Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Prehistoric lizard found trapped in amber

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,063 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

The complete fossil of a 23 million-year-old lizard has been discovered preserved in a piece of amber.

Nature World News said:

Mexican scientists are currently examining a complete fossil of a lizard that has remained entombed in a chunk of amber for some 23 million years, according to a recent report in La Jornada en Linea.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    GirlfromOz

GirlfromOz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

Most species of insect or animal that have been found  preserved in amber etc have become recent topics of question,most recently,being the most questionable of sources,carbon dating.Just like our questioning of accuracy of any process has been deemed inaccurate.Carbon dating has been deemed inaccurate &,via it's sources due to surrounding contaminations of nearby materials etc. No-one is able to be specific.My questioning is why these scientists seem so specific in their judgement of when & where these creatures existed & as to why they are judged by a seemed theorized date in Earth's history.

Edited by GirlfromOz, 09 July 2013 - 01:19 PM.

#3    Mac E

Mac E

Mass Confuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

• If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

Carbon dating isn't meant to date that far back in history due to the half life of it.  They can look at heavier elemental half lives to determine this age range as well as already established strata in the rock layers where it's found.

#4    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,382 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

View PostGirlfromOz, on 09 July 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

Most species of insect or animal that have been found  preserved in amber etc have become recent topics of question,most recently,being the most questionable of sources,carbon dating.Just like our questioning of accuracy of any process has been deemed inaccurate.Carbon dating has been deemed inaccurate &,via it's sources due to surrounding contaminations of nearby materials etc. No-one is able to be specific.My questioning is why these scientists seem so specific in their judgement of when & where these creatures existed & as to why they are judged by a seemed theorized date in Earth's history.

The article says that they have dated the Chipas amber bed to 23M years ago.  I am sure they didn't use carbon dating as it is too old for that but there are various experimental methods used to date amber http://www.gemologyp...php?title=Amber    none of which is very exact  but 23M years, give or take a million years, should be good enough for this find.

Nice midterms democrats.  As Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#5    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,656 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

Poor little lizard...

Cool article and find.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#6    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,306 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

Huh. Considering how well preserved the lizard is, I think I'll adjust my mortuary details, such to where I'm encased in amber.  :w00t:

#7    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,611 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

View Postpallidin, on 09 July 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

Huh. Considering how well preserved the lizard is, I think I'll adjust my mortuary details, such to where I'm encased in amber.  :w00t:

Would not work, you would have to encased in tree sap, which then has to fossilize.

Good luck.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#8    mesuma

mesuma

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

HUH!! Says the man with three toes

#9    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,656 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:35 AM

I'd be willing to go out into the forests of the Great Northwest and start gathering sap to preserve Pallidin. Agter he starts hardening, I'm going to carve my initials into the amber though.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#10    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,382 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:43 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 10 July 2013 - 12:35 AM, said:

I'd be willing to go out into the forests of the Great Northwest and start gathering sap to preserve Pallidin. Agter he starts hardening, I'm going to carve my initials into the amber though.
Pallidin?

Nice midterms democrats.  As Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#11    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,656 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:05 AM

View PostMerc14, on 10 July 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:

Pallidin?
See post #6 above.....

pallidin
Alien Abducter
  • Posted Image
  • Posted Image
  • 4,885 posts

Edited by DieChecker, 10 July 2013 - 01:06 AM.

#12    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• 1,965 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:15 AM

Very awesome find.

#13    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• 1,965 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:15 AM

It's cool that it still has its skin

Edited by coolguy, 10 July 2013 - 04:16 AM.

#14    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:48 AM

I want it!!

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#15    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,306 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:48 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 10 July 2013 - 12:35 AM, said:

You bring up a good point.

I wonder how long it takes various tree saps to actually harden into what we call "amber" I suppose I could Google that.
Maybe I could "fast track" the hardening through UV lamps. Just kidding of course.

Even still, I presume that preservation starts with sap encasement before final hardening. Perhaps the degree of tissue preservation is dependent on the type of tree sap(how the sap affects tissues, etc...). I don't know.

In any event, you are more than welcome to carve your initials.

Ah heck, maybe I should just make it simple and encase my dead body in fast drying liquid plastic.

But to be in amber sounds more archealogicaly appealing.  :passifier:

Edited by pallidin, 10 July 2013 - 04:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users