Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Zingy

markdohle

Zingy

I wonder if it is true,

that those who believe in God

like I do, are in fact

mentally deranged.

I don't think I am crazy,

zingy,

or an air head,

however,

it is said that crazy people

are the last to know.

Perhaps the same could be said

for those without faith?

Who knows, perhaps we are all

crazy.

(Well the shadow knows, but he is not telling anyone,

he could afterall be crazy as well)

Best to keep a sense of humor in anycase.

I don't think you're mentally deranged for believing in God. I just don't think 'faith' (as I have seen it explained, and with full understanding it is not a one-size-fits-all type of concept) is a very good foundation for ascertaining what is true, and I have a lot of historical evidence that supports that position. I think believers understand how shaky an epistemological foundation 'faith' is, as I find that many Christians for example sound a lot like non-believers when explaining why other religions are not true and why other believers' faith is inaccurate and unsound. We are in full agreement though about keeping a sense of humor above all!

• Like 4

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows, ha ha ha ha!" At least he knew on radio and now on Youtube.

In Buddhism all beliefs are self-created delusions. They are burdens we carry around with us, whether we recognize them as burdens or not they are still burdens. A yoke on our backs that control us. When we discard the yoke and walk away free we're the boss. The boss of ourselves. Only then can we see clearly to choose to walk in any direction we like.

Is it crazy to carry around some external authority determining our path for us? There is no such thing as authority by itself, we create authority by obeying it. It's a fictitious concept that has no reality except its existence as a thought in our minds.

Belief is fundamentally someone's opinion, someone's mental concept of reality, not reality itself. Reality is just what is without us adding "extras" to it. This recognition may seem to make the world mundane and nothing special, but when this is realized, the world and ourselves become vibrantly alive in our mutual ordinariness.

I think our level of craziness depends on our ability to see clearly what is, and to react intelligently to that, and not to imagine it is something else out of our own desires.

• Like 5

I don't think you're mentally deranged for believing in God. I just don't think 'faith' (as I have seen it explained, and with full understanding it is not a one-size-fits-all type of concept) is a very good foundation for ascertaining what is true, and I have a lot of historical evidence that supports that position. I think believers understand how shaky an epistemological foundation 'faith' is, as I find that many Christians for example sound a lot like non-believers when explaining why other religions are not true and why other believers' faith is inaccurate and unsound. We are in full agreement though about keeping a sense of humor above all!

Well said my friend, thank you.

peace

mark

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows, ha ha ha ha!" At least he knew on radio and now on Youtube.

In Buddhism all beliefs are self-created delusions. They are burdens we carry around with us, whether we recognize them as burdens or not they are still burdens. A yoke on our backs that control us. When we discard the yoke and walk away free we're the boss. The boss of ourselves. Only then can we see clearly to choose to walk in any direction we like.

Is it crazy to carry around some external authority determining our path for us? There is no such thing as authority by itself, we create authority by obeying it. It's a fictitious concept that has no reality except its existence as a thought in our minds.

Belief is fundamentally someone's opinion, someone's mental concept of reality, not reality itself. Reality is just what is without us adding "extras" to it. This recognition may seem to make the world mundane and nothing special, but when this is realized, the world and ourselves become vibrantly alive in our mutual ordinariness.

I think our level of craziness depends on our ability to see clearly what is, and to react intelligently to that, and not to imagine it is something else out of our own desires.

Well put. However external authority is impossible to get rid of, though its weight can be lessened a great deal. The times we live in, our family background, what we hear on the telly, read in the papers and mags etc., not to mention commericals etc., have a profound effect on us. I think that walking a particular spritrual path, studying deeply and pondering can led to inner freedom. Not sure we can arrive there, but I believe that to be able to face life without dispair, then that is something great in itself. People are braver than they know, even if that bravery and yes wisdom is at times hidden. It is language that allows us to speak in ways that can bring deeper freedom. About Buddhism; I believe that in the future it will have an ever greater influence on our cultures and religions......whichf I think is good.

peace

mark

Edited by markdohle
  • Like 3

Zingy for believing in God, or zingy for the knowing of God?

Nice, yes to believe is a form of knowing, also experience adds to that.....if that is what you meant.

peace

mark

Head says universe is very big and very cold and dispassionate. Heart wants to think there is something "other" that exists and is friendly towards us. Not mad to believe, unless you believe in Cthulhu and other horrors........

• Like 2

I think it is a small miracle that you are here asking that question now. Think about all this. The vastness of universe. It is a marvel itself.

If God is omnipotent, I think then atheists may be right as well.

I think it is a small miracle that you are here asking that question now. Think about all this. The vastness of universe. It is a marvel itself.

If God is omnipotent, I think then atheists may be right as well.

The marvel of the universe, which has a beginning points to an underlying or overriding intelligence.

peace

mark

This is true in the bible also, the labels are just different and the requests to free ourselves of their yolks somewhat obscured by the so called "battle" between good and evil.

Not meaning to digress but the fact remains, I have very good reasons for respecting buddhism even as a christian and you have pointed out one of those reasons right there.

Yes, it is crazy. The evidences that presented in my life that compel my belief have somehow never presented as an "authority" figure, more like signposts that there is more going on than the material world can explain alone.

That last sentence is perfect.

You are far from mental for believing in God. When we live in a world as twisted as this, full of apathy and hatred, it is hard to keep sight of the truth. When there's only a few sane people amidst the world of the insane, it's easy to think you're the crazy one. Non-believers and hypocrites far out weigh the true believers in life, therefore we are not the norm.

The question comes down to this: what exactly is insane? Anything that isn't normal? Or anything that isn't true? I believe Jesus Christ's message is true. So trust me my friend, just because you are not the norm, does not mean you are insane.

• Like 1

You are far from mental for believing in God. When we live in a world as twisted as this, full of apathy and hatred, it is hard to keep sight of the truth. When there's only a few sane people amidst the world of the insane, it's easy to think you're the crazy one. Non-believers and hypocrites far out weigh the true believers in life, therefore we are not the norm.

The question comes down to this: what exactly is insane? Anything that isn't normal? Or anything that isn't true? I believe Jesus Christ's message is true. So trust me my friend, just because you are not the norm, does not mean you are insane.

I kind needed to hear that, thank you.

peace

mark

I kind needed to hear that, thank you.

peace

mark

That's why Christ commanded us to come together and have fellowship. It can be quite difficult at times to go it alone. Anytime man, and best of luck. ^_^

• Like 1

What someone believes is their own business, and I have no call to judge them. However, when it comes to action in this physical world that deprives people of their lives, physical well-being, or dignity, that's a whole other story.

• Like 1

That's why Christ commanded us to come together and have fellowship. It can be quite difficult at times to go it alone. Anytime man, and best of luck. ^_^

Thanks again.

peace

mark

What someone believes is their own business, and I have no call to judge them. However, when it comes to action in this physical world that deprives people of their lives, physical well-being, or dignity, that's a whole other story.

I agree, we humans have a gift for that I am sorry to say ;-(.

peace

mark

How can you be mental for believing in something that you think is true? Personally, I don't believe in a 'God' and does that make me mental? No.

• Like 1

How can you be mental for believing in something that you think is true? Personally, I don't believe in a 'God' and does that make me mental? No.

Thank you.....you sound very sane to me LOL.

peace

mark