Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Nearest Sun-like star has planets [merged]

exoplanets tau ceti

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16    Pyridium

Pyridium

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

If intelligent life lived on that planet, they were exterminated by a comet about 700 million years ago, now it is populated with pea brained dinosaurs.

#17    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 19 December 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

its all very interesting thanks for the replies Waspie & Bison. when it comes to SETI, do they use more advanced methods of listening today than back when they first started? or last listened into Tau Cet star system?
    Computational power is increasing rapidly all the time, so is receiver technology. These can aid in the recognition of signals that might have been missed before because they were too weak, or too narrow in bandwidth, or fell outside a defined frequency range, or had some other characteristic that caused previous search strategies to miss them. We can search more widely, with greater  subtlety with almost every new effort.

#18    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,211 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

View PostPyridium, on 19 December 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

If intelligent life lived on that planet, they were exterminated by a comet about 700 million years ago, now it is populated with pea brained dinosaurs.
   Maybe so, but be can't assume that this is the only possibility. Tau Ceti is probably about one billion, 300 million years older than our Sun. If planet formation, and the establishment and progress of life happened there as they did here, they've had a 1.3 billion year head start on us. If a comet threatened such a planet 700 million years ago, it might already  have had a civilization advanced enough to deflect a comet. We're already discussing how to do the same with asteroids.

#19    UFO_Monster

UFO_Monster

Psychic Spy

• 2,099 posts

• What looks spooky is not always scary. What looks cute is not always cuddly.

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:26 AM

"Only 12 light years away!"

The article makes it sound like traveling that distance would be a walk in the park.

Posted Image
UFOs aren't always the alien's spacecraft...sometimes they are the aliens.

#20    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

Astronomers have discovered that the closest Sun-like star, Tau Ceti, is orbited by five planets, one of which is in the “habitable range”. If its existence is confirmed, the planet could be the closest potentially life-harboring world to our own.

http://rt.com/news/t...ble-planet-409/

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#21    pitchp

pitchp

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

• "I go when I want to go. To prolong life would be tasteless"
    Albert Einstein

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

12 light years is a long distance, i think man kind should invest in exploring and understanding of wormholes, then long distances hopefully would be a thing of the past

"The truth is out there. We are all searching for it."
   PitchP

#22    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

Hopefully we can explore there some day if they sort out the space program. (Which should be our biggest priority)

I will admit when i first seen this, I thought it was going to say a planet has been discovered that is identical to earth and it's in our solar system. LOL

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#23    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,561 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

View Postpitchp, on 20 December 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

12 light years is a long distance, i think man kind should invest in exploring and understanding of wormholes, then long distances hopefully would be a thing of the past

besides Earth - i think we'll discover life in our solar system on the icy moons. the likes of europa, enceladus, titan etc. - when we discover planets light years away - i cannot wait until we reach a point when we can build a large telescope in space which will be able to focus on these plants and see detail.

Edited by stevewinn, 20 December 2012 - 01:13 PM.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#24    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,211 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 20 December 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

besides Earth - i think we'll discover life in our solar system on the icy moons. the likes of europa, enceladus, titan etc. - when we discover planets light years away - i cannot wait until we reach a point when we can build a large telescope in space which will be able to focus on these plants and see detail.
Supposing that the new planet discovery is confirmed, it may be possible, relatively soon, to observe the atmosphere of of Tau Ceti  e. We could look for the chemical traces that indicate life, perhaps even civilization.

#25    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

Interesting.

#26    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

Finding a very close parallel to earth will allow for the types of comparisons that could provide a profound understanding of how evolution is affected by probabilistic events, such as significant asteroid collisions that alter lifeforms, leading possibly to higher functioning sentient entities. To find even remotely similar societies would, I imagine, pose profound reexamination of ideas such as random evolution vs engineered evolution.

#27    Paranomali

Paranomali

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 80 posts

• “Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

I just wanna fast forward in time to see where any of these discoveries of new 'goldilocks' planets leads too...

#28    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• 1,914 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

Great find i bet there is some kind of life on planet and other planets with a sun.

#29    Ad hoc

Ad hoc

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts

• A man's worth is no greater than his ambitions.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

View Posthighdesert50, on 27 December 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

Finding a very close parallel to earth will allow for the types of comparisons that could provide a profound understanding of how evolution is affected by probabilistic events, such as significant asteroid collisions that alter lifeforms, leading possibly to higher functioning sentient entities. To find even remotely similar societies would, I imagine, pose profound reexamination of ideas such as random evolution vs engineered evolution.

I'm not sure what would be more eerie... to find an empty, Earth like planet... or the remains of a long dead civilization.

In relation to the matter of radio noise... I wonder what the window might be for producing radio noise? Apparently we're slowly becoming quieter now, but I wonder how long that process might go on for... might be a long tail-off. after all, we have computers, satellites, and dancing robots, but we still bang nails into wood using a lump of metal with a flat end, and use a whole bunch of items that go back hundreds of years or more. A civilization might have a quiet hiss for a long time before all it's radio producing technology is phased out.

#30    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

View Postad hoc, on 28 December 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

A civilization might have a quiet hiss for a long time before all it's radio producing technology is phased out.
That is of course possible. However I think there are some safe assumptions that can be made, if we assume that a similar mind set to our own. A civilisation even a few hundred years more advanced than us is likely to have colonised planets within its own solar system, and possibly even begun interstellar travel. Unless they have discovered some form of communication totally unknown to us then there is likely to be considerable communications between the planets/space-ships/star-ships. This will require high powered radio and or laser communications. I think it highly possible that our radio "quietening" is a temporary thing.

Of course the biggest assumption I made their is assuming a similar mind set to our alien. An alien culture may not think at all like us in which case anything is possible.

Assumptions are all we currently have at the moment when it comes to alien life. For example the assumption that life arises easily when the conditions are right is based on the fact that life started very quickly on Earth, appearing around a billion years after the Earth formed. Now if we assume that the Earth is typical of other planets that bodes well for life, it started on Earth almost as soon as the conditions allowed.

However, what if we use the same logic for the chances of advanced civilisations occurring? Well then things don't look so good. After it took 4.6 billion years for a civilisation to arise that could produce anything more technologically advanced than a stick. Life may be common but intelligent life may be rare.

Still with hundreds of billions of planets to chose from it would seem unlikely to me that intelligent life doesn't exist throughout the galaxy, it just seems to me that we may have to look further afield than Tau Ceti.... but I so hope I'm wrong.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users