Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meteorite: Evidence for Life on Mars?

Waspie_Dwarf

Martian meteorite yields more evidence of the possibility of life on Mars

A tiny fragment of Martian meteorite 1.3 billion years old is helping to make the case for the possibility of life on Mars, say scientists.

The finding of a ‘cell-like’ structure, which investigators now know once held water, came about as a result of collaboration between scientists in the UK and Greece. Their findings are published in the latest edition of the journal Astrobiology.

While investigating the Martian meteorite, known as Nakhla, Dr Elias Chatzitheodoridis of the National Technical University of Athens found an unusual feature embedded deep within the rock. In a bid to understand what it might be, he teamed up with long-time friend and collaborator Professor Ian Lyon at the University of Manchester.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Great news! We need to quickly get a rover to mars and start the searching for life... Oh thats right we already have ;)

We need to quickly get a rover to mars and start the searching for life...Oh thats right we already have ;)

Actually we don't. Curiosity is not designed to look for life, it is designed to look to see if the conditions for life existed on Mars in the past... something it has already shown to be true.

Future missions, NASA's Mars 2020 rover and ESA/Roscosmos ExoMars rover WILL look for life, however they will not be able to look inside rocks and use powerful electron microscopes to look for single cell fossils.

• Like 1

True, true, but if its evolved beyond the microscopic, the rover cameras will hopefully glimpse it.

Edited by taniwha

True, true, but if its evolved beyond the microscopic, the rover cameras will hopefully glimpse it.

If two Viking landers, the Mars Pathfinder lander, the Sojourner rover, the two Mars Exploration rovers (Spirit and Opportunity) and the Phoenix lander all failed to take a single image showing any sign of macroscopic life, what possesses you to think that Curiosity will?

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

Nope. No signs of life. It only happened here. We are it

You've checker the trillions of other planets in the universe then?

Perhaps we are the descendants of the Martians. By the time we humans use all of the Earth's resources, Venus may be ready or maybe we'll have the hibernation technology to send manned deep space missions.

just trying to be optimistic for a change. Really it's my pain meds talking. I'll be back to normal soon. :passifier:

Perhaps we are the descendants of the Martians. By the time we humans use all of the Earth's resources, Venus may be ready or maybe we'll have the hibernation technology to send manned deep space missions.

just trying to be optimistic for a change. Really it's my pain meds talking. I'll be back to normal soon. :passifier:

After reading the article, I had the exact same thought as you did.

I guess I also need meds! LOL :cry:

After reading the article, I had the exact same thought as you did.

I guess I also need meds! LOL :cry:

Not suprisingly there is nothing positive indicating it is martian fossil, earth is the only place known to have fossils.

Lol, However IF it happened to be true all it means is that a fossil landed on earth, that has about as much likelihood of seeding life as us firing a T-Rex bone at mars and hoping to seed life there. If anything it has brought death not life, in fossil form, and death to any living creature unfortunate enough to be crushed by its impact.

If two Viking landers, the Mars Pathfinder lander, the Sojourner rover, the two Mars Exploration rovers (Spirit and Opportunity) and the Phoenix lander all failed to take a single image showing any sign of macroscopic life, what possesses you to think that Curiosity will?

- Albert Einstein

Well in that case we need better tech, if a fossil of any type is found on mars a test is needed to rule out if an earth meteorite was its origin.

There could be life on Titan and Europa.... I would given up on Mars !

It is foolish to spend so much time on just one goal especially when we already know what's in there.

Edited by qxcontinuum

There could be life on Titan and Europa.... I would given up on Mars !

It is foolish to spend so much time on just one goal especially when we already know what's in there.

I guess it is a good thing that you are not in charge of NASA or ESA then. How can you say that we allready know what is on Mars, when we have only examined a tiny bit of it ?

But I agree that Europa is a very interesting moon and should be surveyed more extensively, and plans are being made to do just that.