Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

world wide flood

et's daddy

while reading old threads that contained posts about Noah's Ark i came across a post that asked if the flood were true where did all the water go

something occurred to me

is it possible all the water went into the ocean ?

i mean maybe the ocean wasnt at the level it is now

seems that could help explain why some structures, like that place in Japan, are now underwater

http://www.lauralee.com/japan.htm

or here : http://www.crystalinks.com/atlantisasher.html

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stellar

• et's daddy

• Hotoke

• KevinM

is it possible all the water went into the ocean ?

Not really... As you know, gravity pulls on water. The rain must have filled up the oceans and then some to cover the land and mountains. Since the ocean was already pretty much filled, where did the excess water go to?

what evidence is there that the oceans were already pretty much full ?

as now the earth is 75% covered with water

maybe before the flood it was only 50% covered ?

this is just an idea, im in no way stating it a believed fact

just something to toss around

Yes, but in order for there to have been a flood to reach the heights of mountains, where everything was flooded so that nothing could survive, the oceans would have been filled up along with the rest of the earth.

only if the story is to be taken literally

i believe it is accepted the bible was told from the perspective of the peoples knowledge of the time

meaning if your world(your know of world) was flooded, then in your mind the entire world was flooded

doesnt mean that is actually true

if your entire vision of existance is a desert you may write that the world is hot, when in fact the entire world isnt hot

meaning if your world(your know of world) was flooded, then in your mind the entire world was flooded

Alright, well, from that perspective, the flood could have simply been a tsunami. Eitherway, the water for the flood (assuming it rained) would have came from bodies of water initially, and then pourred down on the world to flood it...

thought there was evidence of water in the atmosphere ?

and we do find dry lake beds and rivers maybe the water came from there

something has to explain the buildings now being underwater

When one examines the biblical passages, it is clear that the flood was global. Genesis 7:11 states that "all of the fountains of the great deep were broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened." It is apparent from Genesis 1:6-7 and 2:6 that the pre-flood environment was much different from that which we experience today. Based on these and other biblical descriptions, as well as the fossil record and present geological findings, it is reasonably speculated that at one time the earth was covered by some kind of water canopy. This canopy could have been a vapor canopy or could have consisted of rings, somewhat like Saturn's ice rings. This, in combination with a major layer of water underground, both being released upon the land (Genesis 2:6) would have resulted in a global flood.

The clearest verses that show the extent of the flood are Genesis 7:19-23: "And the waters prevailed exceedingly on the earth, and all the high hills under the whole heaven were covered. The waters prevailed fifteen cubits upward, and the mountains were covered. And all flesh died that moved on the earth: birds and cattle and beasts and every creeping thing that creeps on the earth, and every man. All in whose nostrils was the breath of the spirit of life, all that was on the dry land, died. So He destroyed all living things which were on the face of the ground: both man and cattle, creeping thing and bird of the air. They were destroyed from the earth. Only Noah and those who were with him in the ark remained alive" (NKJV).

In the above passage we not only find the word "all" being used repeatedly, but we also find phrases such as "and all the high hills under the whole heaven were covered," "the waters prevailed fifteen cubits upward, and the mountains were covered" (enough to allow the ark to pass over them safely), and "all flesh died that moved on the earth: birds and cattle and beasts and every creeping thing that creeps on the earth, and every man," etc. If these descriptions are not meant to describe a universal flood covering the whole earth, I don't know how God could have made it clearer. Also, if the flood was only localized, why did God instruct Noah to build an ark instead of merely causing the animals to migrate and telling Noah to do the same? And why did He instruct Noah to build an ark large enough to house all of the different kinds of land animals found on the earth today. One might note that even dinosaurs start out small, and it would not have been necessary for Noah to have brought fully grown animals onto the ark.

God did instruct Noah to put two of every land animal (aquatic wildlife was excluded) onto the ark (Genesis 6:19-22) with the exception of ceremonial clean animals and for all birds, of which he was to have seven of each kind on the ark (Genesis 7:2-3).

Peter also describes the universality of the flood in 2 Peter 3:6-7 in which he states: "by which the world that then existed perished, being flooded with water. But the heavens and the earth which are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men" (NKJV). In these verses Peter compares the "universal" coming judgment to the flood of Noah's time and states that the world that then existed was flooded with water. Also, God’s promise (Genesis 8:21; 9:11, 15) never again to send such a flood has been broken repeatedly if it were only a local flood. Further, all men in the world today are said to have descended from Noah’s three sons (Genesis 9:1, 19) and many later Biblical writers accepted the historicity of the worldwide Flood (Isaiah 54:9; 1 Peter 3:20; 2 Peter 2:5; Hebrews 11:7). Lastly, the Lord Jesus Christ believed in the universal Flood and took it as the type of the coming destruction of the world when He returns (Matthew 24:37-39; Luke 17:26, 27).

There are many extra-biblical evidences that point to a worldwide catastrophe such as a global flood. The vast fossil graveyards found on every continent, the large amount of coal deposits that would require the rapid covering of vast quantities of vegetation, the fact that oceanic fossils are found upon mountain tops around the world, the over 270 flood stories from all parts of the world, and the large extent of geological formations showing vast layers of sedimentary deposits (including those found in the Grand Canyon) all lend credence to the occurrence of a global flood.

http://www.gotquestions.org/global-flood.html

Slightly out of topic...but is it possible a large amount of mass (ice or solid) entered the ocean and caused it to rise...like when you put bricks into a bath or something....simply rises....say amount of mass from a moon / meteors that fragmented down to our planet tongue.gif?

would have to be LARGE enough to cause the rise...either that or we really did once have a Firmament....

Yes, but in order for there to have been a flood to reach the heights of mountains, where everything was flooded so that nothing could survive, the oceans would have been filled up along with the rest of the earth.

492334[/snapback]

It would take both ice caps to melt completely to pull this off. And even then, there would still be tiny caps of the highest mountains jutting above the water.

Also, about the meteor thing, the rock would have to be large enough to displace enough of the ocean to cover all the land, around the entire world. That rock would be HUGE to say the least.

And the known world back then consisted of the middle-east, southern europe, south-east asia, Indus, and middle to northern africa. With that note, I would tend to think that the "Flood" was only regional, ie the Med. Sea. It is known that the small island of Cyprus was at one time connected to land, and has since had part of it submerged. This is also where new investigations are looking for Atlantis.

Could be? Not sure...

At least this is what I've read. Be gentle... blink.gif

Edited by LordBailey

Also, about the meteor thing, the rock would have to be large enough to displace enough of the ocean to cover all the land, around the entire world. That rock would be HUGE to say the least.
For a global tidal wave it would not have to be that huge.

The story of the Flood most likely comes from an area were it rained to much a river swelled up and some people and animales were on a barge and they floated out to see, and when they landed they told of there story.

~Thanato

For a global tidal wave it would not have to be that huge.

492846[/snapback]

According to several scales and models that I have looked into. In order to create a large enough tidal wave to cover the entire globe from top to bottom, it would have to be at least 9 miles wide (about the size of Manhatten Island), and it would have to hit central in the Pacific ocean, this and anything larger than this, are considered "world killers". At least that's what I've read...

Also about the sea shell thing on the mountains...This is simply because of moving techtonic plates. As you more than likely know, when plates move, it causes an Earth Quake, and when they collide, they create mountains. Of course this occurs over millions of years.

Anyway, off work now....laters thumbsup.gif

Edited by LordBailey

Also about the sea shell thing on the mountains...This is simply because of moving techtonic plates. As you more than likely know, when plates move, it causes an Earth Quake, and when they collide, they create mountains. Of course this occurs over millions of years.
This I have known for years, But thanks anyway

Since water goes in a cycle, I don't think that much water can suddenly appear from nowhere or disappear into nowhere. I think the sea levels were lower than now, and when the glaciers melted at the end of the ice age, the water levels rose. As for covering the tops of mountains, every island is a mountain from under water. I think it's a global flood, because there are myths from the mayans in the Yucatan that speak of a geat flood. There are also sunken cities in japan, the bay of bengal, and off of alexandria.

as for , "where did the water go ? "

how about this idea ?

sometimes there are earthquakes that open cracks in the ground

well, maybe there were quakes that opened holes in the ocean floor ? the water level lowered as the water rushed in and filled this new cavity. thumbsup.gif

is there a way you can tell me that isnt possible ?

well, maybe there were quakes that opened holes in the ocean floor ? the water level lowered as the water rushed in and filled this new cavity. thumbsup.gif

Sure. Take for example an impact crater. With an impact crater, you have the whole in the ground... but then you also have a ring around the crater with sand that is higher than the ground outside of the ring.

Imagine that there was a crack in the middle of the atlantic... the water in the atlantic would lower, but one land mass (say NA in this instance) got pushed in order to create that crack. That would result in the pacific water level rising. When the world is flooded... a crack in the atlantic would suck the water into it... but the water would be "compacted" on the other side of the landmass raising the water level there... the gravity then pulls down the water to "smoothen" it out again...

Action/reaction

The amount of water stays the same in both cases.

This might be a little out there for some-people but I will give you my 2cents.

Throughout History there has always been records of Huge Floods that covered the world and ended many cultures. It might just be the our solar system is made up of 12 planets and Nirbu the 12 planet on a olipitcal orbit comes around every 8000 years or so. (can't remember the exact date)

So as it comes closer to our little planet the huge gravity force pulls on all the water mass and hence creating huge floods world wide.

I am not an expert on this, so have a look for a writer by the Name of Stichen (sp) I have read a few of his books and they are interesting to say the least. geek.gif

This might be a little out there for some-people but I will give you my 2cents.

Throughout History there has always been records of Huge Floods that covered the world and ended many cultures. It might just be the our solar system is made up of 12 planets and Nirbu the 12 planet on a olipitcal orbit comes around every 8000 years or so. (can't remember the exact date)

So as it comes closer to our little planet the huge gravity force pulls on all the water mass and hence creating huge floods world wide.

I am not an expert on this, so have a look for a writer by the Name of Stichen (sp) I have read a few of his books and they are interesting to say the least.  geek.gif

494837[/snapback]

12 planets huh? whats the 10th and 11th?

How come the 12th with this huge gravity hasnt been spotted?

Sitchen is a fraud. He claims that he and only he can read the sumerian tablets... his stories dont match with any of the *professionals* that have deciphered the sumerian tablets.

ET's Daddy is right tongue.gif

Read Graham Hancock's "Underworld"

12,000 yrs ago, the Laurentian Dam broke at the end of the ice age and not only raised sea levels 30 feet around the globe but the resulting pressure on th ocean's floor caused all sorts of earthquake and volcanic activity that reduced the population of the earth and destroyed many of ancient civilization's greatest cities. Any way read the book. ohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gif

Sure. Take for example an impact crater. With an impact crater, you have the whole in the ground... but then you also have a ring around the crater with sand that is higher than the ground outside of the ring.

Imagine that there was a crack in the middle of the atlantic... the water in the atlantic would lower, but one land mass (say NA in this instance) got pushed in order to create that crack. That would result in the pacific water level rising. When the world is flooded... a crack in the atlantic would suck the water into it... but the water would be "compacted" on the other side of the landmass raising the water level there... the gravity then pulls down the water to "smoothen" it out again...

Action/reaction

The amount of water stays the same in both cases.

494149[/snapback]

ok pls consider this example ,and maybe i just dont get what youre saying

take a bowling ball.....glue continents to the sides of the ball........fill the spaces with water.......(yes i know the water wont stay, but work with me here).........now put a crack in the ball........the water level lowers as it fills the crack.........but the continents on the ball didnt shift because of the crack and make the water on the other side rise.........though, if we use your theory, that the water in the pacific would rise......that would help explain the underwater buildings in japan

ET's Daddy is right tongue.gif

Read Graham Hancock's "Underworld"

12,000 yrs ago, the Laurentian Dam broke at the end of the ice age and not only raised sea levels 30 feet around the globe but the resulting pressure on th ocean's floor caused all sorts of earthquake and volcanic activity that reduced the population of the earth and destroyed many of ancient civilization's greatest cities. Any way read the book.

Graham Hancock has a credibility problem though.

take a bowling ball.....glue continents to the sides of the ball........fill the spaces with water.......(yes i know the water wont stay, but work with me here).........now put a crack in the ball........the water level lowers as it fills the crack.........but the continents on the ball didnt shift because of the crack and make the water on the other side rise.........though, if we use your theory, that the water in the pacific would rise......that would help explain the underwater buildings in japan

The problem you're having with understanding is because you're using a crack. Even a crack displaces the rest of the ball, but so minutely you dont even notice it. Unless you're proposing that some of the material that the bowling ball was made of suddenly dissappeared and thats what formed the crack?

ok then, the debris from some of these cracks goes into caves and caverns underwater.

there ya go, the debris didnt disappear and the water level on the other side didnt rise

thumbsup.gif

unless you wanna tell me underwater caves dont exist