Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UM-X launching soon

Saru

Just in time for the beginning of a new decade our major new site update UM-X ( version 10 ) is very nearly completed and will be going live within the next few days. UM-X is a massive overhaul of the design and coding of our main site that will see the front page, news, columns, videos and encyclopedia sections revamped as well as see the introduction of a new navigation system and a new Google powered search engine to find anything you need anywhere on the site.

The new design is quicker, more efficient and easier to use; a navigation and breadcrumbs bar at the top of the page will give you the means with which to jump from one section to another. The front page news is being spruced up with more prominent top stories and an at-a-glance summary of the latest articles, stories and forum topics. All your favourite content will still be there including a continued commitment to offering up to the minute RSS feeds for our news and articles as well on our Twitter and Facebook.

On top of the immediate changes the update will serve as the foundation of a series of planned updates and new features that aren't possible with the current design, the ageing gallery section will also be seeing an update soon plus there are plans for a few improvements to the forum as well.

Um-X won't quite make it in time for January 1st however it will be going live very soon indeed, i'll be making another announcement the day before the update is due to launch so watch this space.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• behaviour???

• Waspie_Dwarf

• Queen in the North

Sounds awsome Saru, Cant wasit to see the improvements, :tu:

Er... is the new update likely to be slower for me than this version is? :unsure2:

Because while I'm sure it'll be great, that's what happened with the last update. It's either speeded up since or I just don't notice it any more, but this version was significantly slower on my computer than the last one.

*hopes not*

Er... is the new update likely to be slower for me than this version is? :unsure2:

The new upgrade is designed to make the site faster. Details can be found here in Saru's Official UM Blog.

This sounds really great! Many thanks to you and your slaves elves - ok, all the people that help, because I know it takes alot of work to keep this site running efficiently. However, don't worry abt mising the new decade. It doesn't start until the end of 2010 anyways :lol:

sounds cool, looking forward to it.

Sounds good :tu:

Cool. Always great to have upgrades. Is the new update going to make the Search Function more user-friendly? It seems to me that since I was here last, there have been some good updates, but the Search Function only shows the first two lines of a post in your Search List. The old system allowed you to search an entire post, which made it so much easier to find the post you were looking for.

If we could fix that, this'd be great. Cheers :)

~ PA

This update is purely for the main site sections so the forum search won't be changed however I will be turning my attention to developing a few forum improvements once the UM-X update is up and running.

That said the new search engine on the main site will be able to search the forum as well so there will be two options available for finding forum content - the new search will produce quick and clean Google-style results.

What are the most likely updates on the forums taking place?...Will the Site be taken down while the update is going on or will only the Homepage taken down?

Thanks

B???

I don't have any specific details about any upcoming forum changes at the moment.

For the main site update there won't be any downtime, the switchover process will take literally seconds.

For the main site update there won't be any downtime, the switchover process will take literally seconds.

But within those handful of seconds, someone won't be able to log onto U.M. and will hatch up yet another conspiracy that the Illuminati has taken over the staff of Unexplained Mysteries.

I'm waiting for the update for U.M. that has holographic imagery and gives us moderators control over his or hers own personal death laser er.. yes, holographic imagery.

I'm waiting for the update for U.M. that has holographic imagery and gives us moderators control over his or hers own personal death laser er.. yes, holographic imagery.

The holographic imagery and death lasers update will be coming in aound 2017.

Update

If all goes according to plan it looks like the new design will be going live tomorrow.

Update

If all goes according to plan it looks like the new design will be going live tomorrow.

But ... but ... tomorrow, will be today tomorrow, so will there have to be another new update tomorrow, tomorrow? :w00t:

But ... but ... tomorrow, will be today tomorrow, so will there have to be another new update tomorrow, tomorrow? :w00t:

Ah, but as tomorrow is always a day away, the update will always be a day away and will never actually arrive.

As it will never actually arrive Saru can stop working on it, put his feet up and relax. Problem solved.

Tomorrow there will be an update.

Today, there will be an update tomorrow.

The day after tomorrow there will be an update the day before.

:yes:

When will this update take place today?

Thanks

B???

When will this update take place today?

Thanks

B???

:P

Karlis

PS: Sorry -- could not help myself for doing that. Also, this post will help to boost my post totals to reach 50,000-plus in my lifetime. :devil:

:P

Karlis

PS: Sorry -- could not help myself for doing that. Also, this post will help to boost my post totals to reach 50,000-plus in my lifetime. :devil:

According to my time zone the update was to take today

If all goes according to plan it looks like the new design will be going live tomorrow

I have been in Um from the morning and I dont see any particular changes to the homepage which led me to ask...I had no other intentions

Thanks

B???

I can't give you a specific time but it will indeed be today, another thread will be posted for feedback and error reporting once the update goes live.

Closing this thread now, the update will be taking place shortly.