Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 5 votes

Photography Challenge

• Please log in to reply
628 replies to this topic

#331    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 14,470 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

View Postjules99, on 26 April 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

Dark blue,
Im a beginner with nightscapes, its fun and I love the spooky aura of the photos..any advice appreciated

Posted Image

I love, love, love this

One does not simply walk into Mordor.

#332    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,087 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

View Postjules99, on 26 April 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

Dark blue,
Im a beginner with nightscapes, its fun and I love the spooky aura of the photos..any advice appreciated

Posted Image
Very nice.  I love good night-time photographs.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#333    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,240 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

Thanks, Sarah (and the other likers..) :D

Jules, that's a fine effort for a first night exposure - well done.  I've only got a few to date (mainly because good astro-photography is *hard* and I'm terminally lazy..) but am just about to get a very capable low light camera.  So I better get off my backside and use it..!  Like Sarah I'm looking forward to getting away from city lights and capturing some Milky Way wideangle/panorama shots, maybe even some timelapse imagery...

I find this sort of thing absolutely captivating and extraordinarily beautiful:
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/6686768" width="400" height="250" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Timescapes, Tom Low

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/15069551" width="400" height="250" frameborder="0"></iframe>
The Unseen Sea - Simon Christen

Obviously those are not mine, but I can dream!  That type of photography just needs a capable (*see below) camera that either has an 'intervalometer' or a remote shutter release (you can buy cheap intervalometers on Ebay for $30 or less), or a Canon that has 'CHDK', and a good tripod.  If you want the moving ones you'll either need some sort of dolly/rail system or it can also be done by mounting the camera to, say, your car window - then drive very slowly on a smooth road as the interval thingy is taking the shots...!

* Capable..?  For daytime, pretty much any camera that can take shots at intervals will do fine.  If you want the night shots with stars and milky way.. you'll want a camera with a larger sensor than a normal compact, eg Micro 4/3, APS-C, 35mm full frame..  The bigger the sensor, the better.

All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

"Like the JFK assassination conspiracy theories, the UFO issue probably will not go away soon, no matter what the CIA does or says. The belief that we are not alone in the universe is too emotionally appealing and the distrust of our government is too pervasive to make the issue amenable to traditional scientific studies or rational explanation and evidence." - Gerald K Haines

#334    jules99

jules99

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

View PostChrlzs, on 27 April 2013 - 02:11 AM, said:

Thanks, Sarah (and the other likers..) :D
Hi Chrizs;
It will be a week or so here before the moon wanes enough to get good star photos. Im guilty of not attaching camera to telescope  also but as you say its difficult, I just bought a focus aid for my refractor and single axis tracking for my mount so Ive got no excuses either :innocent:   I would like to try the Orion nebula soon though, maybe next week.
cheers

Edited by jules99, 27 April 2013 - 10:07 PM.

#335    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,240 posts

when it IS worthless...

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:56 PM

Yep, the Moon is a bit of an issue, but it does light up the landscape very nicely..  Like all of photography, it's a balancing act!  Look forward to seeing your next shots - I'm still waiting on the new camera, may be a few weeks away (out of stock at the places who have the best price..).

All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

"Like the JFK assassination conspiracy theories, the UFO issue probably will not go away soon, no matter what the CIA does or says. The belief that we are not alone in the universe is too emotionally appealing and the distrust of our government is too pervasive to make the issue amenable to traditional scientific studies or rational explanation and evidence." - Gerald K Haines

#336    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,240 posts

when it IS worthless...

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

Speaking of Blues and the Moon*...

Posted Image

but.. I havta admit that it isn't the Moon.  I deliberately underexposed a misty morning fog shot for a spooky effect - that's actually the *Sun*.  Ah, the deceptions we camera nuts use...

#337    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,809 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

Chrlzs, have you seen the Death Vally Dreamlapse video? It's one of my favourites.

Okay, it's not working. I can never post Vimeo without a fight so I put the YouTube one up. There's a new one just posted yesterday as well. It's called Death Valley Dreamlapse 2.  Amazing stuff.

Edited by sarah_444, 29 April 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#338    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 14,470 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

View PostChrlzs, on 29 April 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

Speaking of Blues and the Moon*...

Posted Image

but.. I havta admit that it isn't the Moon.  I deliberately underexposed a misty morning fog shot for a spooky effect - that's actually the *Sun*.  Ah, the deceptions we camera nuts use...
Beautiful

One does not simply walk into Mordor.

#339    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,240 posts

when it IS worthless...

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

View Postsarah_444, on 29 April 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

Chrlzs, have you seen the Death Vally Dreamlapse video? It's one of my favourites.
No, I hadn't - thanks!!  I just love timelapses, especially when there's a moonlit landscape thrown in..  I am absolutely itching to get my new camera.. while my current workhorse is pretty capable, it's got a smallish sensor and hasn't really got enough low-light performance to do the sort of things I want..  Hopefully I'll be able to post some amateurish initial attempts soon..

BTW, for anyone who is photography/camera-obsessed like me, I've started a chat/discussion thread here...

#340    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

I'm flying out to Singapore and Phuket tomorrow night. Will try and get some photos.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#341    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,465 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:44 AM

New Topic.. Angel hair..
(ok, that's cobwebs)

Angelhair is one of those known but once unknown phenomena that occurs occasionally in some parts of the world but is rarely noticed or observed..

This morning we started getting lot's of angel hair falling from the sky.. Here's some that accumulated on the clothesline.. It's Damn hard to photograph, had to pull out my Olympus for this shot.. It's a very fine web, very delicate, it melts in your hand..
These webs (been watching them all morning) are 1-5 meters long. It's quite a remarkable thing to see. But so damn hard to photograph happening.

Posted Image

#342    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,240 posts

when it IS worthless...

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

Not angel hair, but close.. just a few days ago, misty morning, trying out a new lens..
Posted Image

#343    Fstop

Fstop

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

Blue

Posted Image
IMG_4547croppedwithsig by orangepeaceful79, on Flickr

We don’t see things as they are. We see things as we are. – Anais Nin

#344    Fstop

Fstop