Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flying ant day 'a summer myth'

Still Waters

That's because it is more of a 'flying ant month', well it is where I live/work...

Surely even 'Animal Lovers' must get annoyed by these little gits.

Edited by Junior Chubb

I don't know if "a day" is a myth, but I did live on a tropical island where a couple of times flying ants did swarm, and they were everywhere, inside the house & out. I was happy it was just ants and not those big flying roaches!

In my garden I think it usually happens over about a week at the very most. As the survey found, it happens late afternoon and when the weather has been especially hot and with hardly any wind.

And yes, Chubb, it pains me to say this, but ants(along with wasps), irritate the heck out of me!

Edited by ouija ouija

my mom once brought a big potted plant and brought it home in the car, the cars vibrating caused loads of flying ants to swarm the car. i had to dispose of them one by one lol

• Like 1

I remember as a kid in Central New York State that there were a few days every summer that swarms of flying ants would happen. It also brought out swarms of toads as well. I always thought it was a very interesting occurrence. As I got older I noticed that the swarming stopped.

Any time it rains, the fire ants come out and take flight. I think the wet soil makes it easier for them to dig.

Like the new hair colour Hasina, I hope thats not a one day myth... ;)

Like the new hair colour Hasina, I hope thats not a one day myth... ;)

Thank ya! And how do you mean? Do you mean me changing my avatar all the time?

Thank ya! And how do you mean? Do you mean me changing my avatar all the time?

The 'myth' was just a reference to the thread so I can't be accused of going of topic by flattering your new hair colour. ;)

But as it looks good I do hope it stay a while...

Edited by Junior Chubb