Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Too much evil in this world

Catz

Today was just one of those days where I look around me and feel almost trapped.

The evil that walk among us terrifies me, angers me beyond words.

My nation today, received the title of "rape capital of the world".

I read everyday of senseless murders, rapes and violent crime - that is the usual in our newspapers and somehow (i suppose to keep your sanity), you become numb to it all.

But today, it's headlines everywhere of a young girl of 17 that was brutally gang raped and left for dead. Not only was she violated, but her insides were torn from her body. Somehow, she managed to survive long enough to name one of the rapists which was her ex-boyfriend.

Today, on most of our radio stations, they had a beep sound every 4 minutes to interrupt the show as to make all aware that a reported rape takes place every 4 minutes in South Africa. That is the reported ones - but it is believed that it's more likely close to a rape taking place every 17 seconds.

I cry for a girl I did not know, and I weep for her family that now somehow must deal with something so horrific.

In another incident, a woman was hacked and her throat slit during an armed robbery. The poor husband found her body..

So senseless, so brutal...

I wish with all my heart that I could remove all this evil. How must one deal with this and live with the knowledge that this evil is walking among us, planning it's next move.

I do not understand why this is allowed to happen. Why this girl was not protected. Where is God when all this madness takes place.

I no longer care for my country and I am among thousands that would love to leave this place for good.

Hundreds of thousands have already left-they are the lucky ones.

Hatred towards these savages consumes me, bitters me, leaves me helpless and hopeless.

• Like 2

Violence takes place all over the animal kingdom, we're really the only ones who make a big deal out of something that natural. It's to be accepted because it'll never stop until we're all dead. Fish gotta' swim, bird gotta' fly.

There is far more good stuff around then evil. We just focus on the bad

Just like how we can get 3 compliments and 1 insult in a day and we will remember/focus on the insult far more then the compliments.

• Like 1

There's many type of violence. They're all the same in that they leave an empty feeling inside you, but this is the worst of them. Kindness and violence dont shut each other out, we do.

Hey man, get into the spirit of the thread! Things are just terrible.
  • Like 3

This more than likely isn't much solace, but consider this...we are unique among the animal kingdom in that we are aware of our mortality. We are the only creatures that we know of that is aware that we will one day die.

As far as the evil that mean do....there was a time that we humans thought that bears and wolves... lions and tigers were evil....they took our loved ones and caused us pain...so they must be evil. the truth is...they are NOT evil...they are just animals being animals in the circle of life.

The difference is, we of the human species have the capacity to choose NOT to do these things. Instead of killing another human, we have the choice to cross the road and move along. it is an odd situation...but make no mistakes about it...we have this animal/primal drive embedded within us. The choice is do we decide to be the animal or to rise to our higher capacity and possibility.

Evil, for the simplest explanation I can think of, is that which causes another physical or emotional harm. No other animal that we are aware of makes these types of judgement calls. To an antelope, if it's mate gets eaten by a lion...it is just life.

This is kinda off topic, but the beginning describes something unusual about us humans...it is how other "humans" are able to control us and "farm us" for their own desires...check it out...there is some profound ideas in here...It shows on one hand we have an oddly unique perception of the world, nature and everything around us...

Enjoy...

• Like 2

Hey man, get into the spirit of the thread! Things are just terrible.

oh sorry, i ment to say

We are all horrible people on this horrible planet. life sucks

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

Just like how we can get 3 compliments and 1 insult in a day and we will remember/focus on the insult far more then the compliments.

I agree with you, it is sometimes the case that we just focus on the bad. I normally do try and focus on the good - the kindness, goodness and beauty in this world.

But as I said, every now and then things do get to you. I would not be human if another's pain does not cause some emotion inside of me.

• Like 4

I sometimes refuse to read about the horrible things of the world, especially if they have no pertinence to me. This seems selfish but it is also a way to keep up one's spirits -- by not being aware of things you can do nothing about except feel guilty.

I think we all have an illusion that we have more power in the world than we really do.

• Like 1

I sometimes refuse to read about the horrible things of the world, especially if they have no pertinence to me. This seems selfish but it is also a way to keep up one's spirits -- by not being aware of things you can do nothing about except feel guilty.

I think we all have an illusion that we have more power in the world than we really do.

Because violent crime is such a problem here, I also made a decision a while ago not to read about the terrible things or watch the daily news. And yes, this helps alot. At least then, you can pretend that everything is just fine and you can rather focus on the good. But yesterday, this incident was headlines everywhere - people were so upset about it-talking about it. I just felt an overwhelming sadness for this poor girl and her family.

• Like 1

It doesnt seem ignoring will make it stop or go away. I understand that sentiment and there's days I must take off for my sanity. But I will never stop trying to make this world a better place. I have a child and I think of him and his future and when I feel weak I gain strength that I am itleast trying to do my part.

• Like 4

I think that line from Boondock Saints covers it quite well

" "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• Like 5

It doesnt seem ignoring will make it stop or go away. I understand that sentiment and there's days I must take off for my sanity. But I will never stop trying to make this world a better place. I have a child and I think of him and his future and when I feel weak I gain strength that I am itleast trying to do my part.

I agree with your sentiment, but think we have to remember our limits. The reason the news is full of all the awful stuff is because people like it. I don't, and I have to actively avoid having my life soured by this stuff. The idea that we try to make this world a better place has a huge chunk of ego in it, and a considerable potential for doing nothing but make things worse and generate a lot of frustration.
  • Like 1

I think that line from Boondock Saints covers it quite well

" "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Well I don't know; the indifferent are kinda by definition not so good, but even compassion must be moderate.

My wife was like that -- she would get upset (I mean really upset) by some item in the news -- some horrible thing that happened. It would make her miserable for days at a time. To what end? There is nothing she can do about it except be upset.

Or, she would start to worry about something -- global warming or overpopulation or what the Chinese might do or how young people are so disrespectful or how awful the air pollution is -- now there are a few things one can and should do about these things, but they aren't going to solve the problem -- they are only going to be a tiny drop in a huge ocean.

When I would try to calm her or get her mind on other things, she would accuse me of not caring, so of course I leaned to just shut up and let it pass.

In the end we can only live our own lives, and can be responsible only for our own happiness (whatever that is). We can't save the world; we can't even make a small dent, and thinking we can is just foolish ego.

I think the best we can is to be the change we want to see in the world. There is a crazy amount of evil going on out there. The most insidious aspect of that is how it affects those of us who are horrified by it. We build walls and mistrust. Hatreds and bitterness creep in. We reflect the evil we see by wishing ill on others who we come to believe are a part of the "system of evil" around us. I really like a quote from The Crow, it always reflects so well the true illness in the world "Victims ... aren't we all".

We have a choice, it's hard to remember and hold onto that notion when we are overwhelmed by the horrors occurring in the world but it is true nonetheless. We can choose not to be the victim of fear, hatred, bitterness and hopelessness - we can be a light instead, a safe haven within ourselves that attracts peace, warmth and comfort, while others are working so hard to attract hatreds. Peace can win, lead by example. Find a reason to laugh and smile each day, it invites others to consider that is a better place to be. ;)

Edit to add: I am watching a report on CNN about this right this minute. They did not specify her injuries and I don't blame them as they are horrific, I also can't comprehend how someone could do this, especially a family friend she grew up with.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 2

Today was just one of those days where I look around me and feel almost trapped.

How's the end of apartheid working out for you? Probably just a bit better than present Zimbabwe (Rhodesia).

How can you expect to have a modern functioning government when you have witch doctors, sorry, Health Ministers, telling people that AIDS can be cured with lemon juice and garlic? Or when a significant portion of the population believes that aids can be cured by raping children?

I'm sorry but not all cultures are the same, no matter what liberal professors would have you believe.

• Like 1

I wonder how many of those woman would be safe if they carried a small concealed handgun. It would probably be a completely reversal with the women killing their attacks, than the attackers succeeding in raping the women.

I wonder how many of those woman would be safe if they carried a small concealed handgun. It would probably be a completely reversal with the women killing their attacks, than the attackers succeeding in raping the women.

Guns are not readily available to people, espeically women in countries across the world.

• Like 1

I read everyday of senseless murders, rapes and violent crime - that is the usual in our newspapers and somehow (i suppose to keep your sanity), you become numb to it all.

But today, it's headlines everywhere of a young girl of 17 that was brutally gang raped and left for dead. Not only was she violated, but her insides were torn from her body. Somehow, she managed to survive long enough to name one of the rapists which was her ex-boyfriend.

Today, on most of our radio stations, they had a beep sound every 4 minutes to interrupt the show as to make all aware that a reported rape takes place every 4 minutes in South Africa. That is the reported ones - but it is believed that it's more likely close to a rape taking place every 17 seconds.

I cry for a girl I did not know, and I weep for her family that now somehow must deal with something so horrific.

In another incident, a woman was hacked and her throat slit during an armed robbery. The poor husband found her body..

I wish with all my heart that I could remove all this evil. How must one deal with this and live with the knowledge that this evil is walking among us, planning it's next move.

I do not understand why this is allowed to happen. Why this girl was not protected. Where is God when all this madness takes place.

I no longer care for my country and I am among thousands that would love to leave this place for good.

Hatred towards these savages consumes me, bitters me, leaves me helpless and hopeless.

The fact that you are so consumed by the pain of others who are abused, just makes you a better person. I hope you can find a way to stay that way without being consumed by the evil that you hate.

• Like 1

The evils in the world enrage me. These are sad and tragic stories. Its about loss. Somebody loves these people. Speaking upon the grief the survivors and relatives bear their whole lives.

Today they are here, laughing, festive, supportive, crying together, thinking of each other, giving to each other, loving each other. Living human beings, that loved and were loved in return. The next day they are gone a life erased forever through a cruel, savage, and ultimate selfish act.

Relatives, friends, and loved ones are the surviving victims.

Some times I think the world has gone mad because of the level of crimes, human cruelty, and indifference that rampantly occurs.

Both South Africa and Zimbabwe are very bad places these days. Innocent farmers have their lands requisitioned and murdered. Whole families massacred. Many women and children have been raped (and killed). This is not the Spirit of God at work.

• Like 4

You know, when I saw the title I saw the same thing. When I read the OP I didn't. I agree, some civilised people do make the world a beter place. This is not the case here. This is the depravity that is shame personified. It is disgusting the people treat each other this way. And I understand the OP "tuning out" Sometimes it can be overload. I feel for the poor girl myself, and I heard about her like 2 minutes ago. This is the sort of thing that challenges one's faith in humanity. For all the good we do, one tends to be remembered for one's last bad act. The bad borrows from the good, the bad leeches from the good, and the bad can overcome the good. It is sad, and I agree, not a picture of humanity, but a facet, ugly and unpolished.

Can this sort of sickness be cured? I doubt the violators can fathom how disgraceful their actions are, if they did, they would not be able to live with themselves. SA scares the hell out of me, I would not visit there if you paid me. Bali too, but for different reasons. I would not set foot there let alone pay to do so. But to turn away is sometimes the only way to deal with this side of existing. Because it is really hard to see a light at the end of that tunnel. I have seen some police reports form SA victims, what I have seen, and what I understand to be a regular occurrence is beyond words. I cannot even begin to fathom any sort of answer. It is depressing to consider, I think if one did not put it out of one's mind from time to time, then one might go quite mad themselves. I think more than this sick act, that we seem helpless to do anything about it is the hardest part to deal with. As was mentioned, Witch Doctors and Superstition also allow so much death, how did the cradle of manking become one of the worst examples? The rest of the world found arts, technology, education and benevolence. Why did our starting place never crawl out of this dark pit? That has long baffled me.

• Like 1

An attacker can take a gun from a woman and use it against her. Guns are not the answer, not for anything. The mind is.

This is what I think the SA Government ought to be ashamed for not distributing freely. $2 a pop, heck, disgraceful these are not extremely common.

South African Dr. Sonnet Ehlers was on call one night four decades ago when a devastated rape victim walked in. Her eyes were lifeless; she was like a breathing corpse.

"She looked at me and said, 'If only I had teeth down there,'" recalled Ehlers, who was a 20-year-old medical researcher at the time. "I promised her I'd do something to help people like her one day."

Forty years later, Rape-aXe was born.

The woman inserts the latex condom like a tampon. Jagged rows of teeth-like hooks line its inside and attach on a man's penis during penetration, Ehlers said.

Once it lodges, only a doctor can remove it -- a procedure Ehlers hopes will be done with authorities on standby to make an arrest.

"It hurts, he cannot pee and walk when it's on," she said. "If he tries to remove it, it will clasp even tighter... however, it doesn't break the skin, and there's no danger of fluid exposure."

story.rape.condom.jpg

LINK - Rape-Ax

I wonder how the rape statistics would go if even 10% of women were known to be using them. Not an offence one is going to repeat I will wager, if there is anything left to repeat offend with, which I feel is the best solution overall.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1