Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists close to solving 'Matrix' theory?

Still Waters

The question of whether we live in a real world or a simulated one has plagued philosophers for centuries - but now scientists believe they finally have found a way to test the theory.

http://www.telegraph...rix-theory.html

• Like 1

I wonder if there would be any difference between a naturally occurring universe and a simulated one. I suppose, fundamentally, a naturally occurring universe may have a deeper sub-structure than a simulated universe.

A simulated universe's structure may stop at the quantum scale and the scale at which Relativity operates. Sort of artificial, I mean. A natural universe's origins may lie much deeper than these scales, combining them in some way at a more fundamental level, even beyond string theory (if string theory is at all correct).

Well, if this is a simulated universe, I want to slap the Webmaster.

• Like 8

Wheres the reset button??? I need run a different simulation ....!!!!!! :rofl:

Edited by MidKn13ght
  • Like 4

I wonder if there would be any difference between a naturally occurring universe and a simulated one. I suppose, fundamentally, a naturally occurring universe may have a deeper sub-structure than a simulated universe.

A simulated universe's structure may stop at the quantum scale and the scale at which Relativity operates. Sort of artificial, I mean. A natural universe's origins may lie much deeper than these scales, combining them in some way at a more fundamental level, even beyond string theory (if string theory is at all correct).

Naturally there will be differences as long as not everything is known about the universe.

Wait a minute anyone sensing a paradox too, as if the world they are going to create is how we got stuck here in the first place?

Nothing to worry about . The Mayans are releasing a new up-dated version on Dec 21st .

• Like 4

If we are... then the being that is playing me is very twisted.

:-D

• Like 2

Is figuring out that we are all living in a play or simulation also part of the simulation itself?

Then the gods are really mocking us.

The world is really God playing Sim City. And Sim City is boring unless you create some disasters. Sad but true.

• Like 1

I feel this existence is a deception by an evil demon.

Its the evil genius argument.

Due to some bizarre thought experiments in Quantum Mechanics some scientists believe death may be impossible. They have a Quantum Suicide experiment where you cant top yourself no matter how hard you try.

What is most interesting is religions stance on suicide. Maybe theres a conspiracy going on to stop you doing the one thing which would make you see through the illusion?

Although I cant remember the name of the British MP there was one who got carted off to the mental hospital in the 19th Century for claiming something similar to the Matrix. He claimed to have woken up and existed a reality machine only to be stuffed back in by the people there. The psychologists said he was 100% sane and realised him which is the scarey part.

the British MP there was one who got carted off to the mental hospital in the 19th Century for claiming something similar to the Matrix. He claimed to have woken up and existed a reality machine only to be stuffed back in by the people there. The psychologists said he was 100% sane and realised him which is the scarey part.

Fascinating! Will have to look around for that story.

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 1

I honestly think scientist and philosophers sometimes, think way to much . I am not against them by any means , but naturally if you are over the top smart and always questioning things, there comes a time where you just think way to much . I know this from first hand experience ..

1st: waste of time

2nd: no one care

3rd: it's not likely we can interact with a "real" world if exists

If we're in a Matrix and is a slave of the machines to used as a "battery" then I'm happily accept this simulation life.

Edited by FlyingAngel

What is a naturally occurring universe?

One that has always been there (ifinite)?

Or

A universe that created itself?

Or

One that just popped out of nothing?

All three are illogical fallacies nor scientific nor empirically backed!

What's the alternative? A created/simulated universe. This means everything is a perception and true nature of reality is unknown and beyond sciences scope, creating a computer modelled simulation of virtual reality us best we can do, but like all computer programs there will be bugs due to human nature being prone to error, thus we are not perfect and can't simulate a perfect universe. For example there are no bugs in the simulation we live and exist in

:)

If we are pondering we live in a simulated reality, You suppose that Mario and Luigi are doing the same? lol

If we are pondering we live in a simulated reality, You suppose that Mario and Luigi are doing the same? lol

Eh, probably not, our code isn't anywhere near as advanced as the code used by whoever simulated us. ^_^

Fascinating! Will have to look around for that story.

Agreed, that would be interesting to read. Let me know if you stumble across anything, I couldn't on a few different GOOGLE sesssions...

• Like 1

What an absolute load of garbage ...

See the first sentence in the post .....

The question of whether we live in a real world or a simulated one has plagued philosophers for centuries

For centuries ? How would people who lived " pre computers " even have the comprehension to imagine a " matrix " let alone the internet etc ?

I'm guessing if the movie didn't exist neither would this conversation :td:

TiP.

Edited by tipotep

For millenia, actually, not centuries. A simulation is not limited to computers. The idea is ancient, as Plato's well known allegory of the cave shows. I for one am interested to see if anything will come of this, but I suspect all it will do is raise more questions.

Agreed, that would be interesting to read. Let me know if you stumble across anything, I couldn't on a few different GOOGLE sesssions...

Will do. :tu:

Here's a point to ponder. Assuming this is all a simulation then what's to say the creators of it aren't in a larger one and so on to whatever level you want to take it. Multidimensional spheres within multidimensional spheres within multidimensional spheres ... kind of cool when you think of it.