Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iceberg collision

Ashley-Star*Child

I just heard about this on the news now, though this isn't the actual article, it's about the same thing. They said (on the news) that they don't know what's going to happen when it hits. I'm taking that as a warning. It showed the NASA video of the iceberg moving.

I posted this here because for me, it has some significance in regard to religion, but for those non-religious people, it's still news.

Iceberg to collide with glacier: NASA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, January 13, 2005 (Washington D.C.):

NASA says a "clash of the titans" is expected to take place over the next few days, as two giant slabs of ice are on a collision course in Antarctica.

A 160 kilometre long iceberg, known as B-15A, is heading towards a huge floating glacier, known as the Drygalski Ice Tongue, in the sea near the US McMurdo Research Station in Antarctica.

US space agency scientists are studying the iceberg's progress by monitoring satellite images of the region.

The B-15A iceberg is 3,000-square-kilometres, roughly the same size as Long Island in New York state, which is 2,216-square-kilometres.

Drygalski Ice Tongue is half the size of the iceberg.

Scientists believe the large iceberg could ram into Drygalski Ice Tongue no later than 15 January.

NASA released an image on Wednesday showing the iceberg cracking in two in 2003.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ashley-Star*Child

• SilverCougar

• Mad Manfred

• Wings of Selkhet

Ahh, forget it, what I wrote on here would probably have been a waste of my breath anyway.

Edited by Ashley-Star*Child

I wasn't going to post this, but what the hell.

All I'm going to say is that I had a dream in 2002 about a tidal wave taking half of the city of Sydney, and taking down a Malaysian Airlines plane, and it was raining. George St and Brighton Beach went, and the water reached homes that were noweher near water-frontage. When I told people about the dream in 2002 they said then that a tidal wave like that would never hit. It just did, but this dream wasn't about S.E. Asia. And, I've said before (and I asked to have it removed and everything else I saw, for my own reasons) that I had a dream about 9/11 5 months before it happened (the dream was somewhere after the 4th of February, in February 2001) and I saw it from a view that was never even recorded, from across the water. Now that dream did actually happen, and I didn't think it would, but I can't say that this dream is anything more than a dream, but in case that it is, I'm stating it here beforehand. I'm just getting a bit wierded out because for the past few nights I've had dreams of going to the beach on the rubble of what was left of Sydney, empty destroyed buildings also in Sydney, and shorelines which keep rising throughout the dream.

No, I didn't have any dream about S.E. Asia, and this tidal wave dream was definantly about Sydney, nowhere else. But the fact that a tsunami did hit S.E. Asia, is also getting me a bit worried. I wasn't kidding when I said Sydney would regret those fireworks.

Edited by Ashley-Star*Child

Dear Child, In 1957 I had a dream of a "mushroom" cloud over Detroit (why Detroit I have no idea, I am from Texas at the other end of the country), I distinctly remember the blast, fire and screams...but woke up to a normal world. Dreams seldom tell the future, they usually are your release from the frustrations of the day. Maybe your anger at the fireworks caused your mind to "get revenge" by creating a dream where Sidney was destroyed....Just a guess, I am not an expert on the subject. no.gif

Dear Child, In 1957 I had a dream of a "mushroom" cloud over Detroit (why Detroit I have no idea, I am from Texas at the other end of the country), I distinctly remember the blast, fire and screams...but woke up to a normal world.  Dreams seldom tell the future, they usually are your release from the frustrations of the day.  Maybe your anger at the fireworks caused your mind to "get revenge" by creating a dream where Sidney was destroyed....Just a guess, I am not an expert on the subject. no.gif

449276[/snapback]

Uh, I had the dream in 2002, and even those that don't believe in anything can have premontion dreams. Not everyone gets them, and not all dreams mean something. On top of that, I didn't say it would happen, just sharing in case it ever did.

I wasn't kidding when I said Sydney would regret those fireworks.

Doesn't your god have anything better to do but to punish a few million people for a "blasphemous" fireworks display? tongue.gif

Seriously, it seems that he spends all his time giving people dreams and visions and punishing people who do meager things like stealing and fornication and conveniently ignores the mass murderers and pedophiles.

I really don't want to read through twelve paragraphs...just give me the gist of it in two or three lines thumbsup.gif

By the way, I think it's virtually impossible for these blocks of ice to cause a tidal wave capable of hitting Sydney.

I forgot to ask...where exactly will the icebergs collide?

449294[/snapback]

Antartica...

That is something that also happens in nature. Just like when huge chucks of glaciers breaking off.

As for dreams.. *shudders* I don't think I'll ever forget the one I had about the bone white trees....

*shrugs* For you...

For me, nature is a force of her own... like Mother Earth...

*shrugs* For you... 

For me, nature is a force of her own... like Mother Earth...

450208[/snapback]

Exactly. I believe it to be the mightiest force on the planet, since it can destroy us all or aid us all at one time, she can destroy our cities for burning her forests, or she can bless us with rain in a drought. If Sydney is to be destroyed, oh, it will be DESTROYED.

God also talks about the Earth as being a 'she'. Did you know that? If Sydney is going to be destroyed GOD is going to be destroying it. What happened with the fireworks, I think could have possibly been a prelude to what would happen.

However, I'm not even saying it WILL for sure happen, but if it DOES, that would no doubt be why.

God probaly does because those who were about before people even started worshiping him referred to the earth as a she. Gaia.

And it's already known that names in the bible were taken from other mythologies and pantheons.. what's one more.

Heck the Native Americans, who develouped outside the influence of what was happening in the middle east referres to the earth as a she. Like a mother to us..

Funny how God cares so much about what one person deems a blasphemous fireworks display when, in all his infinite power and wisdom, he could be curing childhood leukemia or saving someone's grandmother from being hit by a bus. It's only God when it's convenient for you, isn't it, Ashley?

Funny how God cares so much about what one person deems a blasphemous fireworks display when, in all his infinite power and wisdom, he could be curing childhood leukemia or saving someone's grandmother from being hit by a bus. It's only God when it's convenient for you, isn't it, Ashley?

453387[/snapback]

Hmm, no actually it's not. I, for the record, was not the only one who found these fireworks blamsphemous. And, the dream about the tidal wave came in 2002. The diseases are there for a reason. Everything is. Even you.

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- The world's largest iceberg appears to have run aground near Antarctica, posing more problems to scientific bases and penguin colonies, where tens of thousands of chicks face starvation, scientists have said.

Experts had predicted that B15A -- an iceberg 100 miles (160 kilometers) long -- would likely slam into a huge glacier near the U.S. McMurdo Research Station in Antarctica some time last weekend.

But the iceberg appeared to have run aground about three miles (5 kilometers) from the glacier, known as the Drygalski Ice Tongue, Antarctica New Zealand's science strategy manager, Dean Peterson, said Thursday.

"This berg has wedged itself between two shallow areas. ... It really hasn't gotten any closer for a week now," Peterson said. "It's kind of shimmying back and forth now ... so I don't know whether it's ever going to get to the Drygalski or not."

The apparent grounding of the 1,200-square-mile iceberg could present problems to scientific bases on the frozen continent.

B15A has blocked wind and water currents that break up ice floes in McMurdo Sound during the Antarctic summer, causing a build-up of ice behind it. The U.S. McMurdo Station and New Zealand's Scott Base are located on the sound, and Italy's Terra Nova base is nearby.

The iceberg and the ice buildup are in the path of ships due to arrive in Antarctica soon with fuel and food for the three stations. Officials say the bases are not immediately in danger of running out of supplies, and scientists are looking into solutions, including breaking a path through the ice.

The ice blockage also threatens penguin breeding colonies, with tens of thousands of Adele penguin chicks facing starvation as parent birds are forced to trudge up to 110 miles to open sea to gather food.

Peterson said if B15A doesn't break free by itself or with the help of an Antarctic storm, "it's even more likely to block up the sea ice," which is already 16 feet thick in parts.

Scientists had hoped a collision between the iceberg and glacier would cause the iceberg to drift away from the coast and out to sea, clearing the blocked routes.

Any impact between the two ice titans "will be a collision in slow motion," Peterson said.

"It's not going to be a big impact of something fast, but it'll take a long time for that iceberg to slow down once it does get moving," he said, adding that the iceberg would likely move a little more than a mile a day.

Still, Peterson admitted that scientists don't know what forces move icebergs, adding that one this large can create its own weather pattern.

Peterson said there was no timetable for either the collision to take place or for the iceberg to float away.

"These things can linger for 20 years," he said.

Poor baby penguins. sad.gif