Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

British MPs know nothing about Europe

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

The European Commissioner for Trade has spoken of his bewilderment and frustration at just how little most British MPs know about the European Union as the debate intensifies about the UK’s membership.
Karel de Gucht told The Independent: “It’s really amazing how little a lot of British politicians know about Europe. They should get better acquainted with it.”
He made the comments while warning that it would be “madness” and a “disaster” for Britain to leave the EU and put vital trade benefits at risk, possibly at the cost of tens of thousands of jobs.
Mr De Gucht, who is currently tasked with negotiating a free trade agreement between the EU and the United States, urged British leaders not to indulge in a “blame game” with Brussels for the UK’s economic and social problems. “It’s really amazing how little a lot of British politicians know about Europe,” the former Belgian Foreign Minister said. “You need decision on the basis of facts and figures and arguments, not on the basis of myths.
“Why don’t people tell the truth about the EU?”

In his role as Trade Commissioner – a post previously held by Lord Mandelson – the Belgian politician is currently leading negotiations for a landmark agreement to abolish all business tariffs between the EU and the US.
Arguing that this would benefit every household of four by an average of £466 a year and boost GDP by 0.5 per cent – and that a common language means Britain stands to benefit the most – Mr de Gucht said: “It would be clear madness to get out at this moment in time.”
He added: “If this deal were to go about it would result in jobs in the hundreds of thousands [across the EU], so we are giving you the best argument to stay in the European Union by negotiating this deal with the United States,” he said.

More: http://www.independe...in-8605212.html

#2    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

a dark, sarcastic, depressing blanket of nihilism

• 25,354 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

Well, the leftie marxist Independent would say that, wouldn't they. We need the Daily Mail for the objective, unibiased Truth about Europe.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#3    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

Well, that's an easy reply isn't it. Let's not focus on what is written just on the source.

The european commissioner adjusted his entire point of view to a newspaper. Sure.

Mr de Gucht also warned that politicians stoking public anger about the EU to avoid taking responsibility for the country’s problems – and false stories in the press – increased the chances of the UK leaving.
“We don’t want you to love Europe, love should be kept for personal relationships. But look at your own interests and ‘de-dramatise’ all this. I was reading a story that I was amazed by – it was about whether you could re-use jam jars for school fetes. Somebody was making jam for fetes but saying they are not able to do that anymore [because of EU regulations]. Why would we bother about that?”
Tory minister Ken Clarke’s decision to dismiss UKIP as “clowns” also came in for criticism from Mr de Gucht, who said that arguments by eurosceptics should be countered by facts and statistics showing the EU was the “best investment,” rather than indulging in insults.
“It’s a populist party, and during a crisis people prefer easy arguments and easy solutions,” he said of UKIP. “What you should not do is call them clowns, because then you are saying to voters you are voting for clowns, and the risk is the voter says: ‘So what? It’s my damn right to vote for a clown’.”

“You have problems with employment, with budget deficits, with fiscal policy. A lot of the problems you are facing are homemade, they are not from Europe. You are not going to resolve your crisis by engaging in a blame game. Everybody has problems, but we are in a better position to solve them together.

#4    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,830 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:34 AM

those who believe in the european project know that Britain leaving would be a major blow - the EU will continue without us. just as we will without them, but its right for any self governing nation to govern itself. a truly independent Britain is the way forward. the EU is so far removed from what we find acceptable. the people of this nation want out.  we've had ex-chancellor Lawson come out and say its time for Britain to leave. We also witnessed the peoples wishes. in recent elections we witnessed the United Kingdom Independence Party take 26% of the vote. from a standing start. something never done in British politics. and this was achieved in the wake of a smear campaign by the Tory Party. calling them clowns fruitcakes etc.. and worst of all launching a search by Tory party members of all the social media outlets like twitter/facebook accounts etc of UKIP party members trying to find something which would undermine and discredit UKIP's political rise. guess what none of it worked. if UKIP can poll 26% of the vote in a general election they'll form a coalition government.

It doesnt matter what the europeans think. The United Kingdom want out. simple as that.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#5    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,830 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

Posted Image

#6    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,854 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

Sounds like perhaps the EU knows nothing about Britain either...

#7    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,991 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 08 May 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

Well, the leftie marxist Independent would say that, wouldn't they. We need the Daily Mail for the objective, unibiased Truth about Europe.

Right, and given the format, all you have to do is read the headline and you are perfectly informed of *what goes on in the world*

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#8    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,551 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of the deal being negotiated but (even assuming it goes ahead and would bring us money), there's more to being a country than making money. And I think a lot of people here are tired of being stymied in pursuit of justice by EU regulations and being dragged down by association. The EU is failing and countries with any sense will be getting out while they can.

Edited by Setton, 08 May 2013 - 10:15 PM.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#9    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:04 AM

View Poststevewinn, on 08 May 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

those who believe in the european project know that Britain leaving would be a major blow - the EU will continue without us. just as we will without them, but its right for any self governing nation to govern itself. a truly independent Britain is the way forward. the EU is so far removed from what we find acceptable. the people of this nation want out.  we've had ex-chancellor Lawson come out and say its time for Britain to leave. We also witnessed the peoples wishes. in recent elections we witnessed the United Kingdom Independence Party take 26% of the vote. from a standing start. something never done in British politics. and this was achieved in the wake of a smear campaign by the Tory Party. calling them clowns fruitcakes etc.. and worst of all launching a search by Tory party members of all the social media outlets like twitter/facebook accounts etc of UKIP party members trying to find something which would undermine and discredit UKIP's political rise. guess what none of it worked. if UKIP can poll 26% of the vote in a general election they'll form a coalition government.

It doesnt matter what the europeans think. The United Kingdom want out. simple as that.

Don't you think its going to set a precedent for Scotland if the UK leaves the EU?  After all if its better to be independant than part of a Union why would Scotland stay in the UK?

Life is the result of the struggle between dynamic opposites Form & Chaos, Substance & Oblivion, Light & Dark And all the infinite variations of Yin & Yang
When the pendulum swings in favour of one It will eventually swing in favour of it's opposite Thus the balance of the universe is maintained

-Jeru the Damaja

#10    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,781 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

View PostSetton, on 08 May 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of the deal being negotiated but (even assuming it goes ahead and would bring us money), there's more to being a country than making money. And I think a lot of people here are tired of being stymied in pursuit of justice by EU regulations and being dragged down by association. The EU is failing and countries with any sense will be getting out while they can.
In many instances people only recieve justice when a case goes through the domestic court's and arrives at the European courts.

The EU is no more failing than Britain is failing. It is the shortcomings of the economic model we all follow which is failing us and it is failing Britain more than most.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#11    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,551 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 09 May 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

The EU is no more failing than Britain is failing. It is the shortcomings of the economic model we all follow which is failing us and it is failing Britain more than most.

And yet, we are the ones having to bail out other countries who didn't bother to manage their finances as well. Kind of suggests the opposite.

Regardless of the reasons, the recent elections are pretty clear; a lot of people want to get out now and get back to being the independent nation we once were.

'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#12    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,830 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

View PostAlmagest, on 09 May 2013 - 04:04 AM, said:

Don't you think its going to set a precedent for Scotland if the UK leaves the EU?  After all if its better to be independant than part of a Union why would Scotland stay in the UK?

its up to each country to decide their future. if the Scottish feel their future prosperity lies out side of the United Kingdom. then thats their right to choose. either way its up to the people to decide. - for me the EU is making it harder for us to remain members. they constantly attack our economy in the sense of the financial sector, we stupidly handed over our fishing grounds destroying our own fishing industry. 80% of EU fish come from British waters. mainly by the fishing fleets from Spain, Portugal and France. were losing Billions a year. were hamstrung, forbidden from making our own trade policy. we pay the EU to throw rubbish in our own landfill sites. we was ordered by EU rules to force the Royal Mail to open up its profitable side of the business to other EU companies. at each passing treaty were are being marginalised by the EU. the UK has been out voted on every issue for the last three years. we could go on and on. take this week, as reported on EuroNews channel. the EU at it again stabbing us in the back, when eu lawmaker, whose name i cannot remember except for him being Spanish said the European Parliament does not accept British sovereignty over the Falkland Islands. and this is going on all the time. Yesterday they the EU went further. Barroso came out in his speech saying he wants to set out the frame - plans for a European federation. and in doing so they are already looking for another treaty, or treaty change giving the EU even more powers. Barroso said The commission will, therefore, set out its views and explicit ideas for treaty change in order for them to be debated before the European elections." "We want to put all the elements on the table, in a clear and consistent way, even if some of them may sound like political science fiction today. They will be reality in a few years' time."

Does any British Citizen see his or herself self as a future small European backwater, lost as part of some Federation.

UKIP Nigel Farage, yesterday-

http://www.youtube.c...v=zaUYDeVtG0Q#!

Edited by stevewinn, 09 May 2013 - 11:30 AM.

Posted Image

#13    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,551 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 09 May 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

"They will be reality in a few years' time."

Nice to see he's waiting for the vote before saying that. Oh wait...

#14    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

Looking forward to the day Britain leaves the EU. We won't look back.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#15    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

• Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today...
    As You don't know what tomorrow bring's.......

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

The only real disaster, was joining up with the EU in the first place........ I bet Spain and Greece wished they never bothered

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users