Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Looking for a First-person Shooter on Xbox360

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,087 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

So I've started playing my Xbox again recently.  I bought Halo 4 (big Halo fan) and really loved the story Arc.  But alas, it ended too quickly.  Even replaying it on Legendary only made the same story a little longer so I sent it back for a refund.

These days much of the Xbox gamer community is focused on Xbox Live, unfortunately I don't have a Live account.  First, I don't want to pay 100 bucks a year to sign up.  Second, I don't want to end up spending all my time on the console (which would happen if I paid for Xbox Live).  Unfortunately, this also means that much of the content of games is unavailable to me.  I can't engage in endless multiplayer skirmishes.  The fun of my gaming must be enjoyed in the storyline arcs and gameplay of Single player combat.  

So with that in mind, I am looking for a First-person shooter to hold my interest.  Halo 4 (already played) was good (great storyline, actually), but because it was so short it left me wanting more.  The obvious choice is between Black Ops and Modern Warfare, but I thought I'd ask the UM community about which game they think has the best Single Player experience.  Is it COD, MW, or something else?

Any help is appreciate :tu:

~ Regards, PA

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#2    Verloc

Verloc

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 23 posts

• War....war never changes.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Are you looking for a straight-forward FPS or something like Gears of War etc?

#3    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Bioshock. It'll take you quite a bit longer than Halo. At least it has taken me a lot longer. Then there is the second one and then third, Infinite, which is due out in the next couple of months. A good chance you've played them though; maybe you could list the ones you've played?

It's not a first person shooter, but the Mass Effect trilogy is epic and should last you a while. Crysis has a new game coming out in Feb as well I think.

Unfortunately you'll not find a massive amount of single-player content when it comes to the better games like Halo and CoD, because they seem to ignore the part of the game that doesn't make them as much money, as I'm sure you already know.

#4    NemoMysterio

NemoMysterio

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

• And that's the bottom line...

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Doom 3 has recently been re-released on 360 and PS3. It includes all expansions AND Doom 1 and 2. So loads to do and honestly Doom 1 and 2 beats any COD game.

Mass Effect trilogy has one of the best story arcs...ever.

As for first person Dishonoured was a suprising success last year combining stealth, swordplay and magic. Well worth a look!

Not first person....but a game that is  challenging I'd reccomend Demon Souls, Dark Souls. Check em out on youtube.

If you fancy strategy pie then I'd go for X-Com: Enemy Unknown. Turn based RTS  type thingy.

#5    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

The Gears of war series is one of the best on the Xbox.

Really would advise getting Live though, it only costs 1 game a year and you would save the money on mostly playing 1 or 2 games for a lot longer.

I mean take Halo or Gears for example. Probably a couple of days to a week to complete depending on how much you play each day. Then you need a new game. With Live you pretty much add a year or 2 to the games life expectancy.. lol

I played Gears 1 from release until Gears 2. (I think it was 2 years)

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#6    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,087 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Already played Mass Effect and loved it, thanks for the Heads Up.  I haven't gotten into Bioshock yet - not 1 or 2 or any game.  Should I start at part 1 or dive in at the most recent version of the game?

And yeah - ExpandMyMind, I've noticed that Multiplayer seems to be the way of the future, and the way of making Microsoft a lot of money.  

And coffey - I do see your point, I just feel that I have a very addictive personality, and if I do this I'll end up devoting large parts of my life to Xbox Live, something I'm not really sure i want to do at this stage.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#7    NemoMysterio

NemoMysterio

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

• And that's the bottom line...

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 24 January 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

Already played Mass Effect and loved it, thanks for the Heads Up.  I haven't gotten into Bioshock yet - not 1 or 2 or any game.  Should I start at part 1 or dive in at the most recent version of the game?

And yeah - ExpandMyMind, I've noticed that Multiplayer seems to be the way of the future, and the way of making Microsoft a lot of money.  

And coffey - I do see your point, I just feel that I have a very addictive personality, and if I do this I'll end up devoting large parts of my life to Xbox Live, something I'm not really sure i want to do at this stage.

Bit of discipline and you'll be fine. All things in moderation.

#8    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 24 January 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

I'd start on the first Bioshock (I got both last week and started this way, though my GF got me Mass Effect 3 for my birthday yesterday so that has taken over :)). Its storyline is truly unique and based on morality and human nature. Graphics may be a bit dated at times, but grabbing a gas canister with telekinesis and throwing it at a group of mobs never gets old. So, yeah, gameplay is still great.

Bioshock is the best single-player game I've played since Mass Effect 1 and 2 and has got to be up there with the all time best games ever.

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 24 January 2013 - 03:05 PM.

#9    CRYSiiSx2

CRYSiiSx2

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Battlefield 3 all the way.  I have some gameplay vids if you wanna check it out at http://youtube.com/sktm06

EDIT: Just re-read and noticed you don't have a Live account, in which I wouldn't go for Battlefield because it is made around its multiplayer.  But look out because sometimes M$ offers free Live weekends.  If you're going for singleplayer, I'd look at Farcry 3 and the new Tomb Raider is coming out, which looks awesome.  Not to mention Crysis 3 is coming out early next month.

Edited by CRYSiiSx2, 24 January 2013 - 03:12 PM.

Posted Image
NRA - PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT
my twitter @sktm06

#10    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,087 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

View PostNemoMysterio, on 24 January 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

Bit of discipline and you'll be fine. All things in moderation.
Have you ever asked a person with an Addictive Personality to try things in Moderation?  Easier said than done, lol :devil:

View PostExpandMyMind, on 24 January 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

I'd start on the first Bioshock (I got both last week and started this way, though my GF got me Mass Effect 3 for my birthday yesterday so that has taken over :)). Its storyline is truly unique and based on morality and human nature. Graphics may be a bit dated at times, but grabbing a gas canister with telekinesis and throwing it at a group of mobs never gets old. So, yeah, gameplay is still great.

Bioshock is the best single-player game I've played since Mass Effect 1 and 2 and has got to be up there with the all time best games ever.
I guess I'll definitely try it out then.  My brother has it on PC, but I think I'll try and do it on Xbox - I've never really gotten into the PC gaming side of things, lol

Posted Image

#11    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostCRYSiiSx2, on 24 January 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

Battlefield 3 all the way.  I have some gameplay vids if you wanna check it out at http://youtube.com/sktm06

The single player campaign is over far too quickly, which is what the poster was looking for. Battlefield single player lasts about as long as the CoDs.

#12    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 24 January 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

Have you ever asked a person with an Addictive Personality to try things in Moderation?  Easier said than done, lol :devil:

I guess I'll definitely try it out then.  My brother has it on PC, but I think I'll try and do it on Xbox - I've never really gotten into the PC gaming side of things, lol

Apart from WoW, neither have I. And to be honest I'm a bit wary of playing any others and ending up like I was when on WoW again :) Though the Star Wars MMORPG seriously interests me.

I got both Bioshocks for 10 quid (5 each), second hand. Great deals you get from trade-in games shops.

Let me know if you enjoy it.

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 24 January 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#13    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,717 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Dishonored is an excellent one, if you want a FPS right now. Otherwise I'd hold out for the new Bioshock.

#14    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

• 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

Well, to your original question, which is better, Black Ops or Modern Warfare 3, I played the heck out of MW3 before moving to BO2. They're both great, I'd start with MW3 and then move to BO2. Now, you said that you have to pay $100/year of Xbox Live?!? I only pay $50.00/year for Xbox Live Gold. If you REALLY love First person shooter games, Playing on Xbox Live opens all these games to a whole new world. They become very addicting!

#15    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Boderlands 2 Is a good one, its got a ton of side missions you can do in addition to the story, I hated COD that game is like 5 hours long I beat it in one sitting. Never again man. Also the before mentioned Bioshock and Dishonored games I had a lot of fun with.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users