Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Possible fatty acid detected on Mars

Waspie_Dwarf

Possible fatty acid detected on Mars

A fatty acid might be among organic molecules discovered on Mars by Nasa's Curiosity rover.

However, it's not possible at this stage to determine whether the compound has a biological or non-biological origin.

And contamination could still be responsible for the finding.

The results come from Curiosity's SAM instrument, and were presented at the 46th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference (LPSC) in Texas.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
corrected source name.
  • Like 1

I think the possible "contamination" pretty unlikely after watching the documentary about designing and building the rover.

Edited by OverSword

Pity about the instruments leakage... but, quite intriguing!!

I think the possible "contamination" pretty unlikely after watching the documentary about designing and building the rover.

Unlikely or not if it can't be discounted it has to be considered a possibility. These are highly sensitive pieces of equipment, it doesn't take much to cause contamination.

• Like 1

Will we ever be given the truth of what is discovered on mars, or will we continue to be fed just enough to keep public interest?

• Like 1

Will we ever be given the truth of what is discovered on mars, or will we continue to be fed just enough to keep public interest?

The Great 'Monkeys on Mars' Conspiracy

There exists the distinct possibility that monkeys live on Mars. In the year 2015, it is not possible for scientists to completely rule out the scenario. So, imagine a hypothetical conversation between the monkey-on-Mars believer (we'll call him "Monkeyman") and an astrobiologist.

MONKEYMAN: I believe there are monkeys on Mars.

ASTROBIOLOGIST: There probably aren't.

MONKEYMAN: NASA has not thoroughly investigated this issue. Haven't you seen Planet of the Apes? I think there is a technologically advanced monkey civilization living on Mars. I'm afraid they may be planning to come to Earth someday. Can you prove me wrong?

ASTROBIOLOGIST: We have a lot of photographs of Mars. We haven't seen any monkeys.

MONKEYMAN: Of course you haven't seen any monkeys. They live deep underground. It's a technologically advanced society.

ASTROBIOLOGIST: There is very little reason to believe that life exists on Mars, let alone monkeys. We have sent eight landers to Mars, and we have not detected any signs of life -- plant, animal, or microbial. Besides, there is no liquid water on Mars, and our understanding of biology is such that it seems liquid water is essential to life. Though I wish it wasn't the case, Mars probably never had life on it.

MONKEYMAN: You're assuming too much. We only know about life on Earth. It is possible life elsewhere has evolved not to need water. Besides, these monkeys are so technologically advanced, that they probably could harvest comets for any water they might need.

ASTROBIOLOGIST: A technologically advanced civilization would emit some form of detectable electromagnetic radiation, such as radio and TV waves. If such a civilization existed on Mars, we would have detected the signals by now.

MONKEYMAN: Are you not listening to me? These monkeys are very advanced. They know we're listening to them. So, they have devised a system of communication that is undetectable. Perhaps they use telepathy.

ASTROBIOLOGIST: I think we're losing touch with reality. Every time I provide evidence that you are wrong, you dismiss it and find an excuse to hide the monkeys somewhere else where scientists haven't looked. You are making claims that are essentially unanswerable. That's not how science works. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. So the burden of proof is on you, not NASA.

MONKEYMAN: Look, I'm just asking questions. If there aren't any monkeys on Mars, then all NASA needs to do is show me the evidence. Where's the evidence?

ASTROBIOLOGIST: I just gave it to you.

MONKEYMAN: That proves nothing. Why aren't you being honest? What are you hiding? Who's paying you? You're just a shill. You're a disgusting traitor to humanity.

ASTROBIOLOGIST: *Blank stare*

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2015/02/the_great_monkeys_on_mars_conspiracy.html

:mellow:

• Like 1

when will everyone accept that mars is currently hosting life underneath where water still exists?

dn10740-1_627.jpg

Edited by qxcontinuum

Say what?

Say what?

I agree someone should think to drill and look lower like the way they are thinking to look under the surface of Europa. Sure it isn't as simple as drilling ice but I have also seen Google mars pics of huge circular sinkholes they were really intriguing personally I can't see why nobody seemed interested in checking out that.

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 1

I agree someone should think to drill and look lower like the way they are thinking to look under the surface of Europa. Sure it isn't as simple as drilling ice but I have also seen Google mars pics of huge circular sinkholes they were really intriguing personally I can't see why nobody seemed interested in checking out that.

Untill we have feet on the ground its always going to be small robots scratching around loose dust

NASA, believe it or not, is deliberately avoiding choosing sites to explore with any possibility of encountering liquid water because of the fear of such contamination WD refers to.

• Like 1

Never A Straight Answer

Never A Straight Answer

You're like the monkeyman, no matter what anyone says you stick to the conspiracy theory, because it is easier than doing real research. Scientist are the last people to trust with a secret, because as soon as all the data is in they want to be the first to publish.

You're like the monkeyman, no matter what anyone says you stick to the conspiracy theory, because it is easier than doing real research. Scientist are the last people to trust with a secret, because as soon as all the data is in they want to be the first to publish.

History has proven that civilisation was built on secrets and deception! Not truths and openness! So why would things be any different today??

AS in other other instances of organic compounds found on Mars, the BIG question-- living or non-living source? -- will probably be settled if or when they can assay the carbon isotopes in the molecule. AN unusual abundance of the heavier carbon 13, favored by the metabolism of living things, over the lighter carbon 12, would be a strong indication of life.

All these maybe's are pointing to a probably. There was/is life there. Now it's time to get some folks up there to poke around. When is the proposed manned mission? I remeber G. Bush had a 2020 proposal but I thought Obama nixed it. No?

What are the odds of a fatty acid sticking around for even a couple decades near the surface of Mars?

Is this the first time this instrument has been used? If not then why didn't it give "false positives" before now? Is the rover starting to break down so the contaminated areas are being exposed to the atmosphere?

EDIT: The article says they have a known leak, but then shouldn't they have a "known" chemical peak?

Edited by DieChecker