Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Assassination attempt on Live-TV

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Poltergeist

• 3,225 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

For a mob scene, they surely had some nice business suits.   Weird. :hmm:  I don't know much about Bulgarian politics, though.

I guess the "lone gunman" vs. "massive conspiracy" theories will emerge soon.

Edited by little_dreamer, 22 January 2013 - 07:36 PM.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#32    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,153 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

View PostWoIverine, on 22 January 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

Why didn't the assassin use another method? I mean...obviously, if your face is on tv, there's no way you'll escape. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Why would he want to spend the remainder of his life locked up, or worse?

Because he believes when his political option comes to power not only he will be released, but also will have status of national hero.
He wanted his face on TV.

The desired outcome of the assassination probably was political and open ethnic conflict, since the politician that was almost the victim of assassination is Turk, while – I’m making a wild guess – the would-be-assassin is probably Bulgarian with not so democratic convictions.

Another trapdoor to ethnically cleansed Hell:
  http://en.wikipedia....rks_in_Bulgaria

Posted Image

The 5 millionth post was Junior Chubb's fault :D
Laurent did nothing, but I had to mention him too.

#33    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,709 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 22 January 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

Because he believes when his political option comes to power not only he will be released, but also will have status of national hero.
He wanted his face on TV.

The desired outcome of the assassination probably was political and open ethnic conflict, since the politician that was almost the victim of assassination is Turk, while – I’m making a wild guess – the would-be-assassin is probably Bulgarian with not so democratic convictions.

Another trapdoor to ethnically cleansed Hell:
  http://en.wikipedia....rks_in_Bulgaria

I see. I think I may have seen one too many ninja movies, I guess.  :ph34r:

Edited by WoIverine, 22 January 2013 - 08:31 PM.

#34    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,032 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

First off... His butt-whoppin' wasn't as bad as it appeared - he was able to walk after it (sort of), and he was only bleeding from the nose - not missing teeth, or doubled over grabbing his man parts, nor was he holding his sides like his ribs were broken...
So in effect, it looks like some bruising but nothing too bad... heck my sisters use to do worse to each other and to me - and we actually liked each other (for the most part)!

As to why he chose this method of (literally) in your face execution... He most likely saw himself as a "martyr" to some cause or other, and probably actually wanted to die in the attempt (or at least thought he did)... Weird right?

#35    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,153 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

View PostWoIverine, on 22 January 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

I see. I think I may have seen one too many ninja movies, I guess.  :ph34r:

Well, sane people certainly think the way you do, not like Bulgarian Gavrilo (I’m referring to Gavrilo Princip who shot Archduke Ferdinand and gave an excuse for the start of WWI), but there he is, doing his part in making things impossible.

He obviously didn’t care for negative publicity his party will get after his name and background leak out. Such act has only one aim: to destabilize the whole scene and preferably instigate violence.

It is possible, in my opinion, that the whole scene was staged, in order to create victimized image for the almost shot politician, and it’s not a problem to find people willing to receive few kicks in order to make it all look more realistic, but personally I doubt that was the case.
There are plenty of people in that corner of the world who would do even stupider things to become  saviours of their nation.
19th century, alive and well in Balkans. Making big steps towards 1914... acidhead was right, this stinks of WWI. Though I was claiming for last 10 years these are the 1930s rewinding again, this particular lunacy is so WWI. Time will tell.

Edit: I forgot to add I’m not too familiar with Bulgarian politics, but I guess in certain circles that publicity won’t be negative at all.

Edited by Helen of Annoy, 22 January 2013 - 09:09 PM.

Posted Image

#36    acute

acute

The Hedgeless Hoglet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

I know nothing about Bulgarian politics, but this could easily be a publicity stunt by the gunman, or by the opposition party itself.

On a lighter note.....
I like the final comment after the article:

In the USA, the audience would have all ducked under their seats and the building would have "Gone into Lockdown" for the next two days. There would have been a massive standoff (with pizzas delivered), with a sniper finally braining the guy. Then, grief counselors would have been called in, followed by FBI interrogations of all witnesses, and finally, here come the lawyers. It would be in the news for months, someone would have to "Go on Oprah" and in a few months would be a book about the event: "The Sofia Conference Event: The Untold Story."
- health1au, New York, United States, 21/1/2013 06:14

#37    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,382 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

It was just a gas pistol.   And it wasn't an assassination attempt, it was just a political statement.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#38    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

View Postacute alan, on 29 January 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

I know nothing about Bulgarian politics, but this could easily be a publicity stunt by the gunman, or by the opposition party itself.

On a lighter note.....
I like the final comment after the article:

In the USA, the audience would have all ducked under their seats and the building would have "Gone into Lockdown" for the next two days. There would have been a massive standoff (with pizzas delivered), with a sniper finally braining the guy. Then, grief counselors would have been called in, followed by FBI interrogations of all witnesses, and finally, here come the lawyers. It would be in the news for months, someone would have to "Go on Oprah" and in a few months would be a book about the event: "The Sofia Conference Event: The Untold Story."
- health1au, New York, United States, 21/1/2013 06:14

You got it down to the T, thinking like I am thinking.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#39    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,153 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

View PostYamato, on 29 January 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

It was just a gas pistol.   And it wasn't an assassination attempt, it was just a political statement.

Once upon a time it was just a gas pistol on a ruling party rally in Croatia, then it was just an uppercut in the head of opposition politician on stage, but both times the goal was achieved: the atmosphere of fear.
Whether it’s real or fake assassination, whether it was meant to scare the opponents or homogenize your side, the resulting fear stops sane people from participating in political life of their country.
And where you have sane majority scared into silence, there you soon have various extremists running the show undisturbed.

Therefore screw the *insert euphemism for idiot* who makes statements with pistol pointed at someone’s face, on stage.

Posted Image

#40    Amalthe

Amalthe

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

Wouldn't it be cool if that Bulgarian politician during his next conference declares that this was a Divine Intervention, but after much consideration, he decides he is leaving politics and just going to walk the earth.
  "What'cha mean walk the Earth?"
"You know, walk the earth, meet people... get into adventures. Like Caine from "Kung Fu." :)

Edited by Amalthe, 29 January 2013 - 03:41 PM.

#41    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,382 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 29 January 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Once upon a time it was just a gas pistol on a ruling party rally in Croatia, then it was just an uppercut in the head of opposition politician on stage, but both times the goal was achieved: the atmosphere of fear.
Whether it’s real or fake assassination, whether it was meant to scare the opponents or homogenize your side, the resulting fear stops sane people from participating in political life of their country.
And where you have sane majority scared into silence, there you soon have various extremists running the show undisturbed.

Therefore screw the *insert euphemism for idiot* who makes statements with pistol pointed at someone’s face, on stage.
It was definitely an act of terrorism, yes.   But I know nothing of these politics or the motive of why this man would have done such a thing.  What I do know is that almost to a man, every politician is hiding behind some symbol or bureau of legitimacy where much greater acts of terrorism are practiced with impunity.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#42    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,153 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

View PostYamato, on 29 January 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

It was definitely an act of terrorism, yes.   But I know nothing of these politics or the motive of why this man would have done such a thing.  What I do know is that almost to a man, every politician is hiding behind some symbol or bureau of legitimacy where much greater acts of terrorism are practiced with impunity.

Generally speaking, yes.
More specifically, Bulgarian Turk got pistol (gas or real) in the face. Since Ottoman empire is long gone, the odds are that particular politician is not in the position to practice any terrorism on Bulgarian Bulgarians.
Could be publicity stunt, but if it was for real, then the Wiki article I gave link to few posts up is sadly about to grow. In ugly direction.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users