Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

women tend to believe in ghosts,

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

"Women are more likely to be at the 'social' end of paranormal beliefs," Sturgess says. "They're more likely to believe in things like mediums, astrology, psychic healing, and ghosts.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz27efIq1hk

"Men, for instance, are more likely than women to believe in the alien astronaut theories of Erich von Daniken, and more cryptozoological things like the Loch Ness monster."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz27efRqmFn

this is true for me i believe in aliens but not ghosts, but my girlfriend believes in ghosts and not aliens.

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#2    HecticSherlock

HecticSherlock

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 102 posts

• "I hate having to jump into convo's, idea's, or subjects without prior knowledge or facts to back me up..but if religion can do it!"

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

Life's a conspiracy .> ...lol

#3    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

There has been an awakening

• 5,259 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

"Women are more likely to be at the 'social' end of paranormal beliefs," Sturgess says. "They're more likely to believe in things like mediums, astrology, psychic healing, and ghosts.

"Men, for instance, are more likely than women to believe in the alien astronaut theories of Erich von Daniken, and more cryptozoological things like the Loch Ness monster."

I think that is generally reflected on UM...

Edited by Junior Chubb, 27 September 2012 - 01:35 PM.

#4    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,206 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hum...opposite in my house.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#5    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,779 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

Only because they usually be a cookin' in the kitchen and seein' all sorts of smoky apparitions. It's very logical ;)

Edit: And men are outside hunting and workin' the fields and always misidentifying natural phenomena!

Edited by Timonthy, 27 September 2012 - 02:28 PM.

Posted Image

#6    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

I do indeed think that UFOs has tended to be a "guy thing", mainly because it seems to involve science, technology, nuts and bolts, etc, but it becomes more of a female thing when it turns into New Age channels, contact with aliens, advanced ETs who give out "prophecies" and so on, but the guys tend to think that's all goofy and based on personal feelings rather than evidence.  

Pure ("male") Ufology is some military pilot in a fast jet chasing around a UFO that is also being tracked on radar. New Age ("female") ufology is having telepathic contact with  Space Brothers or sometimes even having their babies.

#7    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,720 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

Well, I am female and beleive in ghosts AND aliens.  I have seen ghosts but not aliens.  To me, history tells us someone visited our planet.  And for Earth to be the only planet with intelligent life, never mind life is not logical to me.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#8    jackball74

jackball74

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

I'm across the board with my beliefs - ghosts, aliens, cryptozoology.  I'm also one of those guys that loves reading and writing but fears math.

#9    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

no surprise there. women are more intuitive as a rule and would be more receptive to the idea.

#10    Hippycrite

Hippycrite

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 109 posts

• even the President of the United States must sometimes have to stand naked-Bob Dylan

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

Story confirmed at my house, except I might say "subjects of interest" by gender rather than "beliefs".

#11    Amy the Mighty

Amy the Mighty

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

I believe in aliens. Even if those "aliens" are emotionless, single-cell organisms. I think what we believe are ghosts, could be some residual energy phenomenon. Like when you go to a fantastic music venue while it's empty, and still get that feeling that awesome things happened there. Energy, but not ghosts. I don't believe in ghosts.

I don't watch chick-flicks, I can change my own oil, and I own no "shapewear." I am surrendering my Lady-Card now.

#12    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,164 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

View PostTimonthy, on 27 September 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

Only because they usually be a cookin' in the kitchen and seein' all sorts of smoky apparitions. It's very logical ;)
Perhaps they aren't in the kitchen long enough to realise it's just smoke.

#13    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

View PostAmy the Mighty, on 27 September 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

I believe in aliens. Even if those "aliens" are emotionless, single-cell organisms. I think what we believe are ghosts, could be some residual energy phenomenon. Like when you go to a fantastic music venue while it's empty, and still get that feeling that awesome things happened there. Energy, but not ghosts. I don't believe in ghosts.

I don't watch chick-flicks, I can change my own oil, and I own no "shapewear." I am surrendering my Lady-Card now.
only singled celled? ya i believe there are countless types out there just given the odds. and i never got that feeling your talking about, never made sense to me why people always "feel" a sort of energy when going to a historic site i think its just usly people think about wat has happen there and they react in a emotional way.

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#14    meryt-tetisheri

meryt-tetisheri

Psychic Spy

• 1,228 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

"Sturgess says differences between the paranormal beliefs of men and women can in part be attributed to historical, cultural and societal factors"

A tendancy to believe in the paranormal is not an inherent part of being a woman!

Edited by meryt-tetisheri, 27 September 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#15    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

Neither I or my fiance believe in aliens, we believe there might be a form of life on other planets, but nothing like Star Trek! However we both believe in the paranormal because we have both witnessed stuff that can only be explained as paranormal. He's seen a ghost and I've witnessed poltergeist activity.

But we are a very unusual couple :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users