Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Morgellons Disease, Joni Mitchell's Mystery

She-ra

Singer Joni Mitchell is currently hospitalized after being found unconscious in her home earlier this week. While the exact reason for her hospitalization is still not known, it has raised renewed interest in Morgellons disease, a controversial condition the 71-year-old has been outspoken about having.

But just what is Morgellons? It depends who you ask: People with Morgellons say it’s a real condition, characterized by strange fibers coming out of the skin, memory and concentration problems, itchy sores and rashes, and the feeling that there is something moving or biting beneath the skin.

Read more here: https://www.yahoo.com/health/morgellons-disease-joni-mitchells-mystery-115321309732.html

Poor woman. Sounds horrifying!

• Like 1

Ohhh man, hearing about this disease always freaks me out so bad!!!

Whilst the CDC considers Morgellons to be Psychological disorder, it does not explain the very physical symptoms associated with it: brightly coloured fibres (cellulose based) growing out of the skin.

Now, the human body does not have an enzyme capable of breaking down cellulose so it passes through the digestive system unaltered, that cellulose fibres are a symptom of Morgellons suggests that PERHAPS there is some mechanism, in some people, whereby the cellulose from fibre is somehow transported to the ectoderm and it embeds into the follicle root system and basically "hi-jacks" it to make it only receptive to cellulose.

I know it is a far stretch, and I have absolutely no way of testing or proving this theoretical possibility as it is way outside my field - just a thought....