Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

The reality of the UK education system

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#46    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 21 March 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

I think it's just as wrong to blame the parents as it si to blame the teachers.  The problem lies deeper.

As with all social problems, the problem no doubt does lie deeper. But please explain where you think the problem lies.

#47    Rose-Red Howler

Rose-Red Howler

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

• Flower power Girl Power

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

I'm really not sure what you mean. I do remember being scared going to school but that was because of bullies who lingered at the school gates. A big gang of girls and boys used to hang out there smoking with their older biker friends. Bullying wasn't really taken seriosly back then. Now they're having talks about it and doing all they can to stop bullying. I don't think incidents like that are allowed. Bullying towards teachers may be likely in secondary schools, like the city ones. I don't think you can compare spoilt brats and violent kids with spies though.

Posted Image

#48    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,235 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 21 March 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

No, that's not the point.  It isn't the lack of education.  It's that crucifixion is the punishment for trying bto teach anything other than that which is strictly prescribed by the authorities.  For goodness sake, WAKE UP will you!!!

your job is to teach what the state tells you to teach. otherwise we end up with crackpot teachers teaching the pupils their version of whatever that maybe. after reading your latest posts its clear you needed these guidelines in place otherwise you'd be projecting your vision. parents rely on teachers in educating their children for the future, the responsibility is great. there are not many professions which have a greater influence on peoples lives, its said the influence of a teacher lasts a lifetime and its true, everyone can remember their teachers.

as for discipline in schools i think the school as a responsibility especially in the inner city schools, were the only structure in the children's lives comes from the school. in a deprived area were the children mainly come from backgrounds of high unemployment, drug, alcohol abuse, the school is the only place they will receive stability. the school is like an oasis in such areas for children to escape the harsh realities of life which lay beyond the school gates. - its the teachers in these schools who are worth their weight in gold. these teachers know their fighting a loosing battle but day after day they try their best to influence the lives of their pupils. and if one just one child can be educated and able to escape their background then their work is not in vain. - its these teachers who i consider to be the best of the best. and i was lucky enough to be taught by such teachers, one in particular Mrs Pearson, who influenced my life. i wish i could meet her today to just say thank you. she's long since retired, she will most probably be in her late 70's now. - the teachers we can do without are the self pitying ones. of course some go into teaching for the wrong reasons, but instead of leaving they linger on, mainly down to the fact they spent 5+ years training and wont admit they have made a mistake. with their passion diminished they go through the motions and instead of embracing the system they fight it. they are what you call journeymen going from school to school, never staying in one place long enough and no-one wins. the teacher nor the pupil.

Edited by stevewinn, 21 March 2013 - 07:25 PM.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#49    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,442 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:18 AM

View Postpantodragon, on 21 March 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

Just as well we are in a virtual world here and I can’t watch you make a fool of yourself when you can’t in reality live up to your claims.  I had a student working for me once to whom I gave a computer programming project.  It was a tricky bit of programming, but when I showed the student what I wanted, he pooh-poohed and said it would be done inside a week.  At the end of the week, he had got no where and I had to help him out.  Again I tried to warn him that the next stage would be quite tricky and again he pooh-poohed, and again he failed.  This went on for the full 6 weeks and eventually the programming entirely myself.  The interesting thing was, that he was so incredibly confident that he had me thinking that I must be very stupid thinking that there were any difficulties…….in that case, of course, we were in the real world and so the false nature of his confidence was exposed.

I suspect you’re an IWB salesman.  And you know how trustworthy salesmen are!
actually, I'm a classroom teacher who uses IWB everyday.

#50    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 19 March 2013 - 11:51 PM, said:

Yeah, its the teacher fault that the students cannot control themselves. If the teacher had just been a better teacher, with more education, that kid wouldn't have called her a "stupid b*tch" and thrown a chair at her. (one mild example from the UK)

Well no, I didn't mean it this radical. Although i see how it could come across that way. I meant that it has to come from all the ways : parents, students and teachers. And it's obvious teachers are having a hard time to cope with the current student population. Times have changed, there's less sense of hierarchy. Many teachers still think in older concepts and the huge trend of ADHD and all that didn't help much of course.
Teachers need to be taught new ways to handle children. There's no point into thinking about "in the past you could've just hit them" .. those days are over. New ways of thinking have to be taught.

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 19 March 2013 - 11:51 PM, said:

Edit. I do not mean your kid Render. I am sure (if you have kids) you would be an good parent.

Don't worry, didn't take it as such. I can distance my personal life from an internet conversation.

Edited by Render, 22 March 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#51    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 21 March 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

Is it inconceivable that after rejecting physics, as I did at a fairly young age, I then spent the rest of my career in teaching?  Is it also inconceivable that I could have run 2 jobs simultaneously: teaching and life coaching?  And I haven’t yet mentioned the writing (published), photography (published), assorted arts and crafts (sold and published), tutoring, computerising a large business, running bed and breakfast and assorted menial jobs.  And finally, the biggest job that I have done, and one which was self-financed, was, and is, finding the answers to the Big Questions of life, the universe and everything, and then having done so, going on to follow through all the implications and consequences.

Hehe, what's that what they say? Jack of all trades but master of none ..

Oh, all right then, I admit it.  Pantodragon is actually 2 people (panto = pantomime).

Very good panto, the first step is realising your psychological problems.

Silly boy!!!  The one’s who are afraid are the ones who conform, the one’s who won’t rock the boat, and the one’s who are most concerned to put on a show of not being afraid --- I’m looking at your writing quite carefully here…….

And it's obvious you're the fearful one here. You might think you're rocking boats, which makes it extra sad since it only confirms that you're removed from reality. Very far away.
Your fear makes you right essays of threads where you repeat the same thing over and over again and see patterns that aren't there. You might check if you suffer from
apophenia. There are others on this forum with the same problem. The big problem with you is you're so resistant to reality that you get extremely upset when a voice of reason appears and confronts you. Many have confronted your preposterous statements and you just say "you dont get me". Either you're a misunderstood teenager experiencing pms for the first time or you should re-evaluate if you're going through a psychotic episode.

#52    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 21 March 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

I am not and never have been a Policeman,but I have studied human behaviour,which you obviously haven't.

OK, so you studied out of the same book as the police use.

#53    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

View PostTaun, on 21 March 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

Unfortunately, (for some) higher tech is the wave of the future and those that can not/ will not adjust to it, will be left behind... Sort of a cultural "survival of the fittest"... sad but true...

Quote from It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World: These things happen because when these things happen, people like you just say "These things happen" ("....sad but true....") and that's why these things happen!  Anyone who tolerates a culture of survival of the fittest deserves everything they get.

#54    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 21 March 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

As with all social problems, the problem no doubt does lie deeper. But please explain where you think the problem lies.

Read all my posts, but particularly those with Power in the title: How Power Corrupts; The Place of Power in Politics.

#55    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

View PostRogue Suga, on 21 March 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

I'm really not sure what you mean. I do remember being scared going to school but that was because of bullies who lingered at the school gates. A big gang of girls and boys used to hang out there smoking with their older biker friends. Bullying wasn't really taken seriosly back then. Now they're having talks about it and doing all they can to stop bullying. I don't think incidents like that are allowed. Bullying towards teachers may be likely in secondary schools, like the city ones. I don't think you can compare spoilt brats and violent kids with spies though.

Everyone's at it!  Teachers bully children; children bully teachers; employers bully teachers; teachers bully teachers; education authority bullies children........and that's just the bullying.

#56    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 21 March 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

your job is to teach what the state tells you to teach. otherwise we end up with crackpot teachers teaching the pupils their version of whatever that maybe. after reading your latest posts its clear you needed..............................................go into teaching for the wrong reasons, but instead of leaving they linger on, mainly down to the fact they spent 5+ years training and wont admit they have made a mistake. with their passion diminished they go through the motions and instead of embracing the system they fight it. they are what you call journeymen going from school to school, never staying in one place long enough and no-one wins. the teacher nor the pupil.

You've got that wonderful Hollywood view of schools, with those wonderful teachers who perform miracles with children who have had sad lives.  Not real.

#57    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 22 March 2013 - 02:18 AM, said:

actually, I'm a classroom teacher who uses IWB everyday.

Yes, I had a colleague/friend who sounded like you, extolling the merits of the latest technology, and claiming they made life easier and better etc,  When  I persuaded her to curtail her use of advanced technology she was able to come off the heart pills.

#58    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

View PostRender, on 22 March 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

Very good panto, the first step is realising your psychological problems.

Thanks.  You've been a really big help to me here.  Where psychiatrists, psychologists, therapists by the boatload have thrown up their hands in despair, you've gone right to the heart of my/our problems.  Would it be OK if I laid a few more on you, and you could help me out some more?

#59    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,301 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 25 March 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

My work was confronting people who import /sell/ use / abuse illegall drugs,so we had to know the law,and P.A.C.E (Police and Criminal Evidence Act), The bad guys were real mean characters,very scary,which you couldn't frighten, so you had to use a brain cell or two to get a confession, and usually the first thing they did was shout for their "brief", (lawyer), so you had to combat that as well.Using FEAR was not an option.They would rather face Jail than face / give up, their Top Man,because that would mean their instant Death,even in Jail.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#60    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,837 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 25 March 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

you dont need a book, proof that you cant teach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users