Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

English Civil War Ghost Stories

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#46    Agent_21

Agent_21

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

• Baby says: Vote for Biccy Boy!!! UM2004
    BABY LIKES MILK AND COOKIES!
    Yo J! ;)

Posted 24 November 2003 - 11:58 PM

At the time of the Civil Wars, Nathaniel Stephens was Parliamentary member for Gloucestershire. He resided at Chavenage Manor. He was a moderate but since he was related to Cromwell the latter pressed him strongly to vote for the arrest and punishment of Charles I. He eventually gave in.

Nathaniel's daughter Abigail was horrified by her father's capitulaton and predicted a curse on the family. Strangely enough Nathaniel contracted a prolonged illness which eventually proved fatal. As he lay dying a spectral coach drew up outside the Manor. It was driven by a headless coachman who was dressed in Royal array and sported a Star of the Garter. The coach door swung open and then was seen the ghost of the now dead MP emerging from the house in a shroud. The figure entered the coach which then shot off down the drive. At the Manor gates it crashed in a ball of fire.

It is said that each Lord of the Manor who dies in the house leaves it in the same way!

#47    Agent_21

Agent_21

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

• Baby says: Vote for Biccy Boy!!! UM2004
    BABY LIKES MILK AND COOKIES!
    Yo J! ;)

Posted 25 November 2003 - 12:12 AM

The Reindeer Inn, Banbury is haunted by a cavalier thought to be connected with Cromwell's visit to the town in 1644. Cromwell supposedly stayed at the inn and the man whose ghost appears was tried at a court held there. Whether on not this is true, the cavalier has been seen in various parts of the building.

#48    Cufflink

Cufflink

Poltergeist

• 2,234 posts

• For you, Baby, I could be

Posted 25 November 2003 - 05:03 AM

QUOTE (Agent_21 @ Nov 24 2003, 11:58 PM)
Nathaniel's daughter Abigail was horrified by her father's capitulaton and predicted a curse on the family. Strangely enough Nathaniel contracted a prolonged illness which eventually proved fatal. As he lay dying a spectral coach drew up outside the Manor. It was driven by a headless coachman who was dressed in Royal array and sported a Star of the Garter. The coach door swung open and then was seen the ghost of the now dead MP emerging from the house in a shroud. The figure entered the coach which then shot off down the drive. At the Manor gates it crashed in a ball of fire.

It is said that each Lord of the Manor who dies in the house leaves it in the same way!

Whether it's true or not, I bet the estate agents would never mention that if it was up for sale. grin2.gif

The Reindeer Inn, Banbury is haunted by a cavalier thought to be connected with Cromwell's visit to the town in 1644. Cromwell supposedly stayed at the inn and the man whose ghost appears was tried at a court held there. Whether on not this is true, the cavalier has been seen in various parts of the building.

It's incredible just how many old pubs we have over here, especially in rural areas.  I'm surprised that pubs don't have more spectres, considering how much history they have seen.

Posted Image
Posted Image

In case...two words, not one Posted Image

#49    MadRueNRG

MadRueNRG

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 11:28 PM

Dear All,

I require your help with a little bit of research I am trying to do.
I have recently been trying to trace my family tree back to Price Rupert as he is a distant relative of mine.
I have found my family trees in our atic but these only go back just under 300 years. The trees before these must have been with the family and are now probably lost of as part of a archive.
Please could you tell me any information you may know of that will assist me in my search for the missing link.
I know there is a link as I have traced it back to the English and German royal family back in 1700. I just cannot find the final 200 years that would cover the missing link.

Thank-you for any help in this matter,

Regards,

Rupert Dickson
minddestroyer13@hotmail.com

Dickson (father) & Nichols (mother) Family
Royal link to Nichols side of family.

#50    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 09 June 2004 - 11:58 PM

Rupert,

Not to be a killjoy or anything, but your post is improperly placed as it has no relevance to the topic being discussed. You'd be better served searching for forums that are specifically focused on genealogy, not one whose purpose is the exploration and discussion of all things paranormal. http://www.google.com is a good search engine to use if you need help finding relevant web sites dedicated to genealogical issues. Good luck to you.

Magikman

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#51    MadRueNRG

MadRueNRG

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:32 AM

OK thank-you for your help.

I am just trying every possible source.

Thank-you once again,

Rupert

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users