Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

God as a Drug: Rise of American Megachurches

Still Waters

American megachurches use stagecraft, sensory pageantry, charismatic leadership and an upbeat, unchallenging vision of Christianity to provide their congregants with a powerful emotional religious experience, according to research from the University of Washington.

"Membership in megachurches is one of the leading ways American Christians worship these days, so, therefore, these churches should be understood," said James Wellman, associate professor of American religion at the University of Washington. "Our study shows that -- contrary to public opinion that tends to pass off the megachurch movement as consumerist religion -- megachurches are doing a pretty effective job for their members. In fact, megachurch members speak eloquently of their spiritual growth."

http://www.scienceda...20819153536.htm

While I can certainly understand the appeal of the come-as-you-are mentality and the inclusion of so many with these churches, I'm afraid of waking up one day to learn that this country is now a theocracy run by these very people.

• Like 2

While I can certainly understand the appeal of the come-as-you-are mentality and the inclusion of so many with these churches, I'm afraid of waking up one day to learn that this country is now a theocracy run by these very people.

It's 1/4 of the way there already.

It's 1/4 of the way there already.

Kinda reminds me of the movie Apocalypto. I just wonder which one will play the role of Spanish Conquistadors, though.

They got as much right as anybody to gather. We are all just Romans deep down inside looking for a bloody show.

Kinda reminds me of the movie Apocalypto. I just wonder which one will play the role of Spanish Conquistadors, though.

I don't know, but one thing is for sure, my family will be the family that disappears deep into the jungle.

• Like 1

They got as much right as anybody to gather. We are all just Romans deep down inside looking for a bloody show.

They do have that right. Unfortunately extremely large groups of people make their own rights regardless of the small minorities. It is the nature of democracy and it's dark side.

• Like 1

That is why we have courts.

That is why we have courts.

Dosnt matter... A large majority makes the laws that the courts must uphold.

No they don't have to uphold them and sometimes they don't. The courts in the US have played an important roll in civil rights. We have come a long way with it and done away with a lot of discrimination through the courts. Which is why we have three branches of government, for checks and balances.

Edited by Darkwind

No they don't have to uphold them and sometimes they don't. The courts in the US have played an important roll in civil rights. We have come a long way with it and done away with a lot of discrimination through the courts. Which is why we have three branches of government, for checks and balances.

I understand but it was the larger public opinion that held the sway. And a continued effort to sway that public opinion. It could go the other way with enough people on board. The minority can have power but only first by gaining support and not being a minority anymore. If enough of America wants a theocracy, they will evenchually have one...... At this point I will no longer be an American.

I think that happen when they put god in pledge. I have often wondered about where I would go if theocracy went offical. Denmark maybe, if they would have me?

I think that happen when they put god in pledge. I have often wondered about where I would go if theocracy went offical. Denmark maybe, if they would have me?

Just stay educated and have something to offer, then you can go anywhere. I'm thinking Australia, I really like all the auzies on um. Or some random jungle island population me.

Just stay educated and have something to offer, then you can go anywhere. I'm thinking Australia, I really like all the auzies on um. Or some random jungle island population me.

Too late, I am too messed up. I guess I'll have to stand my ground. :gun:

Too late, I am too messed up. I guess I'll have to stand my ground. :gun:

Hehe well the enlightened UMer seeker79 is a member of the NRA and a staunch libertarian. So if I can't get out I might join you.

No offence to anyone who is a member of a "mega church", but even speaking as a Catholic I find the idea of such collective worship, with such collective behaviour makes me think one thing - we are the Borg.

• Like 1

I shudder at that idea

No offence to anyone who is a member of a "mega church", but even speaking as a Catholic I find the idea of such collective worship, with such collective behaviour makes me think one thing - we are the Borg.

They are the borg.

Ha! We'd have a better chance of Hitler being cloned than we do of a theocratic takeover, unless this country gets taken over by Islamic extremists.

Its not going to happen. Our people can't stay united because our Constitution gives us each a vote, and you can bet that each person will vote for that which benefits him and those like him.

Anyway, a megachurch has a flaw to it: Christianity was inherently designed to be communal and social, not individualistic. As a stranger visiting several megachurches, I just don't see much strong bonds there. People shake each other's hands and smile, but don't often talk with each other.

Its a natural dynamic of larger gatherings I suppose.

• Like 1

I understand but it was the larger public opinion that held the sway. And a continued effort to sway that public opinion. It could go the other way with enough people on board. The minority can have power but only first by gaining support and not being a minority anymore. If enough of America wants a theocracy, they will evenchually have one...... At this point I will no longer be an American.

At that point it would no longer be America and the Constitution would bo longer exist. At which point I will still stay here and look after my people with love, regardless of my losses. That is how Spirit filled people do things. They don't need the government or a signed piece of paper to give them the liberties they already have from God.

Another "fascination" for the masses and a means to ensure that folk never have time to stop and think for themselves about the big issues - just keep them entertained,their minds filled with distractions and overloaded with with information they don't have time to stop and comprehend clearly and they'll follow right over the edge of the cliff and beyond.

It amuses me when I consider the similarities between "evangelist" and "evil angel", mostly because it makes a sad kind of sense when I see what these mega churches do to their members.

A word to the wise - a mob induced "altered state of euphoria" is a manufactured means of shutting down the part of your mind that thinks rationally and not a good state therefore to come to any "spiritual truth" from - just saying.

At that point it would no longer be America and the Constitution would bo longer exist. At which point I will still stay here and look after my people with love, regardless of my losses. That is how Spirit filled people do things. They don't need the government or a signed piece of paper to give them the liberties they already have from God.

Really? . your not the only one that lives in deep spirituality blue. Thats a easier decision if you are a Christian in a Christian theocracy even if you don't like it . You see "Christians" already practically stomped out my ancestors spirituality ( which is a large part of my own ) and even their race just in the last few hundred years. Yup genocide, and the native American holocost.

And yes blue. You dont need it, but freedom of religion and separation from state sure makes it a lot easier. If these things erode, I will either stand and fight to retrieve them or make my home somewhere else.

Another "fascination" for the masses and a means to ensure that folk never have time to stop and think for themselves about the big issues - just keep them entertained,their minds filled with distractions and overloaded with with information they don't have time to stop and comprehend clearly and they'll follow right over the edge of the cliff and beyond.

It amuses me when I consider the similarities between "evangelist" and "evil angel", mostly because it makes a sad kind of sense when I see what these mega churches do to their members.

A word to the wise - a mob induced "altered state of euphoria" is a manufactured means of shutting down the part of your mind that thinks rationally and not a good state therefore to come to any "spiritual truth" from - just saying.

Yes they can be motivated to move lemming like to some goal given them by a pastor. But they do not have real faith as far as I can see. These types of churches do not evangelize. They do not name sin or teach a need for repentance. Most won't even allow a cross to be placed on top the building. They are hollow shells and as such pose no threat to non believers. They are Laodicea that Christ spoke of in His letters to the churches in Revelation. Lukewarm and without a moral compass.

...an upbeat, unchallenging vision of Christianity"

Wow. I get this. If you tithe to your mega church, you can outsource all of your duties to the poor and vulnerable, because the church takes that money and does what Jesus would allegedly do with it. It's convenient, and UNCHALLENGING. You don't need to go out and find a bunch of homosexuals, or a bunch of refugees, or a bunch of orphaned children, and treat them like human beings. Stay bigoted and racist, and stay home on the couch. You've outsourced your responsibilities via the church.

Unchallenging. That's the word. One of my friends, and her two siblings, were adopted by a Catholic couple, who believed taking in vulnerable kids was a duty to God. When I think of Christianity, I think of that. I think this modern mega church style of Christianity has made people forget that real Christianity is hard work. Salvation through faith alone, is Christianity-Lite.

• Like 1

Really? . your not the only one that lives in deep spirituality blue. Thats a easier decision if you are a Christian in a Christian theocracy even if you don't like it . You see "Christians" already practically stomped out my ancestors spirituality ( which is a large part of my own ) and even their race just in the last few hundred years. Yup genocide, and the native American holocost.

I think your beef is with the Roman Empire and its state religion. It oppresse Christians ONLY because of their religion. Then the Roman Empire legalized it and made it the state religion. And guess, the Romans continued what they were already doing.

So, yes, enduring persecution with dignity is a part of my heritage. I don't need a piece of paper ti protect my rights. Ease isn't always a good thing.

And yes blue. You dont need it, but freedom of religion and separation from state sure makes it a lot easier. If these things erode, I will either stand and fight to retrieve them or make my home somewhere else.

I will do neither. It is the Roman way to retaliate. Before the Christianity got Romanized, the Christians would not go to the law of they werw robbed, would not decry their persecution, and loved their enemies. That is not the Roman way, so it is no surprise why this would get the response from you that it did.