Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are Ghosts Real? Science Says No-o-o-o

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you believe ghosts are real? (78 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you believe ghosts are real?

1. Yes (53 votes [67.95%])

Percentage of vote: 67.95%

2. No (25 votes [32.05%])

Percentage of vote: 32.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#76    wimfloppp

wimfloppp

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

why is it that people say they have been in contact with someone who died a hundred years ago but never from someone who died in the stoneage.

#77    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,260 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

I know someone who has had contact with Barbarossa (Frederick I) Holy Roman Emperor.  Valuable first hand historical source.

#78    merline48

merline48

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

I believe that 'ghosts' ie people or animals that have previously lived do not exist. However, we are not the only created things here on earth. There are other creations too that exist in different yet parallel planes to us. These beings can see us, but we can't see them. They can enter our three dimensional life but as they exist in other higher dimensions, we cannot enter their's...They are able to shape shift, enter or control other humans and animals; they can appear as ghosts, smoke,UFOs or lights etc - these are all forms that our senses can recognise and therefore their existence can be verified . There are known as the jinn.

#79    _Only

_Only

• 6,593 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

View Postwimfloppp, on 06 February 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

why is it that people say they have been in contact with someone who died a hundred years ago but never from someone who died in the stoneage.

People have supposedly seen 'ghosts' of people from all time periods. There isn't a shortage of sighted 'ghosts' from early time periods, and no monopoly by 100 year old ghosts.

http://www.paralumun.com/ghostage.htm

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#80    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

View Post_Only, on 06 February 2013 - 03:35 AM, said:

The question is then who you are going to believe. Are you going to trust what you saw and interpret it yourself? Or trust others to tell you did or didn't see? You already know the answer to that, though. This was more directed, erm, indirectly, to the post above.

In other words would you rather believe what you want to believe, or would you rather believe in the truth?

Some of us choose the truth.

#81    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

Ghosts are in the Realm of the Paranormal/Supernatural. It is Science's Job to Explain this Phenomenon and bring them into the realm of "Normal". For example Lightning was supposed to be from Thor/Zeus when he was p***ed. But through the Scientific Method it was brought into the realm of normal.

#82    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,630 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

With so many basic contradictory theories — and so little science brought to bear on the topic

I thought scientists would have to study something to have a conclusion.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#83    fran123

fran123

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Believing ghosts exist is one thing, actual sightings another. I feel the question should be followed up with: "Do you believe that you have genuinely seen a ghost?" That way we might get an idea of how many people think they have seen something which is paranormal.

#84    _Only

_Only

• 6,593 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

View Postscowl, on 06 February 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

In other words would you rather believe what you want to believe, or would you rather believe in the truth?

What truth, in this case? That what she saw didn't
happen? Who are you to tell her that? That's what you believe, which it seems you have made, our truth.

Edited by _Only, 06 February 2013 - 08:17 PM.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#85    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

View Postfran123, on 06 February 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

Believing ghosts exist is one thing, actual sightings another. I feel the question should be followed up with: "Do you believe that you have genuinely seen a ghost?" That way we might get an idea of how many people think they have seen something which is paranormal.

No because it's just irrelevant.

I'll quote the article once more because some ppl really have difficulty to understand the invalidity of experiences by the senses:

The science and logic of ghosts
Personal experience is one thing, but scientific evidence is another matter

#86    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

View Post_Only, on 06 February 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

What truth, in this case? That what she saw didn't
happen? Who are you to tell her that? That's what you believe, which it seems you have made, our truth.

People often misinterpret what they see. We are predisposed to interpreting the unexpected in common ways. In our culture, if anyone sees a white blob they presume it must be the spirit of someone who has died.

Unless they want it to be an angel.

Or unless they want it to be Jesus.

Or unless they want it to be an alien.

Or it turns out to be something else entirely.

See how interpretation plays a critical part in "ghost" sightings?

#87    Mr Supertypo

Mr Supertypo

Hi...

• 1,806 posts

• not for nothing, but you sound like a half [...]

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

My childhood house was haunted. I remember seeing things and we could listen to weird sounds, even voices in empty rooms. But Whatever is my personal conviction its irrilevant to the matter. There is actually no evidence for anything that can be considered ghosts (in the traditional sense). Right now, its outside our grasp. Maybe in 100y we can have enough understanding in psychics that we can confirm or definitively disprove the existence of non physical beings

Finally got my black belt....

#88    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

View PostUncle Sam, on 01 February 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

I am atheist and I value science, but I seen things that I can't explain. Like Indians and Civil War figures, showing up at history landmarks. Even been attacked once...

I hope your mom is feeling Better US .

Miss me?

#89    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

View Post~C.S.M~, on 07 February 2013 - 08:00 PM, said:

My childhood house was haunted. I remember seeing things and we could listen to weird sounds, even voices in empty rooms. But Whatever is my personal conviction its irrilevant to the matter. There is actually no evidence for anything that can be considered ghosts (in the traditional sense). Right now, its outside our grasp. Maybe in 100y we can have enough understanding in psychics that we can confirm or definitively disprove the existence of non physical beings

One fun exercise I had in a psychology class was to listen to a recording of voices in a room and try to determine their gender and age. What we thought were people saying short words were ordinary noises like bumps, heating vents, and simple movement of the building -- the room had been unoccupied. Since we were expecting voices, our brains helpfully interpreted them that way. This trick is regularly used during investigations on "Fact or Faked".

I think this effect is part of what we experience as "ghosts". All day we are bombarded with sounds that we ignore. If we believe these sounds have some significance, we'll start misinterpreting them.

#90    Ghostsstory

Ghostsstory

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

• I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.

-Socrates

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

View Postali smack, on 02 February 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

just because science says something doesn't exist, doesn't make Science right.Science is arrogant and dismisses anything it can't explain or understand.

Absolutely. Science can only go as far as current technology allows. There was a time when Scientists believed the world was flat; With today's modern technology, we know just how ridiculous that sounds and we know that earth is indeed not flat.

Who knows what kind of technology we'll have 100, 200, 500 or even 5,000 years from now. The whole argument on the existence of ghosts and the afterlife will sound just as ridiculous as the flat earth theory sounds now.

Though I can not prove a single shred of my paranormal experiences, I know for certain that science will not be able to deny the existence of other worldly dimensions at some point in time. Some kind of technology will come along that'll contain the conclusive, indisputable-evidence on the paranormal theories we have now that leave many questions unanswered.

Edited by Ghostsstory, 08 February 2013 - 06:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users