Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you take the Bible "literally"?

whoa182

Do you take the Bible "literally"?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you take the Bible "literally"?

• Yes
    • No

First of all I would really appreciate if you could vote Yes or No before I begin a Serious discussion on implications of both answeres.

I'll return sometime in the morning, hopefuly there will be Enough votes. It would be a big help even if you dont want to contribute by discussing, a Vote will be cool !

Thanks

Edited by whoa182

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whoa182

• SilverCougar

• Ashley-Star*Child

• Something Like Laughter

Top Posters In This Topic

If I did.. I'd been married at 12.. have 20 kids.. sold my yongest daughter to slavery... and never leave the house...

If I did.. I'd been married at 12.. have 20 kids.. sold my yongest daughter to slavery... and never leave the house...

437226[/snapback]

hehe! cute. The bible should not be taken literally, that much is true. It seems to me that many people put too much stock in the words of the bible and not the actual meaning.

i take what is ment to be taken literaly, literaly. what isnt ment to be taken literaly, i do not take literaly.

Yes, I take it literally, unless it LITERALLY says 'PARABLE' next to it, or in the case of Revelation, in the case where it says it's symbolic.

Even in that case, most peopel don't realize that the 'beast' for example, though said to be symbolism, is no doubt how it literally is and is seen by those of Heaven. Humans see this 'beast' an a human incarnate. What happens in Heaven, also, conversely happens on Earth, just not in the same way. There is a very real reason for the saying 'as above, so below'. What's happening here, is in alot of ways a reflection of what is happening in Heaven, and vice versa, especially in parts which were foretold. Just not in the same way. Humans see it manifested in the human world, Heaven sees it as it really is. I'm not saying that goes for EVERYTHING that happens on Earth, but in some cases.

A parable, btw, is a way of explaining something (like Jesus talking in parables, though not EVERYTHING He said was a parable), that's not the same as the telling of past, present, or the foretelling of future events - or the description of Heaven. THAT is when it most definantly SHOULD be taken literally.

Pure mythology - and not even as good as Nordic or Greek mythology....too blood-thirsty, but hey give the guy a break, he started out as a Semitic Sky God/War God! yes.gif

To take it litterally one would have to believe EVERY story 100% true and that would be hard to swallow some of it yes I do alot I use as a lesson not as an actual event. so since you only asked for yes or no I was forced to say no!

I work with some really great Southern Baptists. They're wonderful people and great friends. But if you try to have a logical discussion with them about religion or the Bible, it's like banging your head against a brick wall.

Some people who say they take the Bible literally actually pick and choose what they want to take literally. I've had many heated discussions with Bible thumpers who will fight to the death on one issue and then do a complete backflip on something that doesn't suit their purposes. Hypocrisy is rampant!

I'm a Catholic Christian. I believe the Word of God can be found in the Bible. But I also believe the word of man can be found in the Bible. Anything that has had man's hand in it is subject to error or interpretation. However, the true essence of God's Word can be found among it's pages, and it's a beautiful tool to use to help us get through our life.

But you can make your life, and those around you, absolutely miserable if you give up your own common sense and follow blindly something that has been written by man, even though a part of it has been inspired by God. God gave us our common sense, and our spiritual community, to discern those things of God and those of man. A serious study of the history of the text, and the beginnings of Judaism and Christianity, is necessary for an educated believer. It doesn't ruin your faith to believe this way--it enlightens you and opens your mind to an even greater God.

Edited by HowdyDoo

nswering "yes" puts you in an extreme position. Affirming that the entirety of Scripture is to be taken literally is a confession of fundamentalism.

Answering in the " No " implies that you may not be taking the Bible seriously at all, questioning the historical credibility, If there is 1 lie (and the book is supposed to be gods word) then how many in the book. For example, If you take a science paper and lie about some of the tests, it loses all credibility.

Problems with Saying " YES "

These are what I found and is from the Bible.

The Bible says: The Earth is flat

Isaiah 11:12

12 And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH. (KJV)

Revelation 7:1

1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. (KJV)

He shakes the earth from its place and makes its pillars tremble. (From the NIV Bible, Job 9:6)"

The Earth has pillars?!

He shakes the earth from its place and makes its pillars tremble. (From the NIV Bible, Job 9:6)"

"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand. (From the NIV Bible, Job 38:4)"

It is clear that the above Biblical Verses suggest and claim that the Earth is flat, has Edges, has Four Corners, has Pillars, and has Foundations

"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in. (From the NIV Bible, Isaiah 40:22)"

1- Isaiah 40:22 is claiming that the Earth is a flat circle.

2- Isaiah 40:22 is claiming that the Earth has a circle above it.

Isaiah 40:22 This verse does imply that the earth is circular, but there is nothing either in the underlying Hebrew word (hug) or in the context which necessarily implies anything more than the circularity of the flat earth-disc which the historical context and Genesis 1 have given us as the meaning of. If Isaiah had intended to speak of the earth as a globe, he would probably have used the word he used in 22:18 (dur), meaning 'ball.

If you accept the bible literally - then the biblical creation account seems to justify the belief that the world was flat and had a roof, So please will you explain this, No spin. I want a perfectly good explanation, because if you said Yes I do take the bible litrually, This is ALL of Gods word.

This is just 1 of the parts where the bible loses credibility and shows that its currupt.

To the people who answered No, But believe the bible has Gods word.

I would ask, Since the bible is Supposed to be gods word. If you're faith is so strong in God, why do you not Take the bible litrually. If many things in the bible are contradiction of each other. And most of the People in the bible that wrote about Jesus were not eye witness accounts, because they grew up After jesus.

Thats like me Writting about einstein with no knowledge and telling people how he changed the world forever. All i knew is he liked science. Its not going to be terribly accurate without hearing from other people. And we all know That when Messages get passed on through generations, things do change. So How can you trust any of the bible if most of it is currupt and Un-true to the real world as we know it today. With evidence.

If you cant take the bible seriously, HOW can you believe in any of it is correct.

you really should have included a middle option.

not all of the bible is ment to be taken literally, depending on the genre or if it is part of a retorical device.

poety, song, allegories, and hyperbole come to mind easily on things that should not be taken literally.

And most of the People in the bible that wrote about Jesus were not eye witness accounts, because they grew up After jesus.

out of the 4 gospels, the only places in the bible jesus' life is really talked about, matthew was one of the original desciples, mark uses a lot of details that would be expected of an eyewitness account and he probably used peter as a source since the book spends much of its time talking about peter, dont really know about luke, and john was, like matthew, a desciple. so, two were definately eyewitnesses, one may have been, and one i dont really know about. so much for most of them not being eyewitnesses.

and as a parallel, most ancient historians were not eyewitnesses to what they record.

whoa182: in your post beginning with "nswering "yes" puts you in an extreme position." did you copy most of your post from here: http://www.answering-christianity.com/earth_flat.htm ?

Yes some of it. I said I got some of the sources from the net at the beginning of the post. since I was going to say pretty much the same thing anway. Ctrl+C is easier.

Edited by whoa182

I don't think all the bible is to be taken literally. For example, in Job 9:6, it says

4 "Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding.

If you carry on reading, it continues...

7 when the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? 8 "Or who shut in the sea with doors, when it burst forth from the womb;

If this was meant to be taken literally, stars sing, the sea has doors and the sea came from the womb of some huge goddess!

It's quite clear to me that God is speaking poetically to Job. cool.gif

"If I did.. I'd been married at 12.. have 20 kids.. sold my yongest daughter to slavery... and never leave the house... "

where in the bible does it tell you to do that?!?

it's in Leviticus... I tried looking for it.. and got stuck on the atrocious of what's supposed to happen to a woman who's menstruating...

*rolls her eyes* didn't pay to be a chick back then when people did follow every word of this....

i take some things literally

i support slavery and my slaves listen

(Ephesians 6:5: Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling....)

i subordinate women

1 Corinthians 11:9 For neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.)

For me, I don't think that I even listen to the bible. I have my different thoughts and opinions about it.

And for the voting thingy, I don't think I'll choose since there isn't an "other".

some parts of the bible should be taken literally, like the ten commandments. but not all of it like revelation and daniel where a lot of symbolism is used, like "beast"which is referring to a political power or government, or in daniel "winds" which mean political commotion and war. these two book of prophecy are identifying marks about the end times and what events will happpen.

as for the bible talking about "four corners of the earth" it is referring to north, south, east, and west.

it is through misinterpretation in which the bible is misunderstood.

The ten commandments is another shining example of someone's "common sence law" and tool for control.

Alot of them are common sence factors.. that really should have nothing to do with religion... just society in general.. no matter what the beliefs in such is. Other's like don't adulter.. is a control tool. What if you're in an open poligamist marrage? *shrugs* Why make people who are ok with sharing themselves with thier spouse and other people stop doing such?

I think I've mentioned before that the Bible may be read as a history, a novel, or as the Word of God. Prayer and divine guidance is the only way to discover the true meaning of the symbols on the pages. The only thing in the Bible for the non-believer is the story of salvation. Until one has accepted Christ, God doesn't know you, your name is not found in the Book of Life. Until God is your guide you may as well be reading an alien text, or having it explained to you in an alien tongue.

Everyone sees the bible verse in the way that God has meant for them to see it. Two people can read the same verse and get two totaly different meanings out of it.