Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Neanderthals' large eyes 'caused their demise

seeder

OK well I'd not heard of this theory before... (previous posts mentioned it was down to bunnies, their demise that is!)

"A study of Neanderthal skulls suggests that they became extinct because they had larger eyes than our species".

As a result, more of their brains were devoted to seeing in the long, dark nights in Europe, at the expense of high-level processing.

By contrast, the larger frontal brain regions of Homo sapiens led to the fashioning of warmer clothes and the development larger social networks.

more:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21759233

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

That settles it then: aliens (greys) are morons, lol !

Grey_Alien_by_Harnois75.jpg

• Like 7

But... with those larger eyes they could at least have seen all the bunnies they weren't eatting because they were too busy singing opera...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 8

But... with those larger eyes they could at least have seen all the bunnies they weren't eatting because they were too busy singing opera...

I read an SAS survival book once, (probably watered down for the public), but it mentioned that if you had to survive in the wild, eating rabbit shouldn't be done too much as they lack real nutritional value...

Just googled it up to see if its true, and there's a wiki on it

http://en.wikipedia....bbit_starvation

and

"You can eat 10 rabbits a day and still “starve” as rabbit lacks everything except protein for your body’s survival".

http://survivalcache.com/survival-eating/

Edited by seeder
  • Like 3

I read an SAS survival book once, (probably watered down for the public), but it mentioned that if you had to survive in the wild, eating rabbit shouldn't be done too much as they lack real nutritional value...

and

"You can eat 10 rabbits a day and still “starve” as rabbit lacks everything except protein for your body’s survival".

http://survivalcache...urvival-eating/

That's why you always carry twinkies...

• Like 1

and

http://survivalcache...urvival-eating/

So you still need veggies. Edited by Frank Merton

FGS... there's a new cause of their demise every week! Do scientists not read the tabloids or visit UM?

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 7

Thats because most people aren't willing to eat the brains, liver and marrow. Eat those parts and it will give you a lot more nutrients. The muscle meat itself is very lean though.

• Like 3

Yea liver in particular if chock full of vitamins and not bad if you are starving. Just don't eat too much of it otherwise.

• Like 1

Yea liver in particular if chock full of vitamins and not bad if you are starving. Just don't eat too much of it otherwise.

Mostly depends on the species. Bear liver for example is supposidly toxic to humans. Other types can save you. Its a fine balance.

That's why you always carry twinkies...

Oh crap! Hostess is out of business, now what?

Oh crap! Hostess is out of business, now what?

Should have stocked up when you had the chance... they have a half life of 500 years or so...

My own theory (given before) is that big-brained Neanderthal had the intellect of a typical liberal arts professor and was therefore incapable of doing anything useful. If only they had survived until tenure was invented....

• Like 4

This is geting to be to much.lets see what they write next week

I can see the head line .there noses where to big which caused there lungs to pop lol

• Like 3

Now it seems the Neanderthals may have all been extinct several thousand years before Cro-Magnon even entered Europe. Whoops! There goes into dust a whole bunch of encounter fantasies.

FGS... there's a new cause of their demise every week! Do scientists not read the tabloids or visit UM?

This is what I thought as soon as I read the topic title...

• Like 1

First they culdn't catch fish build boats only eat big animals now their eyes were to big. Scientist stop showing what fools you are. By the why they are part of the family face it.

First they culdn't catch fish build boats only eat big animals now their eyes were to big. Scientist stop showing what fools you are. By the why they are part of the family face it.

boats? what fool you are!

• Like 1

Just what I was thinking, these guys had no chance. If they where with us today they would be given Disabled Parking Permits from birth and have their own Olympics. Talk about having the odds stacked against you, or is it a case of lots of different people with different ideas as to how they disappeared.

I still go with the 'absorbed by the homo-sapien population theory' which is worrying as we may have inherited all these fatal flaws ourselves.

I am just off to buy some Rabbit and visit Specsavers while killing my own and dodging any 'pure' homo-sapiens that are in boats. 'I might be some time...'

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 6

Now it seems the Neanderthals may have all been extinct several thousand years before Cro-Magnon even entered Europe. Whoops! There goes into dust a whole bunch of encounter fantasies.

And that's why it is said they (first) encountered each other in the ancient Middle East.

So you can still have your fantasies,lol.

• Like 2

I can't correlate large eyes with having to use more brain power to see. It seems like it would be the other way around ?

• Like 1

Breaking news...

Neanderthals died out due to their inability to use UM.

• Like 2

Breaking news...

Neanderthals died out due to their inability to use UM.

This one's for you J.C.

Noooooo! It's a...

akbar-mouse-trap.jpg

• Like 1

This one's for you J.C.

Noooooo! It's a...

akbar-mouse-trap.jpg

:w00t: Cheers Sundew, dumb Neanderthal Rebels