Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ochil Hills Hospital

Mickey

Now I have tried to look everywhere for information on this but haven't found nothing at all. Ochil Hills Hospital is just outside Milnathort, which is in Fife/Perthshire in Scotland, UK!!!! It is a massive huge old building from the 1600's it looks very old, and feels very eery when your there. It's a 5 minute drive out town through farm roads, until you enter deep woods which has a badly injured road full of pot holes and cracks for about a further 4/5 minutes. You then come to a gate which is closed and locked so you can't take your car up. Me, my 3 friends and one of their girlfriends went up so there were 5 of us in total. We had to walk up this semi step hill for about another 5 minutes then we saw the it round the corner. I didn't like the feeling I got when I was there at all. It was dark but you could still see everything perfectly. Me & my 2 friends had 1 torch. My other friend and his girl had 1 torch.

U know how you get something that catches your eye. I kept getting that everytime I looked up at all the broken windows and below was entrances you can get into no problem but it was pitch black, so this time we all went in. I didnt want to so I ended up being at the back since I didnt want to wait outside myself. While we were going through I kept getting a shivery feeling and as if seomone else was walking at the back of me even though there wasnt. It was really weird. We saw old fireplaces and everything but we left after a few minutes. I still couldn't get over the size of the place it was massive and basically in the middle of nowhere. There were little huts further up the hill (ovbioulsy a part of the hospital) and we walked up and in one of them a wall was covered in tiny chinese writing, and I mean covered. there was barely any room at all to even wrtie your name with a marker (not that I do that) but you get the point.

We walked round the side of the massive structure itself away from the huts and saw what we thought was the place where they put bodies or something. We saw a big chimney that was quite thin and probably about 50 feet tall. But as we walked past it, we could smell burning, like really strong and by this time I wanted to go. I didnt think that ME, that I could experience something like this. I watch all this on TV and believe in it but I never expect it to happen. So we walked round the other side and by this time everything seemed normal, but my friend said that that's where they would have burned bodies ?? I don't know though, he also said that the nurses supposadly locked all the patients in the rooms and left them for dead, but first I didnt believe it but then looked up and down at the place, looking at all the windows and everything. What's weird though is when I looked at the windows, you could see hospital beds headrests half hanging out the windows as if they had been broken from the Inside (even though it's basically impossible to get up to the upper levels, as there are no stairs or nothing else we could find. There were some hospital beds lying around outside on the ground etc. but when I looked at the top to what was possibly the attic, I saw two window frames (as the glass was broken) pushed up. This could have only been done from somebody inside, so I started to belive it. By this time my friends girlfriend had noticed a small metalic tray, which was smoking. U know the trays you get take-away foods in? It was like that but upside down with a few small circles holes on it which the smoke was coming out. We were still standing in the same place at that point (round the back of the chimney thing) so we were deciding who should kick it!!! I didnt want to but it got kicked by my friend, and when he kicked it over, what was in it was Ashes!!!!

By that point I didnt even wait around for everyone to agree to leave, I just left without question. So did every1. It was like it was a message or something??

I know it sounds ***** up and fake but honestly, all that happend plus more (which would take ages to write) What's your thoughts? cause I've never actually had anything like this happen before or seen a board of this type before!!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• monkeyonamoped

• AlloaPosse

• mhenson

• piana

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That sounds like a fascinating experience, and a very scary place

to be walking around at night. I know that feeling you mentioned

having when you felt like someone was behind you! And that must be

a hard decision to make when you go to a place like that ~ if you go

with, you might see something scary, but if you wait outside.....alone?

I think I'd have to take my chances with the others. wink2.gif

btw, welcome to the board! wavey.gif

Welcome aboard Mickey original.gif

If it was me I would find someone to go back with you and do some exploring. Take a couple of cameras and and something to record any sound. If you can get hold of a video camera as well that's even better. Would be very interested to hear more and see any photos or footage you might get thumbsup.gif

Wow!,

do tell more!! Dang, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the rest of the story. Too bad you couldn't record some of your next trip and upload it here.....

• 3 weeks later...

hey there ive been looking for info about this place for about 2 year n finally i have found some! have u guys been to ochil hills? i went almost 2 years ago now with a friend, her brother and his gf and at that time you could drive right up to the door of the building. we went inside and it was pitch black and we only had one torch. we went upstairs and into the room and tried to go down to the basement but the stairs were to unsteady. i wonder what happened up at ochil hills because it really does look like who ever was there left in a hurry because all the furniture was still in the place although most of it had been broken by vandals. the rumour at the time was that it was an old mental hospital where they actually gave people electric shock treatment...dunno if thats true! but i did ask my gran who lived in the area for almost 50 years and ahe said she thinks it was maybe a hospital fro people with tb to keep them away from others so people in surrounding villages wouldnt get infected but she was unsure. my great gran also worked in a mental hospital in the area in around 1921. does any1 know anything about this place??????????????

right just did some research and found out that my gran was right ochil hills was used to house people with tb in the 1950s but before this it was known as ochil hills sanatorium for thos ewith mental health problems. will add more as i find more out!

• 2 weeks later...

20th September me and my friends about 10 of us went up to the hospital, the gate at the front of the road was open but shut when we went back home. After going up I read your post and may not have went up in the first place if I had came accross if before. Anyway we could not get round the front at all because the land was 2 bad we tryed 2 go int he side door but the floor had caved in just after the front reception, we then went round the side and managed to get in a room that looked like a kitchen, it was very scary and we did not go in any further as it did not look safe at all. Then we went round towards the chimney and found a buliding that had alot of electrics that did not look that old or mybe they were just built to last. Everyone felt very spooked by now and there was a defanate eirey feeling. We did not dare look around anymore and decided to head home. We would go back up as we are more intrested than ever to find out the truth about this place.....

Great story!!! My hands are glued to the chair has i write this post! Ill try to do some background research bout that place and ill tell if i find something.

Oh, and the large chimney, it is common (in old hospitals) to have a separate, large chamber, an incenerator for the medical suplies who do not get used, boxes, medicine packages, ect. I dont think they would have a large chimney like that for the cremation process, looks like gestapo stuff.

I found something, not much.

There is a hospital in Ochil Hills, Milnathort, who closed in 1987, but dont really know if it the same. I found this info here:

Click here

This hospital was probably a sanatorium, i found reference to this in a fight agains tb site:

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/mc...tyre/chap19.htm

Finaly the hospital was already opened in 1905, i found car licences registered in the name of the Ochil hills sanatorium, from 1905 to 1917:

http://www.fdca.org.uk/Kinross_Licences.htm

Oh my god that place is so scary im still getting nightmares. Ive been up a couple of times and it never changes its always creepy.

A big group of us went up last saturday night with torches but still no one went right in the building just took a couple of steps. Everything is still that way it must have been years ago like nothing has been moved.

I hear that people were electracuted then burnt where the massive chimney was. Scary stuff likes!

Oh and it used to be a mental hospital which then turned into a hospital for treating TB so i dont think that many people left the place alive!!!!!

So if anyone has more stories then please email me!

Ochil Hills Hospital is truly a freaky place, me and my dawgs hope to reach the upper levels soon. It really is like something out of a movie, the town at the bottom of the hill (Milnathort). The long winding dirt track uphill full of potholes, the trees surrounding all around you then after about ten minutes driving you will see the silhouette of the hospital appearing unexpectedly, then your sitting with your headlights shinning on the hospital. Its amazing how such a huge building is stuck on the side of a hillrange in the middle of nowhere. If your thinking of going up there....go, its well worth it, but take at least four people with you, a torch for each person and a baseball bat. My mates have found squatters sheltering in the wards before and didnt take too kindly to them being there. Great night out tho, does anyone else know of somewhere else similar?

Ochil Hills Hospital is truly a freaky place, me and my dawgs hope to reach the upper levels soon.  It really is like something out of a movie, the town at the bottom of the hill (Milnathort).  The long winding dirt track uphill full of potholes, the trees surrounding all around you then after about ten minutes driving you will see the silhouette of the hospital appearing unexpectedly, then your sitting with your headlights shinning on the hospital.  Its amazing how such a huge building is stuck on the side of a hillrange in the middle of nowhere.  If your thinking of going up there....go, its well worth it, but take at least four people with you, a torch for each person and a baseball bat.  My mates have found squatters sheltering in the wards before and didnt take too kindly to them being there.  Great night out tho,  does anyone else know of somewhere else similar?

My mates have found squatters sheltering in the wards before and didnt take too kindly to them being there.

Hey thats funny mikey276 original.gif

You didnt take too kindly to them being there? Hey they can stay there as long as they like as far as i am concerned. Its not exactly butlins and it does remind me of one of those typical horror movies where they all go into the building and you just know its not a good idea. Wasnt it always the one at the back that disappeared first? grin2.gif I wonder if its a listed building? the smoking ash if true is just a little freaky guys, lets just hope its a heavy smoker that caused it. I dont think going up the levels especially at night is a good idea simply because its probably rather dangerous from a health and safety perspective.

Just want to ask the people who went in what way did you go in? the side door that we tryed 2 go in had no floor after the marble entrance. Did you go in through the door that is near the chimney or another entrance furhter round? madd shitt its so weerd!

Made it too the top of the building up an old set of marble stairs looked around for the hut but could not see it. The basement got the better of us tho and we never made it along just went down the stairs and had a look but never went along. Loads and loads of wires and fuel tanks and two big chambers that were shut on the top, we found an old phone that looked about 50's or 60's loads of spray paint everywhere one of the many quotes "I Dare You, Shitebags" pretty silly. Anyway I have head since that it is a hangout for some people and the police are called up regularly to move them on. Fun while it lasted I suppose.

post-56-1064573264.ibf

You know, I'm fairly new to these boards, but I work in a hospital and had to check out this thread. Far be it from me to dispel the myths, but from the pics that DarkStar posted, the place just looked to me like a modern hospital that people abandoned in a hurry.

Pic 14/15 are modern lighting equipment circa 1970s

Pic 16 looks like the entrance to an operating suite complete with the "Do not enter without authorization" sign that hangs on the entrance to our operating room.

Pic 19 looks like a fairly modern waiting room

and Pic 23 looks like the elevator at a hospital which I used to work at.

Some of those pictures of broken doors and tiled walls are reminiscent of some of the operating room suites that I've been in that were built during the sixties (note the hideous color).

Here in the states, we have a few hospitals that shut down during the eighties, when the healthcare system was having trouble staying afloat. Some of those shut down in one day...the staff came in that morning, was told to ready their patients to be transferred to another facility and then go home. Most of those hospitals were operating in the red for quite sometime and one day the money just ran dry and they shut their doors that day.

In fact, we have one of those near where I live and most of the furniture, accesories, equipment and other stuff that couldn't be utilized by other facilities has just remained in place. Other than what vandals have damaged, that is. I have to say the scariest thing about those pics was what people had spray-painted on the walls and what had been damaged.

That's not to say that this Ochil Hills wasn't a mental institution or a TB sanitarium at one time or that abandoned hospitals aren't scary as hell, but it looked to me that this place was used as a regular hospital until it was abandoned.

Also, a note about the chimney: Most older institutions have incinerators like the one you all talk about. They were used to incinerate laundry that was soiled beyond use, used medical supplies, old specimens, and other hazardous waste. Since the age of AIDS, the government here has put high standards on the handling of biohazardous materials and so most of that stuff now is either totally disposable and sent to large plants that handle biohazardous waste, or, if not disposable, sent outside the hospital to be laundered and/or resterilized.

I might also add that the hospital I worked at previously had a ghost on the second floor (operating rooms and sterile supply). The hospital was built during the early 60s, and during the 1970s, a nurse working the graveyard shift hung herself from one of the lights in the surgical suite. There were some older ladies that worked in supply when I worked there and they would refuse to work after hours if they were alone. Doors would open and shut, lights came on and footsteps could be heard in the back hall. THAT was a creepy place and it was and is still a fully functioning hospital.

Anyway, I guess that's more information that you all needed, but I thought I would share...sorry I rambled on more than I thought

crying.gif

ohmy.gif

when i wen t upto ochil hills we went in the front entrance where there is a marble floor as i remember. we walked along the hall and in some of the room and we had to jump over the holes int he floor boards we only had obe torch between 4 of us and it was quite scary, we went up the stairs on to the second level where there was another long corridor and a lot more rooms.then we found an old staircase with a banister.the floor of is staircase was tiled and looked really old. the other 2 girls stood insid ethe doorway to the stairs and the guy and myself stood outside. i was standing on top of an old matress when i felt it slipping from below my feet like it was sinking and the guy had to grab me. there was a huge hole underneath the mattress and if he hadnt grabbed me i would have fallen right through the floor.

its ounds bad but we signed our names on a black metal door or something where loads of people had done the same..i think this was on the second floor. we wrote...niki, saz, caz n bobla so if u happen 2 see them thats my lot lol. thumbsup.gif when we came out the bulding we walked around the back and saw the large chimney and there was something taht looked like an incenarator and the guy said that they wouldhave had used taht to burn the bodies after the people had died.

ochil hills was definaltley a sannatorium as i also found car licence registratyion things on the net from around 1905-1917 that were registered to the building.

this polace is very creepy an dvery eeire and really intrigues me!

its been 2 years since i went up but i really wanna go again to see if its changed any!

if any1 wants 2 email me bout ochil hills please do on monkeyonamoped@hotmail.com with subject as ochil hills!!!

Sarah xxx

ps. does ne1 have any photos????

i would love to see some photos of that place, this place is in the uk?

i gotta take a trip over there sometime in the future

yea the building is in some hills near a place called milnathort in scotland! very creepy get urself over here 4 a look!!!! thumbsup.gif

Ive heard rumours that the site is to be knocked down for houses to be built. Wouldnt fancy buying a house there! ohmy.gif If you've not been up there yet hurry! Get yourselves a scooby doo adventure!

man they cant knock it down!!! IM STILL INTRIGUED I WANNA GO BACK UP!!! does any1 iknow if the building i slisted or anything??? dontgetit.gif

we have pictures. I will try my best to get them uploaded int he next few days they were takin with a phone camera so are no too sharp but they show some detail ans an idea of what its like. I think i remember seeing those names ont he wall att he top of the stairs if they were in yellow spray. You should head back up am sure we could find plenty of peeps too go up again.

hi! nah the writing we did was scraped into a black gate wi a key. i think it might have been a lift door or something! if u like u can email me pictures at

monkeyonamoped@hotmail.com

sarah xxx

I WAS UP AT ORCHILLS HOSPITAL JUST LAST NIGHT. THE GATES ARE ALWAYS OPEN NOW. I HAVE BEEN UP BEFORE BUT FOR SOME REASON LAST NIGHT WAS FREAKY! MY FRIENDS HAVE ALL WENT IN BUT I HAVENT.

IF YOU HAVE EVER BEEN IT JUST APPEARS FROM NO WHERE WHEN YOU TURN THE CORNER AND WHEN CAR LIGHTS ARE SHONE ON IT IT LIGHTS UP THE WHOLE BUILDING AND MAKES IT LOOK LIKE THERE ARE LIGHTS ON IN THE BUILDING. THERE IS ONE PARTICULAR WINDOW THAT DRAWS MY ATTENTION. I AM NOT THE ONLT PERSON WHO HAS SEEN IT BUT THERE IS A SHADOW AT THE WINDOW, I AM NOT SURE IF IT IS THE TRICK OF THE CAR LIGHTS BUT IT IS VERY LIKE A PERSON WALKING BACK AND FORWARD INFRONT OF THE WINDOW. IT WASNT UNTIL I SAT DOWN WITH MY FRIENDS THAT I REALISED THAT 4 OF US SAW IT BUT DIDNT WANT TO SAY. HAS ANY1 ELSE SAW IT? IALWAYS WORRY THAT WHEN WE DRIVE BACK DOWN THAT THE GATE WILL BE CLOSED AND THE ROAD ON THE WAY UP IS SCARY TOO WHERE THERE ARE NO LIGHTS AND IT LIKE AND OLD DIRT TRACK. I AM DEFINETELY GOING TO FORCE MYSELF TO GO IN.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY IT GOT CLOSED? AND WHY THEY HAVE LEFT OLD EVERYTHING IN IT? DOES NO ONE FIND IT STRANGE THAT WHEN THEY HAVE SHUT A PLACE DOWN THAT THEY HAVENT TOOK ALL THE THINGS OUT OF IT AND THEY HAVENT SHUT THE PLACE OFF OR DEMOLISHED IT?