Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Axl Rose with AC/DC

rattpoison

So Brian Johnson, the lead singer of AC/DC since the Back In Black album from 1980, is out of the band AC/DC since his ears are being damaged during loud concerts. Someone also told me that his throat is being damaged from his singing style (I haven't seen this on the news but the source was good, plus considering Thomas Keifer from Cinderella had to rest his voice years ago and Axl Rose has had callouses in his throat).

The rumor, confirmed my the son of Malcolm Young, is that the Guns 'n Roses front man, Axl Rose, will be finishing off the US tour in Johnson's place.

I, for one, hope it happens and a live album is put out.

But...

Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Can Axl sing AC/CD tunes?

Can Axl get along with a band that he isn't in charge of?

Will fans still pay to see them in concert?

And...

Should I spend $ to travel to see this if it happens?

I'm curious of other peoples' opinions. I think this is a pretty huge deal for a band like AC/DC who still remains relevant and respected to this day and might have even reached trendy status, judging by the sheer number of people who wear their shirts but own no albums by the band. Joining them would be a man who still sells out concert halls and sells millions of albums without some of the most respected musicians there are.

• Like 2

Really not sure. Big time AC/DC Fan. Love their stuff, the switch to Brian after Bon created enough unrest, this might create waves I would think, Axl seems really up himself, he seems a long distance apart culturally form the laid back attitude of Australia and ACDC themselves.

Rather interesting, I will look forward to some sort of early release, they do both have high voices, but that is where all similarities end, Brian started with a new look and a new album. He wasn't so much covering Bon Scott, he took a new path, can't see it with Axl, I suspect this will be a short term band aid fix.

I think he can cover the songs OK, but not the character that Brian Johnson is, Axl just isn't AC/DC. His ego is just too big for that band. It's not Axl Rose and the AC/DC Show, it is AC/DC. Axl has already announced AC/DC will be covering some Guns n Roses. Not really sure about that either.

Axl is a big Rose Tattoo Fan and seems to quite like Aussie rock. I wish him well, but I have to say, am somewhat dubious.

Good topic :tu:

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 4

I'd like to hear this myself. Axl isn't exactly known for getting along with other band members or being a nice guy. He's probably the best choice for the job, though. Can't think of anyone else who has the voice or the celebrity.

• Like 3

I'd like to hear this myself. Axl isn't exactly known for getting along with other band members or being a nice guy. He's probably the best choice for the job, though. Can't think of anyone else who has the voice or the celebrity.

I actually mentioned a couple of weeks ago to someone that Steve Tyler would be a half decent choice, I reckon he would have been better than Axl, but what the hell is wrong with Aussie singers? Plenty of talent, and Brian was not chosen as a Bon Scott clone.

What's the go there AC/DC????

How does he have time?

GNR playing Coachella ( original, mostly band ) and a possible tour.

Coachella April 16 and 23rd.

• Like 4

Axl definitely has the raspy voice but at the same time his voice has been shot for years already. He could've owned some acdc songs 20 years ago but he can't even own his own songs now. Myles Kennedy out-Axls Axl's songs by leaps and bounds these days. I'm a huge GnR fan but I can't deny the obvious vocal issues. That said I'm super pumped for this GnR reunion and they're coming to Pittsburgh but I'll believe it is real only if they make through a handful shows first. I've never seen Slash and he's better than ever these days. I seen the GnR Buckethead lineup back in '03. Axl was way late of course but the show was good and seeing Buckethead was awesome. Even then Axl wasn't his old self but he powers through it still. All this reclusiveness and a sudden Guns reunion plus a tour with AcDc? I'll be shocked if it all goes off without a hitch or even goes off at all. The fan in me demands optimism though.

• Like 3

I dont think I would like hearing Axl Rose sing any song that AC/DC sung . Frankly my opinion Axl Rose sucks he needs to just disappear and stay gone.

Edited by Darkenpath25
  • Like 1

Axl definitely has the raspy voice but at the same time his voice has been shot for years already. He could've owned some acdc songs 20 years ago but he can't even own his own songs now. Myles Kennedy out-Axls Axl's songs by leaps and bounds these days. I'm a huge GnR fan but I can't deny the obvious vocal issues. That said I'm super pumped for this GnR reunion and they're coming to Pittsburgh but I'll believe it is real only if they make through a handful shows first. I've never seen Slash and he's better than ever these days. I seen the GnR Buckethead lineup back in '03. Axl was way late of course but the show was good and seeing Buckethead was awesome. Even then Axl wasn't his old self but he powers through it still. All this reclusiveness and a sudden Guns reunion plus a tour with AcDc? I'll be shocked if it all goes off without a hitch or even goes off at all. The fan in me demands optimism though.

Callouses on this throat wasn't it? I saw the Gunners in the 90's when they toured here with Skid Row and Rose Tattoo. I thought Slash was brilliant, and so was Axl, I have to admit he was a great showman, his performance was fantastic. ended it by throwing his wireless mic into the crowd, which was pretty cool, cooler for the person who caught it no doubt :D

Skid row as a surprise, was not into their stuff when I saw them, but their show was great, good to see something better than you expected it to be.

I was at the Black Ice Tour for AC/DC, it was more than amazing, Angus is legendary, to be doing what he does at his age is very impressive. Glad I did, it seems it might have been the last time we saw the line up live. I hope GnR make it down here. That would be a great show.

• Like 2

Looks to be authentic and a flashback ... not really something out of the wild blue ... but I hesitate to say that Axl might prove to be a disappointment to the younger crowd who expects the old Axl and nothing else ...

Flashback: Guns N' Roses Cover AC/DC in 1987

As rumors heat up that Axl Rose is going to front AC/DC, listen to Guns N' Roses doing 'Whole Lotta Rosie'

By Andy Greene

March 28, 2016

The widespread rumor that Axl Rose is going to be a guest singer with AC/DC later this year was seemingly confirmed this morning when TMZ posted a photo of the Guns N' Roses frontman exiting an Atlanta rehearsal space with Angus Young, Cliff Williams and Chris Slade. The band has yet to say exactly how they will address the absence of Brian Johnson at upcoming gigs, though this makes it seem likely that Rose will be involved to some degree at some point on the tour. Rose has a pretty busy schedule with Guns N' Roses this summer, and it's hard to imagine he'll have the time to be the voice of two major rock tours, but we'll see what happens.

• Like 1

I also feel that Axl is a strange choice given his inability to get along with countless musicians. Add to that his need for full ownership over the Guns 'n Roses brand, or name, I guess.

The main reason I want it to happen is that I think it could sound pretty cool. I'm a big fan of Axl, as a singer, and I'm also an owner of much of the AC/DC catalog. Plus I'd like the fans who have bought tickets to get their moneys' worth and I think this is one way for that to happen.

I've heard people say that vocalists from bands like Brytny Fox, Cinderella and Nazareth sound like AC/DC but not all vocalists that sing in that style sound the same, people just aren't as familiar with these other bands. That being said there are other choices but Axl brings the star-power and some curiosity.

• Like 2

Udo Dirkschneider from Accept could be an interesting choice. Judging by all his solo stuff and collaborations as of late he might still have a strong voice.

With Guns recording and ready for tour, I don't see how he'd have the time.

• Like 1

I feel the same way. I'm not sure how this could happen. If it does we should know soon given the fact that the band is mid-tour now. They must have cancelled several dates.

He is only doing ten shows I think, then it's all over.

I was never a big GnR fan. I liked the first album if I remember that far back. I always HATED acdc. First time I heard the song TNT on the radio I thought it was a joke. Literally. Till it just kept going an I realized it was an actual song.

I've always been more an AC/DC fan than G nR, but I think Axl has too screechy a voice to carry AC/DC

• Like 1

Horrible idea. Axl is done. What I saw of him in concert, he cannot reach the notes anymore. He is okay singing lower notes, but his upper range is nothing like it used to be. I do not think he could do Scott and Johnson justice. I had said that if GnR were to get back together, then Myles Kennedy should be the singer. He sounds closer Axl on Appetite then Axl does now.

• Like 1

It's a stadium tour. This is huge. Heinz Field July 12!

Apparently the kick off in LA tonight at one of their old clubs. Excited to see how this unfolds.

• Like 1

*lip sync*

:lol:

• Like 1

I want to hear what Axl sounds like with the rest of AC/DC before I pass judgment.

• Like 3

GnR will be here (Houston) August 8th.

If I was younger I might go :lol:

• Like 3

GnR will be here (Houston) August 8th.

If I was younger I might go :lol:

I used to really like concerts but now I'm at the point where I just hate being surrounded by so many people. It's mostly my fear of crowds and traffic.

• Like 4