Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

NASA Beams Mona Lisa to Moon with Laser

mona lisa nasa laser

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,615 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

Call it the ultimate in high art: Using a well-timed laser, NASA scientists have beamed a picture of Leonardo da Vinci's masterpiece, the Mona Lisa, to a powerful spacecraft orbiting the moon, marking a first in laser communication.

http://www.space.com...aser-photo.html

Posted Image

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,878 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

I don't care if this if the biggest waste of moeny and time, it's till awesome.

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,353 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

Not a waste from their standpoint I guess.  They seem to be constantly chipping away at the issues holding us back from deeper space exploration.  But I agree - it IS awesome!  :)

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#4    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

User a laser to sent information to space explorers at light speed is not a waste of money.

#5    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Martians need art too .

Miss me?

#6    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

It is very fascinating. All the money we spend on fancy high tech computers and mobiles will be replaced in years to come with the new laser types.  With this in mind, i think computer and mobile phone companies should severely reduce their prices now, seeing that we will have to replace it all when these companies tell us that they are worthless because the laser technology has now taken over.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#7    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,464 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Nope not a waste of money at all. It will have many useful applications.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#8    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

I do not think it is a waste of money either, because it will no doubt lead to better technology. What will be a waste of money if the prices do not go down, is the technology we are buying today.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#9    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,781 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

View Postwolfknight, on 18 January 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

User a laser to sent information to space explorers at light speed is not a waste of money.
That it is at light speed is not the point, radio waves also travel at light speed, the point is that lasers are able to carry more information than radio waves.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#10    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• 1,238 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 18 January 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

That it is at light speed is not the point, radio waves also travel at light speed, the point is that lasers are able to carry more information than radio waves.

Thank you! I was wondering why they did it, didn't made any sense until i red your post!

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#11    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,600 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 18 January 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

The data was scrambled and full of errors and very slow delivery so it doesn't seem at all practical to do this through the atmosphere but I think it would be invaluable for data transfer between two space-borne platforms.  Massive amounts of data could be transferred error free without the interfering atmosphere to impede the beam.  I think that in the not to distant future light will be used throughout most electronics including microprocessors.

Edited by Merc14, 19 January 2013 - 03:49 PM.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#12    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

I thought NASA was going to project the Mona Lisa on to the moon... :D  I was feeling so excited about it, I wanted to watch NASA do that from the beach with a glass of wine...but, yeah...this is good too.  Would have been cool to see a slide show projected on to the moon but it's fine.  Yup, this is cool too.

Edited by Lava_Lady, 19 January 2013 - 06:16 PM.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#13    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

that's pretty cool not sure what any good it will bring though.considering its "NASA" anyway what happens to the painting was that the real picture or just a copy?cause if its the real thing wow that's a waste!!!

#14    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

View PostKing Cobra 1408, on 19 January 2013 - 06:18 PM, said:

that's pretty cool not sure what any good it will bring though.considering its "NASA" anyway what happens to the painting was that the real picture or just a copy?cause if its the real thing wow that's a waste!!!

The real Mona Lisa is on permanent display at the Musee du Louvre, I do not believe even NASA can get it off the French that easily.

#15    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

They should beam a troll face up their next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users