Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Texas Oil Tycoon Plans Largest Wind Farm

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    Reincarnated

Reincarnated

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 07:41 AM

Texas Oil Tycoon Plans Largest Wind Farm
The Associated Press
10:07 a.m. PT June 20, 2007

2,000 turbines over 200,000 acres at cost that could reach $6 billion

linked-image

LUBBOCK, Texas -
Billionaire T. Boone Pickens is planning to cash in on the wind energy boom by building the world's largest wind farm in West Texas.

The oil tycoon wants to install large wind turbines in parts of four Panhandle counties in a project that would produce up to 4,000 megawatts of electricity.

If Pickens' company, Mesa Power LP, does build the wind farm it would be the largest in the world, American Wind Energy Association spokeswoman Susan Williams Sloan said. It would generate more than five times the 735 megawatts produced at the present largest wind farm near Abilene.

One megawatt is enough to power 250 homes in Texas, Sloan said.

Not all planned wind projects in Texas become reality, though. Earlier this month, a developer who planned to build what would have been the nation's largest offshore wind farm in South Texas called off the project because it didn't make economic sense.
I hope he pulls through with this. original.gif

#2    Primeval

Primeval

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

• "In Tyler I trust."

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:02 AM

Poor birds.

Posted Image
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
My DeviantART

#3    Guardsman Bass

Guardsman Bass

Poltergeist

• 2,222 posts

• Don't spam me, but feel free to drop a line.

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:13 AM

He'd probably be smarter to buy a Canadian CANDU nuclear reactor, which operates generally at around 80% of the capacity for the older models, and 88% for the newer models (though if you buy one of the older models, you might also be able to afford a $3.4 billion 'breeder' reactor to recycle your spent uranium back into plutonium for reactor use).

Yes, I know about NIMBY, but it would still be a smarter to decision to build the CANDU (which would provide a nice, steady base of power), rather than building a vast field of wind turbines, most of which will not be operating at any one time (what's the average operating percentage of capacity for wind turbine fields - 30%?). Note how he says "up to 4,000 Megawatts". I presume he's referring to if the whole field came completely on-line at one time, which is unlikely.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." -Sir Charles Napier

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."   D.H. Lawrence

#4    Primeval

Primeval

Psychic Spy

• 1,803 posts

• "In Tyler I trust."

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:26 PM

He'd probably be smarter to buy a Canadian CANDU nuclear reactor, which operates generally at around 80% of the capacity for the older models, and 88% for the newer models (though if you buy one of the older models, you might also be able to afford a $3.4 billion 'breeder' reactor to recycle your spent uranium back into plutonium for reactor use).

Yes, I know about NIMBY, but it would still be a smarter to decision to build the CANDU (which would provide a nice, steady base of power), rather than building a vast field of wind turbines, most of which will not be operating at any one time (what's the average operating percentage of capacity for wind turbine fields - 30%?). Note how he says "up to 4,000 Megawatts". I presume he's referring to if the whole field came completely on-line at one time, which is unlikely.

We all know how nuclear reactors end up.

Posted Image
My DeviantART

#5    Legatus Legionis

Legatus Legionis

Bellcross

• 3,177 posts

• Everything that the human race has done and thought is concerned with the satisfaction of deeply felt needs and the assuagement of pain

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:22 PM

if the they follow all the safety-precautions it wouldn't end up like chernobyl and other nuclear reactor blow-ups. ignorance and stupidy killed the man.

#6    Primeval

Primeval

Psychic Spy

• 1,803 posts

• "In Tyler I trust."

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:39 PM

if the they follow all the safety-precautions it wouldn't end up like chernobyl and other nuclear reactor blow-ups. ignorance and stupidy killed the man.

Man killed the Man.

Posted Image
My DeviantART

#7    magnetar

magnetar

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:12 AM

He'd probably be smarter to buy a Canadian CANDU nuclear reactor, which operates generally at around 80% of the capacity for the older models, and... a $3.4 billion 'breeder' reactor...

it would be smarter than building a vast field of wind turbines... "up to 4,000 Megawatts".

He'll be a hundred miles from PANTEX. He could recycle some MOX. And, with his connections- maybe a big discount.

However, trying to go nuclear might be one of those dry holes he worries about. The area has the lone Canadian River (currently tapped down to 1.4 ft. gauge height), which fills Lake Meredith (which is a National Reserve and also serves water to lots of folks nearby). The lake is down 50% because of drought, and usually is.

He might construct a cooling reservoir somewhere up stream from the lake, but I have a feeling the jack rabbits would drink it faster than it would fill.

Actually, there is a lot of natural gas in the hills and canyons of the Texas Panhandle (or there used to be). They also raise a lot of cattle (too many hills for farming). They have spare water capacity in their Ogallala Aquifer as a result, which is why T. Boone also paid for water rights, to eventually re-sell down state.

It put some retirement money in the bank for some of those folks. But, he was late to the game. A few of the cities wanting that water basically beat him to it, and bought their own.

In the mean time, or last I heard, he was going to build an additional  concrete water supply line between Dallas and Lake Texoma (to the north). I think that is a $220 million dollar project. It's all part of his new business- water and wind - "clear gold".    

found this-

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/16/...in1901680.shtml  

BTW- interesting OP.

Edited by magnetar, 25 June 2007 - 12:36 PM.

#8    Guardsman Bass

Guardsman Bass

Poltergeist

• 2,222 posts

• Don't spam me, but feel free to drop a line.

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:31 PM

You mean, successfully providing power to their communities in the vast, vast majority of cases? Keep in mind that aside from Chernobyl (which was a half-assed Soviet Design not only running without the proper safety precautions, but designed so poorly that if the active safety systems broke down, the reactor's tendency would be to go more critical (i.e., producing more neutrons), rather than shutting down like the CANDU system), literally no one is on the record of dying from a nuclear power plant. Even Three Mile Island didn't kill anyone, and unlike the side-effects produced by Chernobyl, the side-effects of Three Mile Island were not only pitiful, but they didn't have any harmful effects on the local populace.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." -Sir Charles Napier

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."   D.H. Lawrence

#9    greggK

greggK

Poltergeist

• 2,756 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:49 PM

What we need to do is enlist the leader of Iran, Akminejab, to come build us some nuclear reactors!  And to hades and beyond for what Bush thinks!

It is me!

#10    leadbelly

leadbelly

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:00 AM

Jessica Kerns thought her survey of new power-generating wind turbines on a mountaintop in West Virginia would yield the standard result:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2004Dec31.html

#11    greggK

greggK

Poltergeist

• 2,756 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:28 AM

Jessica Kerns thought her survey of new power-generating wind turbines on a mountaintop in West Virginia would yield the standard result:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2004Dec31.html

Well, that is not an easily fixable thing.  But ask yourself 'How do bats negotiate in their environment?'  An example is, when I was a security officer at a hospital, I noticed thousands of bats flying up under the roof next to the birthing center of the hospital at around 4:30 every morning to stay for the day.  Why were they doing that?  Bats are very dirty filthy creatures that can cause a lot of problems in places like the roof of a hospital and if they accidentally found a hole into the actual hospital, that would be a disaster.  Now, why were they doing that?  The electronic equipment.  Like a magnet, the electronic equipment that was against the wall in that area of the hospital attracted every one of those bats.  Bats are blind, of course and they react with their environment by radar.  Just as you react to your environment by an electrochemical processes in your brain and throughout your body, the bats have the same exact thing; but they are as a blind person and their processes are much more refined because they do not have big bodies.  If you were a blind person flying through the air and you were relying on your 'sixth sense' to negotiate and there were turbines around you, you would be fooled too into flying right into them.

It is me!

#12    Bella-Angelique

Bella-Angelique

Caprica Six Cylon

• 7,174 posts

• There is more to learn

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:33 AM

As slow as they are being in putting up wind machines, maybe wildlife will have plenty of time to learn and adapt as far as in avoiding the areas. It seems this is going to be the future though. Man can no longer really exist without a large clean energy supply.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users