Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Strange things

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    fawkes2

fawkes2

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:54 AM

Recently l have had a few weird occurrences. My tv that l bought last year has been working great but the past few months something odd has been happening. I would have the tv on low and l would leave the room for a few minutes and all of a sudden l would hear the tv full blast. I go back to the room and the tv volume goes down to the level l had it on. I have checked the wiring and everything is fine. This only happens when I'm not in the room and no one else is in the room either.
I do not know what is happening.

Posted Image

#2    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,745 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:53 AM

is it during the commercials? i know that commercials are sometimes broadcast louder than the program is. (that's because they know darned well you've left the room to get a snack or something lol)

JGirl's official tune of the day - hear it here!

Posted Image.. but as for this house of cards you are building..  a butterfly fart would knock it down.

#3    ShadowBoy86x

ShadowBoy86x

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:56 AM

View PostJGirl, on 17 October 2012 - 05:53 AM, said:

is it during the commercials? i know that commercials are sometimes broadcast louder than the program is. (that's because they know darned well you've left the room to get a snack or something lol)

I was just thinking that while i was reading her post

#4    fawkes2

fawkes2

Psychic Spy

• 1,356 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:15 AM

No, it is when the program is on.

Posted Image

#5    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

View Postfawkes2, on 17 October 2012 - 06:15 AM, said:

No, it is when the program is on.

Why are you leaving while the program is still on?  That's madness!  j/k

#6    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

Sounds like somebody next door has a universal remote and is effing with your head, sir.  When you say you "checked the wiring"  what do you mean?  You popped open your almost new - year old TV and being an expert in TV construction and electronics you went through all the wires with a voltage meter to see if there were any faults or shorts?

#7    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,745 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 17 October 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

Sounds like somebody next door has a universal remote and is effing with your head, sir.  When you say you "checked the wiring"  what do you mean?  You popped open your almost new - year old TV and being an expert in TV construction and electronics you went through all the wires with a voltage meter to see if there were any faults or shorts?
my guess is that he is referring to the house wiring, not the tv wiring. in any case wiring is not going to interfere with the volume. either you will have power or you won't.

Posted Image.. but as for this house of cards you are building..  a butterfly fart would knock it down.

#8    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,754 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

View PostJGirl, on 17 October 2012 - 05:53 AM, said:

The History Channel is notorious for this. Drives me nuts.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#9    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,745 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 17 October 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

The History Channel is notorious for this. Drives me nuts.
on the rare occasion that i watch television i hold the remote so i can immediately mute commericials. i joke about having only so much room left in my brain and i sure don't want to fill it with advertisements!

#10    scowl

scowl

Photographic Phraud

• 4,057 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

View Postfawkes2, on 17 October 2012 - 04:54 AM, said:

Recently l have had a few weird occurrences. My tv that l bought last year has been working great but the past few months something odd has been happening. I would have the tv on low and l would leave the room for a few minutes and all of a sudden l would hear the tv full blast. I go back to the room and the tv volume goes down to the level l had it on.

Your television is broken. Contact the manufacturer.

What are the other occurrences?

#11    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• 1,947 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

Recently l have had a few weird occurrences. My tv that l bought last year has been working great but the past few months something odd has been happening. I would have the tv on low and l would leave the room for a few minutes and all of a sudden l would hear the tv full blast. I go back to the room and the tv volume goes down to the level l had it on. I have checked the wiring and everything is fine. This only happens when I'm not in the room and no one else is in the room either.
You have checked the wiring - meaning what exactly?  Are you a TV/electronics engineer or had the TV checked by such?

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#12    fawkes2

fawkes2

Psychic Spy

• 1,356 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

The other experience l have had in the past.
One that had happen to me. One night l was walking down the hallway towards the bathroom when l seen my dad standing by my niece's crib (my dad past away earlier that year.) I looked away and looked back and he was gone.
A few months later l could hear footsteps just outside of my bedroom. I went out of my room yelling " who's there. " l got no answer. I searched every room and nobody but myself where there.

Posted Image

#13    fawkes2

fawkes2

Psychic Spy

• 1,356 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

I forgot to mention. When l said check the wiring l just mean the cable cord and the cable to the TV.

Edited by fawkes2, 17 October 2012 - 07:20 PM.

Posted Image

#14    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• 1,358 posts

• Finite to fail, infinite to venture!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:58 AM

Sounds a little like what happened at my friends house. He has lived there all his life and it's an interesting place, several bizarre things have happened. Anyhoo one night around 2am he is woken by the television in the living room on full blast, everyone is in bed, he thinks someone is in there, perhaps a little drunk and merry. He shuffles down the steps and the TV actually turns itself RIGHT down as he approaches the door (no commercials, some documentary about the ocean) and he goes in, it has turned off. That's really strange so I can understand your confusion! I suppose electronic malfunction is a possibility but just as unlikely as a spirit intefering with the living's TV set! :w00t:

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#15    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

• Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today...
    As You don't know what tomorrow bring's.......

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:25 AM

It could be due to an "intermittent fault" on the tv...

http://en.wikipedia....ermittent_fault

The most likely cause is a "dry joint" on the sound board in the tv....

Attached File  dry joint.jpg   8.64K   8 downloads

Pic of a typical "dry joint"....

It is also possible  it could be a component (capacitor, resistor etc) that is overheating, after the television has warmed up/been on for a while

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users