Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Germanic/Norse Religions...

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#31    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,610 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

BTW in Norway only 32% of the population even believe in God. Only 12% attend church monthly...

http://en.wikipedia....anity_in_Norway

You might consider ammending your earlier statement where you claimed, "but they are practised by, highly likely, Christian members of the public."

Your point still stands that those in that video are highly likely not Neopagan. Still, I would rather partake in that custom than pretend we are ancients or wrap myself in Egyptian symbols.

q:

#32    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 18 April 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

....You also seem to be partially right in this instance.....

....Most likely they would use more tact and be less agressive overall as well, try it sometime!....
How pompous and insulting, and this from somebody who sends me insulting PMs. Mister, you are a joker, but you are not funny.

#33    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

• 3,610 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

Second attempt. Notice the clothes...

#34    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

• 3,610 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

I also found an explanation for the above video.

A Blót and thing in Sweden performed by the Forn Sed Asssembly “Samfundet Forn Sed  Sverige”. A bit “chatty” in the beginning as it is also meant as a presentation with explanations.
Otherwise very down to earth.
  • Explanations for newcomers.
  • Calling the weights by song and rattlings of keys.
  • Invoking Forseti, Syn and other mights declaring thing frith..
  • Turning indoors for thing and continued blót with banquette.
  • Toasts, the drinking of minni and bragafull.
  • Continued informal gathering.
A very contemporary expression of Forn Sed in Sweden.

http://westernmyster...riges-tingsblot

beautiful song @ 11:20 mark

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 18 April 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#35    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 18 April 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

BTW in Norway only 32% of the population even believe in God. Only 12% attend church monthly...

http://en.wikipedia....anity_in_Norway

You might consider ammending your earlier statement where you claimed, "but they are practised by, highly likely, Christian members of the public."

Your point still stands that those in that video are highly likely not Neopagan. Still, I would rather partake in that custom than pretend we are ancients or wrap myself in Egyptian symbols.

q:
BS, nothing but BS, and you know it. You have derailed this thread deliberately, shamefull

#36    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

I really cannot be bothered any longer to deal with a..hole trolls like Leave Britney alone
There, the thread derailed because of you a..hole
Go to hell

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri, 18 April 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#37    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,660 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

I dont think any modern human can understand or live a religion from the past, anymore than they can become a person from such an age.

We are a product of the times and millieu we live in. How could a modern person actually sacrifice to the forest, every time they entered the forest, so that the spirits of the forest did not harm him. What modern man would be terrified when entering a forest of the spirits within it? Yes they can still chose to offer a sacrifice but how do they construct an innate and absolute belief that very real, conscious and powerful, spirits dwell in the forest; some  harmful and some helpful.

How could a modern human actually  justify sacrificing a small part of every beer or glass of wine he drank, to the earth to ensure the beer/wine was well made and healthy and that next years harvest would be good.?

. What modern humans actualy believe that everything in the world is as much spiritual as material, and that nothing happens, from birth to death, without the interaction of a real and physical spiritual world lying right along side us

CAn a modern human really accept a belief about the female nature of the moon and the masculine power of the sun? And know absolutely, deep inside them selves, that these are conscious powerful entities which require worship and placating if we are to live comfortably and safely?

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#38    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

I would say we can understand and even admire these beliefs without believing them ourselves.

If we cultivate it, we can develop a sense of a spiritual presence, of otherness, of even the presence of an unseen sentience, all around us.  We can even move our mind outside our physical body, although this takes a lot of practice and may not be worth the effort as such a mind cannot do anything without a physical body to do it.

In fact, one can even sense the presence of God or Holy Spirit or the Tao, depending on your tradition (Buddhists have a harder time with this one).  

Is this sort of thing real or just mental gymnastics?  I tend to think it is rather real at least much of the time, but extremely easy to misinterpret and must be approached humbly, so that we don't go off thinking we are getting special messages from On High.

#39    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,660 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:44 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 20 April 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

I would say we can understand and even admire these beliefs without believing them ourselves.

If we cultivate it, we can develop a sense of a spiritual presence, of otherness, of even the presence of an unseen sentience, all around us.  We can even move our mind outside our physical body, although this takes a lot of practice and may not be worth the effort as such a mind cannot do anything without a physical body to do it.

In fact, one can even sense the presence of God or Holy Spirit or the Tao, depending on your tradition (Buddhists have a harder time with this one).  

Is this sort of thing real or just mental gymnastics?  I tend to think it is rather real at least much of the time, but extremely easy to misinterpret and must be approached humbly, so that we don't go off thinking we are getting special messages from On High.
What is the difference betwen "getting special mesages from on high" and being interconnected withthe cosmic consciousness ie being communication with the consciousness of the universe.
Also a mind can do anything (and sometimes more ) than a physical body can do EXCEPT physically manipulate the physical world

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#40    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:27 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 21 April 2013 - 02:44 AM, said:

What is the difference betwen "getting special mesages from on high" and being interconnected withthe cosmic consciousness ie being communication with the consciousness of the universe.
Also a mind can do anything (and sometimes more ) than a physical body can do EXCEPT physically manipulate the physical world

Well manipulating the physical world is what being a human being is about.

I would say consciousness is not the same as actual conversation/exchange of words/hearing voices.  I would also say that it is extremely easy to fool ourselves on these matters so a good deal of humility is called for.

#41    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,660 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 21 April 2013 - 03:27 AM, said:

Well manipulating the physical world is what being a human being is about.

I would say consciousness is not the same as actual conversation/exchange of words/hearing voices.  I would also say that it is extremely easy to fool ourselves on these matters so a good deal of humility is called for.
Even for a person with my ego and self esteem, humility is the natural response to an encounter with something much more ancient, evolved, wiser and more powerful than my self. :innocent:

On the other hand, the realisation that this consciousness is in part within me and that i am with in it,  negates some of that humilty. It is a natural, symbiotic, relationship; but  one fromm which i suspect i get more than the cosmic conscuousness does. On the other hand  that consciousness is in part made up from individaul consciousnesses like mine and does gain incrementally from my addition to it. It also enjoys the converse and teaching /learning relationship as a mentor. it is hard for a part of something to be humble about the totality of which it is a part. Every part of that consciousness contributes to the whole.

Humans manipulate the environment first by their consciousness (imagination extrapolation planning etc) then using our bodies to shape things. With our present technology we can skip the body manipulation and direct our consciousness to alter the environmant to build and destroy by directly interfacing our consciousness with machines, and not using our physicla bodies at all..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#42    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 20 April 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

I dont think any modern human can understand or live a religion from the past, anymore than they can become a person from such an age.

We are a product of the times and millieu we live in. How could a modern person actually sacrifice to the forest, every time they entered the forest, so that the spirits of the forest did not harm him. What modern man would be terrified when entering a forest of the spirits within it? Yes they can still chose to offer a sacrifice but how do they construct an innate and absolute belief that very real, conscious and powerful, spirits dwell in the forest; some  harmful and some helpful.

How could a modern human actually  justify sacrificing a small part of every beer or glass of wine he drank, to the earth to ensure the beer/wine was well made and healthy and that next years harvest would be good.?

. What modern humans actualy believe that everything in the world is as much spiritual as material, and that nothing happens, from birth to death, without the interaction of a real and physical spiritual world lying right along side us

CAn a modern human really accept a belief about the female nature of the moon and the masculine power of the sun? And know absolutely, deep inside them selves, that these are conscious powerful entities which require worship and placating if we are to live comfortably and safely?

There are many types of Pagan believe and worship. You read some account, or see some youtube video of people engaging in some religious practice in a forest, and may think this is someting done on a regualr basis, or that before stepping into forest or drinking, eating etc, some ritual must take place to, appease the gods?. All this is not so. People who are practising Christian will go to church at least once a week, will say grace before a meal. This not any diffrent to any Pagan practise?. Besides, it is mostly the case that Pagans, at least were I am, will only go into forest for some ceremony on a few days a year, particulary for Maslenitsa, an end of Winter festival that has been mingled with start of Spring, Christian Easter. Or for Ivan Kupala, the summer solstice that has been taken over by Christianity. Ivan Kupala equates to John the Babtist, though the fire ceremonies go back millenia in Slavic lands. Certainly people do not have these ceremonies every week, or even every month, unlike "modern" religions that seem to have an almost compulsive obssesive attraction to all manner of practices even more fanciful than any Pagan. There is no fear of "monsters" in the dark forest, or anywhere else.

May I presume you also not approve of Christian communion, saying of grace, or of men dressed in variations of late Roman Empire court dress doing some sort of magic ceremony :)

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri, 21 April 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#43    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

This is a "Veles Circle" at a Maslenitsa ceremony at Tula in 2005. Simply posted as an example, and it also has captions for a translation, dreadful, but better than nothing. And probably too boring, and Russian, for any to bother looking at :)

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri, 21 April 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#44    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

I add this video too show that I am making a comparison. Very many are Christians, and many Christians are Orthodox, Catholics or Anglicans that have these arcane ceremonies and forms of dress and the "magic" tricks of turning water into blood and bread into flesh. Yet Pagans are laughed at if they try to resurect the old religions. "Oh what funny clothes they wear, Oh now ridiculous they are" is the cry. So, what is ridiculous when comparing the video in my post above to this one?
And please notice the two fans bearers to either side of the Pope, just like a pagan pharoah, same style of fans as well. Looks to me like a religion wrapping itself with pagan Egyptian symbols....

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri, 21 April 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#45    Jesus Loves Us

Jesus Loves Us

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 143 posts

• 6' 2", Amazon queen.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

Roman Catholic is pagan disguised as Christian.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users