Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"The Secret Treasure of Oak Island"

oakster

This is a quote from the Oak Island secrets Treasure

By D'Arcy O'Connor.

The most mystifying clue awaited the workers at the nintie foot level . Here, just before hitting another oak platform , they unearthed a large flat stone on which was engraved a stange inscription that none of them could decipher.

The story or this stone and it eventual fate is one of the many frusturating footnotes to the Oak Island Mystery. More Likely a stone with some sort of markings was found , for it is mention in all the early accounts of the Onslow Company's operations, and was reportedly seen by hundreds of persons before its disappearance in 1919. For many years the stone was used by John Smith as a curiuo piece set into his fire place of his home on Oak Island. there it was examined by many members of later search groups , including A.O Creighton who was partners in the Halifax bookbinding firm of A.H Creighton In 1865, while he was treasurer of an Oak Island search syndicate Creighton brought the stone to Halifax. where it was displayed at his shop to atract prospective investors in the Oak island project.

Keith

http://kr.mendhak.com

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Foxe

• oakster

• Celumnaz

...The story or this stone and it eventual fate is one of the many frusturating footnotes to the Oak Island Mystery. More Likely a stone with some sort of markings was found , for it is mention in all the early accounts of the Onslow Company's operations

Does O'Connor offer any sources regarding these "early accounts" of the Onslow Company's excavations?

The earliest (to my knowledge) known account of any of the Oak Island excavations dates only to 1857, considerably after the Onslow Company had wound up, and the first account of the Onslow Company's excavations comes five years later in 1862. In fact, the two earliest accounts of the original excavations were both written by men who had no first hand experience of the Onslow Company's work and who were unable to agree on crucial details, including the depth at which the inscribed stone was supposedly found.

And who exactly reports that the stone was seen by hundreds of visitors? To the best of my knowlege it disappeared almost as soon as it was "discovered", only to resurface half a century later - conveniently in time for a fundraising drive.

The real trouble with Oak Island is that people try to base theories on "facts" which are simply not facts. Everything we "know" about Oak Island might be true, but there's just no evidence to support such a supposition. It's just as likely that there's a mysterious pit hidden in my back garden.

Are you saying the tablet with the symbols was made up?

they were incorectly read, to promote sales stock. the symbols were viewed by hundreds of people but no one couldnt cipher the stone so a company hired a professor at dal housie university to make sense of the symbols that is where the 40 feet two million pound were burried. came from. until the next centery thats now when came up with the real translation.

Keith

http://kr.mendhak.com

I'm not saying that the stone tablet IS made up, but there is certainly no evidence that I am aware of that:

a: A stone tablet with strange inscriptions was recovered from the Money Pit, or

b: that the stone tablet and inscription now commonly believed to have been the one from the Money Pit was actually the one recovered (if one were found at all).

I would certainly agree with Oakster to the extent that the accepted translation of the inscription is highly dubious. What, for example, was the name of the "expert" who made the translation, and on what did he base it?