Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Psychology Of Color

Kevin28

Sorry, I dont have more time to go into it, but it is a subject that fascinates me - and I have worked with it.

Also the history and significance of our ability to replicate colours ; from the palaeolithic palette, through to the adding of colours at different times in history.

I also have an interest in the 'magical' ( or 'psychological' if one prefers ) use of colour . LIber 777 has some interesting attributions to colour.

Also , approaching the same idea from another angle, I like the ideas of colour theorist Don Parvey.

Then there is the 'old' Goethe idea .

A large subject !

• Like 3

Perception of colours is greatly influenced by la guage and vocabulary, mainly distinct names for very similar colours. There is a documentary by channel 4 or bbc not sure, intitled "what you see is not what i see" (or a very similar name), VERY WORTH to watch

• Like 1

Culture and Tradition holds greater influences on perception and emotional responses ~ though greatly numbed and increasingly dissuasive in recent times due to the onslaught of media and medium, digital and not, so constant in our daily lives ~

~

Kevin, your second clip mentions use of colour to promote mood shifts in films. The first film version of 'Death in Venice', although not shot in black & white, used a lot of white for clothing, buildings and background generally which resulted in a dreamlike, ethereal quality to the entire film ...... beautiful!

An instance of when the choice of colour to manipulate others went badly wrong: a Premiership football club painted the visiting teams changing room pink and their own team's blue. The pink was meant to suggest girlyness, indicating the visiting team were cissies, but in fact, pink rooms make the inhabitants feel secure and protected and therefore strong! The blue room, meant to indicate how manly the occupants were, simply made them feel cold and distant from one another ....... not conducive to team spirit!

I love colour and I'm constantly aware of it in my life ..... from the colour of the clothes I wear( some colours I could never wear, some only if I was in the mood for them), to the colour of items around the house(some jars turned to 'face' the wall so that I can't see a colour on them that I don't like; washing arranged on the line in a sequence that is pleasing to me, etc. etc.).

• Like 1

Yup I was into the image the most so i posted the source to it so it could explain a bit. Wasn't sure how many knew about this so I just posted that 1 link. There are other videos about this if people get interested just from that link.

An interesting subject for artist. A powerful tool used by most leading graphic designers around the world. Colour along with form go hand in hand. (As the first link shows).

Much of it relating back to our upbringing in what we "See" growing up in our natural environment.

And the most dominating colour combination? It too, can be related back to Nature. The Asians use the Three Dragons as Natures own provided. Wind, Fire and Water= White/Red/Blue.

I'm wondering why we like bright colors? Flowers, Christmas tree lights, the flashing lights on police cars, the bright signs in front of stores, etc. Of what evolutionary advantage is there is liking bright colored lights?

• Like 1

I'm wondering why we like bright colors? Flowers, Christmas tree lights, the flashing lights on police cars, the bright signs in front of stores, etc. Of what evolutionary advantage is there is liking bright colored lights?

Colours with Hue as apposed to tone. Are seen as uplifting. Flowers use colour to attract attention to survive (pollen).

Police car lights are chosen for subtlety, but catch attention (Blue/ red) Also can be seen in varying light source, day or night.

Native Indians, used this example to appear more dangerous to there enemies. As do Bee's and Wasp's.

Flashing lights.. I believe, comes from birth. As babies, we have no focus in sight. So we rely on Sounds and colour. Bright or flickering light will always catch attention through a sea of colour wash. We carry that on thro adulthood.

Why when we look at buildings at ground level they appear fine. But if we are forced to look up. We see the illusion that the buildings are "Narrowing" the taller they go.. Tho they are not!

This perspective is conditioned into us all (Given you have sight) from birth.

This very fact has to be taken into account when "Drawing/painting" landscapes. Failing add the needed perspective will give the look to the viewer that the image is incorrect.

Colour plays a roll to our sensors as any other. Heat, Cold, Pain, Sickness, Pressure, taste, etc.

• Like 2

Sorry, I dont have more time to go into it, but it is a subject that fascinates me - and I have worked with it.

Also the history and significance of our ability to replicate colours ; from the palaeolithic palette, through to the adding of colours at different times in history.

I also have an interest in the 'magical' ( or 'psychological' if one prefers ) use of colour . LIber 777 has some interesting attributions to colour.

Also , approaching the same idea from another angle, I like the ideas of colour theorist Don Parvey.

Then there is the 'old' Goethe idea .

A large subject !

Inspired by your post to revisit Goethe's ideas, I've bought a copy of his 'Theory of Colour' from ebay ...... it's just arrived, so that's my weekend reading sorted :) . I studied it a little when I was involved with a Rudolf Steiner school(he was a big fan of Goethe), but I've forgotten it all now.

The book that has been sent to me has a different cover to the one in the ebay ad, and I hate it! I'm going to have to cover it with plain paper :lol: I actually had to place it face down on my desk because it was making my nerves jangle, hahaha! It shows a block of 9 squares, each with varying amounts of bright green and eye-watering red in them.

• Like 2

I remember the quote, "Flowers are Nature laughing". Maybe colors amuse us.

• Like 1

Inspired by your post to revisit Goethe's ideas, I've bought a copy of his 'Theory of Colour' from ebay ...... it's just arrived, so that's my weekend reading sorted :) . I studied it a little when I was involved with a Rudolf Steiner school(he was a big fan of Goethe), but I've forgotten it all now.

The book that has been sent to me has a different cover to the one in the ebay ad, and I hate it! I'm going to have to cover it with plain paper :lol: I actually had to place it face down on my desk because it was making my nerves jangle, hahaha! It shows a block of 9 squares, each with varying amounts of bright green and eye-watering red in them.

'Flashing' colours ?

I hate the red / green. The yellow / purple is more my vibe

primary-elements1.jpg

What was your involvement with Steiner School ? I taught some classes at one - year 10 . Did some colour theory and number theory / art with them, some based on the generation of 'magic squares' .

• Like 1

'Flashing' colours ?

I hate the red / green. The yellow / purple is more my vibe

primary-elements1.jpg

What was your involvement with Steiner School ? I taught some classes at one - year 10 . Did some colour theory and number theory / art with them, some based on the generation of 'magic squares' .

Yes, that's the exact combination on the book cover *shudders*. I don't like any of those colour combinations but the yellow/purple is the most bearable.

I was a kindergarten assistant and then a kindergarten teacher.

Depends on the background color for those three color combinations ~ it will be an interesting experiment if you have never tried it .

Use any image editor and change the background color ~ from the grey scales (16 levels will do fine) or any tints of the secondary colors since the combination is primaries it is redundant for this particular experiment ~ have fun ! :)

- note : the shapes and size ratio of the color blocks does have an effect too but not as discernible as that between the background and focused interactions of the combinations

• Like 2