Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hesitant to post paranormal experiences...

Thozzman

I was wondering.....How many people here have experienced paranormal or unexplained phenomena, but refuse to post it due to potential ridicule, or fear of being labeled a nut or a hoaxer? I'm curious to know how much information we're missing out on due to this. Thanks. :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mimilovergyrl

• Radian

• Please Explain

• LadyHay

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering.....How many people here have experienced paranormal or unexplained phenomena, but refuse to post it due to potential ridicule, or fear of being labeled a nut or a hoaxer? I'm curious to know how much information we're missing out on due to this. Thanks. :)

well... now that you bring that upp... hehe =) i was just thinking about that tonight.... because case never closed "really" on my thread... i was wondering..."if" it was really a ghost....if I saw "her" or whatever again then i would deffinatly not come heer or to any other forum to tell these people... because people are just rude!! Im sure hundreds of people read these threads wanting to post and then stop becasue they dont want to be ridiculed(spelling?) or told they are liers....IMO...i of course didnt learn that untill i posted.....but doesnt bother me..=) dont need others aproval to live my life =)..ok i think thats it.....maybe more later.. :P

The way I see it, just post it, at the worst you will be called a nut case and, since you know better, what does that matter? Gawd knows I get that enough around here, but it's just a small handful that do that. Mostly just questions because we are honestly curious and/or looking at all possible explanations.

If there's a need to post my stories i'll just post it without getting scared of ridicules or whatever labels they want to put on me.

For me...this is only a harmless screen.

well... now that you bring that upp... hehe =) i was just thinking about that tonight.... because case never closed "really" on my thread... i was wondering..."if" it was really a ghost....if I saw "her" or whatever again then i would deffinatly not come heer or to any other forum to tell these people... because people are just rude!! Im sure hundreds of people read these threads wanting to post and then stop becasue they dont want to be ridiculed(spelling?) or told they are liers....IMO...i of course didnt learn that untill i posted.....but doesnt bother me..=) dont need others aproval to live my life =)..ok i think thats it.....maybe more later.. :P

Ahh yes your notorious "blue robe" thread, ;)

Well, for what it's worth, I for one never thought you posted your pic to deliberately hoax or mislead anyone. It's sad that people can't discuss this topic maturely, especially since this forum was made for that purpose.

Even if there was a ounce of truth to the majority of the posts here (and I believe there is), the potential information would be some of the most important ever known to mankind.

I've had several paranormal experiences that have occurred during my life, but would never post them on this or any other forum on the Internet because being called a liar, or a hoaxer is something that has always made me very angry, and I have enough stress in my daily life just trying to deal with people while trying to keep a roof over my head and food on the table. I guess I take the subject seriously.

Edited by Thozzman

Well, for what it's worth, I for one never thought you posted your pic to deliberately hoax or mislead anyone. It's sad that people can't discuss this topic maturely, especially since this forum was made for that purpose.

Even if there was a ounce of truth to the majority of the posts here (and I believe there is), the potential information would be some of the most important ever known to mankind.

I've had several paranormal experiences that have occurred during my life, but would never post them on this or any other forum on the Internet because being called a liar, or a hoaxer is something that has always made me very angry, and I have enough stress in my daily life just trying to deal with people while trying to keep a roof over my head and food on the table.

amen!

The way I see it, just post it, at the worst you will be called a nut case and, since you know better, what does that matter? Gawd knows I get that enough around here, but it's just a small handful that do that. Mostly just questions because we are honestly curious and/or looking at all possible explanations.

sorry for the double posting here... havnt quite gotten down the quote thing..... but.. i think this is not really refering to the people that are curious and or trying to find explanation....other people on the forum asume hoaxes and asume liers out of poeple before even reading past the first couple posts of a thread. peopl looking for explanations wont asume liers out of people..they will simply "look" for all possible explanations. what is the world coming to if we are all really jsut a bunch of liers?

Unfortunately, this isn't one of the safer places to "bare all". But even saying that, there is little tolerance for silly claims in here. I'm not sure who gets to decide that rule, as everyone seems to have their own opinion about claims being silly or not.

Anyway, everyone else has pretty much summed it up.

I have...and not only will you be ridiculed; you'll be threatened with your posting priveleges....

Hmmm.

The way I see it is that there are 6 main types of posters on forums such as this:

(1) The witness. They have experienced something they cannot explain. They have sought solutions on their own and found none that were satisfactory, and were left puzzled. So they come on here to share and enquire about what others think about their experience in order to try and deal with it or explain it.

(2) The gullible. They have experienced something, but have taken no steps to explore it rationally and sensibly. They post their experience and want others to believe it's paranormal. Sometimes they get quite upset whenever anyone disagrees. Not to be ageist, but it tends to be the younger forum members.

(3) The hoaxer. They create a story (or photo) and post it just so they can get attention. Some of the photos and stories are quite entertaining, but serve to undermine the real progression of the understanding of paranormal phenomena.

(4) The debunker. They have an interest in paranormal things but nobody's experience is good enough for them, so they jump into threads and find fault with or poke holes in the stories/photos.

(5) The analyst. They take each story in turn and apply common sense and a bit of thought to it. If it seems more exploration of possible solutions is required, they say so; if they think it's a credible story, they say so.

(6) The blinkered. They believe every single thing that people post and jump on the band wagon.

There are a few more, but I think six is kinda enough.

:D

Also, I would like to defend this forum. I think there is a good mix of all of the above here. And I would urge anyone with an experience to post it. Share it. No-one really knows who anyone else is, so what's the harm? If someone doesn't appreciate your posting, forget about it.

Edited by Loonboy

Well, I don't post often, ( I lost all my favs and it took me ages to find this again!) but occasionally will post a picture if I can't find an explanation for it.

I report our nights out, have done once or twice here I think, but mainly on our website.

I don't give a hoot what people think of me! I am labelled 'mad' 'crazy' or jsut ridiculous, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

As long as people don't insult and answer without abuse, this is an interesting place to be.

It is good to read other people's experiences regardless of whether everyone believes them or not :)

being a newbie here, i felt i should post my sightings and start off as i mean to go on :innocent: we live in a semi detatched house, we have lived there for 12 yrs now, over the last 6 or 7 yrs we have started noticing little things around the house. it started with a strange fruit and vegtable smell in the back room which i converted into a dining room, the smell only lasted a couple of weeks and it only eminated from the centre of the room? it was not a rotten smell but a fresh smell, it was gone as quickly as it came. i always had a feeling our house had something more than bricks and mortar to it, the house was built just after the 2nd world war, the land is old farming land. recently i have seen a male figure walking past the kitchen door window (which is on the side of our house) it's a passage way to the front of the house and leads down into the garden, everytime i see the figure i rush to the door and open it, but theres never anything there? our jack russell goes mental at the wall in the dining room, the wall is the one that segregates the dining room from the kitchen, make of that what you will. my wife as seen the figure to, but she never talks about it as she struggles to come to terms with it, i get a tingle every time it happens, (which is not that often) but when it does, i have to admit i do jump a little, lol.

ok - you can all go mad at me now ;)

Edited by belial

I had an interesting experience when I was 12 (I think, :P ). But since it happened a long time ago I don't feel like posting it since I don't think a good disscusion would follow it. I have no proof for what I saw either.

I was with a friend and we both ran when we saw it. About 3 years ago I ran into that same friend (we've known eachother since 1st grade) and I asked her if she remembers that event or was it just a figment of my imagination. She confirmed it again.

She isn't interested in paranormal phenomena and that's the only thing that happened to her as far as I know.

I don't fear ridicule I just don't think the experience would be debatable. I wouldn't know how to explain it either. :blink:

I believe the vast majority of people in their lifetimes will experience unexplained phenomena and paranormal incidents and the majority of those people will not acknowledge what has happened or will be too frightened to question it. Sort of like being in denial, "if I ignore it, it may go away and I may never have to admit that something so irrational or unexplainable has happened and I can carry on blindly".

I also believe that if people did list all the things that had happened to them, the list would be virtually endless with some of the most fascinating and gobsmacking events.

Personally, I usually only post my own experiences if I am, say, answering a posting that can include something similar that had happened to me.

I agree though, it would be, I think, amazing if people could post without fear of ridicule, unfortunately there are the odd people out there who wouldn't believe the sun rose each morning let alone some other stuff lol. Mind you, they maybe, as I said earlier, in denial :devil:

I think this is one of the best forums on the net. Good place to come to get balanced feedback as the posters views are so diverse. Going by loonboys list I would put myself as an analyst type poster. To me each experience/account is unique and I love helping people get to the bottom of their experience, I can help where it's needed or at the very least help the person understand what they experienced a bit better.

Sometimes an experience will jump out at me as being totally paranormal/spiritual other times it's not so clear and it's only common sense to work through it step by step to eliminate anything that could other wise explain something. This has nothing to do with not believing someone or thinking of them as a liar. It's just being objective....If someone is made to feel like this because of questions then that is just unfortunate.

The poster also has to take responsibility for how they present an account and the details they include or don't include. It's perfectly normal that people forget certain details or didn't think something was worth mentioning when infact it could be the most significant clue or point. If he/she feels defensive or frustrated for being questioned then they should learn to be more patient. The questioning is to help, not to ridicule.

The real motive behind the questioner is for getting that feel for what's going on, getting as much of the picture as possible and the only way to do that is to ask questions and work thru the experience step by step.

I'm sure hundreds of people read these threads wanting to post and then stop because they don't want to be ridiculed(spelling?) or told they are liers....IMO...i of course didn't learn that until i posted..

I don't agree with you on that. If that was really the case then there wouldn't be lots of new threads/experiences posted each day. I realize you feel you have been negatively treated here, but please don't paint us all with the same brush, your disagreements with people only concern a few, not all of us. These few certainly do not reflect the majority here. This place is very very diverse.

Edited by Anvil

I have had what you could call paranormal experiences, but I just don't feel they are something that I have to talk aboutl. It has nothing to do with being ridiculed. If I couldn't take that in life, I'd probably be dead already.

I think its wise not to post your experiences if you know that you will probably react badly to criticism. :)

I have to say, you all seem like very rational, balanced people around here. I've haunted (no pun intended) other forum's where you're either instantly branded as insane, or everyone believes you and scares you half to death with horror storys about what's to come next. I have to say, Mimi, the blue robe thread was awesome ^_^

Saying that, I've yet to post my experiences on here, purely because as of yet, I have no evidence. They all happened when I was young(er), about 6/7 years back in my parents house. Next time I'm there I plan on getting some form of proof.

Otherwise, I know I will be called insane. ^_^

I've had several paranormal experiences that have occurred during my life, but would never post them on this or any other forum on the Internet because being called a liar, or a hoaxer is something that has always made me very angry, and I have enough stress in my daily life just trying to deal with people while trying to keep a roof over my head and food on the table. I guess I take the subject seriously.

I can understand why you wouldn't post them. But I would still love to read them. If you get a few hits where someone calls you a liar or claims it is a hoax, no big deal... because it is within you to know what you experienced was a truth for you. If you can summon the courage to look past what you fear, my bet is people that respect your experiences will way overshadow the few that challenge them. When I can share my experiences I get a sense of excitement knowing that something so profound that I experienced was being shared. I get picked on (in a loving way) from friends and family, and it makes me smile. Maybe if you shared your experiences you would release some of your stressers. Just a thought. Anyways, no one can convince you to share... only you can chose too. When you do... know that there will be people with open minds ready to believe you. Just my thoughts on it.

Edited by mariola

Hmmm.

The way I see it is that there are 6 main types of posters on forums such as this:

Also, I would like to defend this forum. I think there is a good mix of all of the above here. And I would urge anyone with an experience to post it. Share it. No-one really knows who anyone else is, so what's the harm? If someone doesn't appreciate your posting, forget about it.

Nicely said and I agree with your depiction of main posters and the fact that there IS a good mix.

I think we can learn from each other. Separate the wheat from the chaff, take what you need or want from each post and share.

Folks, I don't mean to be rude here but, to let just a bit of reality intrude upon this...If y'all can't post relatively fearlessly here in this forum, where you can basically be nearly as anonymous as you choose to be, where in the world are you ever going to be able to share your experiences? I mean, come on. Nobody here has to know you if you are new. Even if you are a regular, it's doubtful that anybody knows much about you at all anyway. Who really cares if some stranger (who may just be a troll anyway) thinks you are mental? There are a lot of so-called experts here and also a lot of psuedo science. There is certainly a lot that everybody can learn-so teach. I DO think there is a lot of impressive analysis from people who are not trained scientists. But to think that there is any certain method or regularity to approach, is folly. There is as much organization here as there is and that's that. As I say, there is a lot of impressive amateur work that goes on, but for anybody here to laugh at anybody else's experience, with the exception of the most blatant fakery, is ignorance. So I would encourage posting on. You will never find a less threatening venue.

I don't agree with you on that. If that was really the case then there wouldn't be lots of new threads/experiences posted each day. I realize you feel you have been negatively treated here, but please don't paint us all with the same brush, your disagreements with people only concern a few, not all of us. These few certainly do not reflect the majority here. This place is very very diverse.

hey hey...=) I wouldnt dare paint you all with the same brush =) ive met some very sincere and honest people here. id never do that.

and the fact that people ridiculed my post bothers me none. everyone has there own opinion, who am i to tell them they are wrong. everytime someone put me down, i dare not fight back...i just explain myself a lil bit more. there were only a few rude comments in my thread, but most just opinions...sorry should have expressed my self fully in the post...=)

You will never find a less threatening venue.

I respectfully disagree. I take it that you are coming at it from an anonymity-point-of-view. Being anonymous, one should feel safer posting their experiences. However, this is still a community; there are friends, there are regulars, and you do get to know people on some level. When someone posts their experiences and are bashed for it, it becomes a non-safe environment and the poster feels like an outsider.

I actually do run a safer environment for such a cause on another website. Tighter security *hehe*. It is a smaller community, but it seems there are less variety of the types that Loonboy touched on.

I like what you said that there is a lot of impressive amateur work going on. This is why we have to just add to conversations when we have something worthwhile to add and simply move on when we dont.

and the fact that people ridiculed my post bothers me none.

That's good...and you survived the first test.

Wait for the second coming. lol

know what? some people got a personal frustration in life and they brought it here.

It does not matter where you go or what you do in life you are not going to please everyone. You cannot go thru life worrying that everyone is going to like/agree with everything you say or do. I understand that no one wants to be called a liar or ridiculed. But the ones that do this are not your next door neighbors, ignore them. You do not have to interact with them to be on thid forum. Don't even aknowledge them. If you have an expierence you need help with, then post it. Take the good advice you get from most of the members here and run with it, leave all the bad. If you get a troll or you don' t like what is being said, skip that post. They cannot have an effect on your life unless you let them and that is exactly what they are counting on.

The way I look at it, there are rude people everywhere... it's best just to ignore them.