Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How do you Think the World will end?

Sea Wolf

Seemed like the appropriate section.

What is your idea of the apocalypse? Biblical rapture? Space debris or meteorites? Nuclear holocaust? Disease? Famine?

My guess is nuclear war. Or whatever more diabolical weapon we create in the future years.

• Like 1

The world itself ending?.. That's easy... Eventually the sun will grow in size until it engulfs the Earth and burns it to a cinder..,

Life on Earth ending though?... Too many different ways it could happen:

Another planet crashing into Earth (like the one that is thought to have created the moon)

Solar radiation ( a flare hitting us and sterilizing all life)

Earth being thrown out of orbit and flung out deep into space (most likely by a rogue planet passing)

A nearby giant star going supernova and the radiation washing over us and sterilizing the planet

etc...

If you mean just humans...

All of the above and/or:

Some super lethal disease,

an asteroid strike

some genetic glitch in our makeup causing sterilization of males (some one has already theorized this)

Resource depletion, and mass starvation, disease following...

total nuclear war (of all the above this has the best chance of some human's surviving - though it would not be an easy life)...

and on...

• Like 5

The world itself...with a whimper not a bang. Humanity however, is a whole other story. As a violent species our end will likely be violent unless we radically change in the next 100 odd years

• Like 2

I don't believe that our civilization will end in one complete catasthrophic event. It will probably take a few thousand years. If we're not able to adapt quickly enough or something like climate change outpaces us, it may shorten the timeframe.

Even though T.S. Eliot wasn't referring directly to the end of the world, he said, "This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a whimper."

• Like 1

according to the bible we will survive a near earth shattering disaster, only to be threatened by a man who will claim to be god. this man will have one thing going to prove he is. peace for four years in the middle east between the arabs and isreal. he won't be god and in the end will try to destroy most life on earth. those who won't worship him.

aftyer the desaster the jewish temple will be rebuilt

Edited by danielost
  • Like 1

I don't believe that our civilization will end in one complete catasthrophic event. It will probably take a few thousand years. If we're not able to adapt quickly enough or something like climate change outpaces us, it may shorten the timeframe.

Even though T.S. Eliot wasn't referring directly to the end of the world, he said, "This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a whimper."

This is my thought as well. Some ecological disaster will decimate humanity. We won't be able to adapt or will be too stubborn and try to cling to our old ways. Roaming convoys, nuclear wastelands. Pretty much any 80s post apocalyptic movie.

At the very end, it will probably be a virus that does in the last man. (Or woman)

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

My own opinion:

I just see massive wars and uncontrolled violence as eventually wiping humans out. People dying off not just from violence directly but from the indirect results of the ensuing chaos.

I see our world as continuing to get easier for those who spread violence and seek power and control to get funding, weapons, manpower, training and expertise. From a local to a more global level.

No area is isolated or cut off.

Will it take a long time? I'd guess, yes. But nukes could shorten that considerably.

Our Earth though will live on and so some animals (and definitely ants!). And maybe sometime in the far distant future another biological life form will inhabit it with the tech to clean it up and care for it properly.

An all consuming super swarm of genetically modified chihuahuas will strip the earth bare under the harsh weigh of their infinitely ravenous maws.

Or human civilization? Disease, war, famine, political unrest as well as rising cost of living and proliferation of vacant minded entertainment.

Edited by bubblykiss
  • Like 5

"The proliferation of vacant minded entertainment." Thanks bubblykiss, I'm sure that will be a factor. I once wrote a little story about humanity being in bad shape, and scientists finally invented time machines so that a select few could go back in time and correct all the societal mistakes that were made that had caused the dismal state of human society in the present.

The protagonist was reporting in his journal what was happening at the moment the time travelers were to return, and therefore all the past errors would have been rectified. The story ends here, so we don't know what happened.

Since there was no further journal entry, it is assumed the plan failed in some way. In other words, we screwed everything up again. I think we all will continue to screw everything up until the final screw-up and the final journal entry.

• Like 1

I think even a limited nuke exchange wouldn't wipe out humans.

The most likely way humans will get wiped out, IMHO, is a tailor made disease. One with a fast onset time, extremely infectious, and airborne, and 100% fatal. I think the 100% fatal part will be hardest to come by. Some Joe will turn out to survive the disease and then humanity starts all over again. So, the greater the fatality of the disease, the more chance we'll be wiped out.

Another good guess would be Robots. I think once computers can reason and have consciousness, and able to control robots, it will only be a matter of time before some computer declares war on humanity and eventually succeeds.

An all consuming super swarm of genetically modified chihuahuas will strip the earth bare under the harsh weigh of their infinitely ravenous maws.

I thought the doomsday dog breed was pit bulls? :cat:

Well, a lot of "entrepreneurs" are putting the word "smart" onto everything. Smartphone,smartwatch,smartbulb,smartcouch,smartpillow,smartsmart. Terrorists will figure out how to exploit these "smart" ideas to harm people. This will escalate to massive deaths, leading governments around the world blaming other governments and/or militant organizations. Thus, leading to ugly wars which will degrade mankind. In the near end, very few humans survive. But some idiot decided to create a "smart" weapon during the wars and that "smart" weapon will kill the surviving humans.

This is my prediction. Pretty far-fetch huh?

What is your idea of the apocalypse? Biblical rapture? Space debris or meteorites? Nuclear holocaust? Disease? Famine?

My guess is nuclear war. Or whatever more diabolical weapon we create in the future years.

Do you mean how will the earth end? It will be melted and dissolved into the sun.

Do you mean how will human life end? Probably through an ecosystem collapse.

Doug

Well, a lot of "entrepreneurs" are putting the word "smart" onto everything. Smartphone,smartwatch,smartbulb,smartcouch,smartpillow,smartsmart. Terrorists will figure out how to exploit these "smart" ideas to harm people. This will escalate to massive deaths, leading governments around the world blaming other governments and/or militant organizations. Thus, leading to ugly wars which will degrade mankind. In the near end, very few humans survive. But some idiot decided to create a "smart" weapon during the wars and that "smart" weapon will kill the surviving humans.

This is my prediction. Pretty far-fetch huh?

Actually that sounds pretty smart. :whistle:

Well the Planet will end as collateral damage to the Sun ending. Our civilization will likely end kicking and screaming.

Outside of bible prophecy I don't think it will end. But currently the most likely way will be through nukes. Even if the threat seems remote at the moment, any number of catastrophic events can serve as the trigger that can lead to war. An economic collapse for example, or a severe pandemic that leads to economic collapse, can easily lead to nuclear war.

My understanding of scripture is that our planet lives on indefinitely. The current age of human control of this planet ends with horrific wars which we allow to happen because we cannot control our impulses toward hatred. The final 7 years will come on the heels of a great war - possibly a limited nuclear war. A leader will arise who seems to have all the answers and he'll even broker or at least enforce an existing agreement of peace between the greatest enemies on the planet - Jews and Arabs. 42 months after the treaty is signed he will break it and attempt to eradicate all who will not worship HIM as god. Modern technology will make it possible for him to do a damned fine job of murdering millions. During the last 3.5 years war and it's residual effects like famine and disease will kill nearly 2/3 of all life on the planet. Today's population is about 6 billion I think. WWII saw about 60 million dead. This war and aftermath will see 4 THOUSAND MILLION dead. But the survivors will have learned the lesson and just to be sure, the Creator will stay on to rule and reign. Interestingly, the scripture says even though total peace and prosperity will abound on the planet for 1000 years, many who are born during that time will rebel and revolt when Satan is loosed from his prison. He will be given free reign to deceive the millions again and they will listen in massive numbers. It seems humanity will always have a wayward need to rebel...

• Like 1

My understanding of scripture is that our planet lives on indefinitely. The current age of human control of this planet ends with horrific wars which we allow to happen because we cannot control our impulses toward hatred. The final 7 years will come on the heels of a great war - possibly a limited nuclear war. A leader will arise who seems to have all the answers and he'll even broker or at least enforce an existing agreement of peace between the greatest enemies on the planet - Jews and Arabs. 42 months after the treaty is signed he will break it and attempt to eradicate all who will not worship HIM as god. Modern technology will make it possible for him to do a damned fine job of murdering millions. During the last 3.5 years war and it's residual effects like famine and disease will kill nearly 2/3 of all life on the planet. Today's population is about 6 billion I think. WWII saw about 60 million dead. This war and aftermath will see 4 THOUSAND MILLION dead. But the survivors will have learned the lesson and just to be sure, the Creator will stay on to rule and reign. Interestingly, the scripture says even though total peace and prosperity will abound on the planet for 1000 years, many who are born during that time will rebel and revolt when Satan is loosed from his prison. He will be given free reign to deceive the millions again and they will listen in massive numbers. It seems humanity will always have a wayward need to rebel...

the final war actually comes at the end of the thousand years of peace. after christ ascends the throne.

that means some of thopse whom god saves will turn their backs on him in the last war.

Edited by danielost

ahem

“In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulu waits dreaming”

since we're quoting scriptures, and all.

• Like 2

...Another good guess would be Robots. I think once computers can reason and have consciousness, and able to control robots, it will only be a matter of time before some computer declares war on humanity and eventually succeeds.

Remind me. Where do you work again?

• Like 1

the fact that we always go from "intelligent robots might someday exist!" to "and they'll murder us all" leaves me depressed. and i think it says more about people than it does about any potential intelligent robots.

Asteroid will be my guess, a Natural disaster - remember Asteroid 2008 TC3. by the time it was detected it was on a collision course with Earth and time to impact. 19 hours. It impacted in the Sudan. They say an Asteroid that could end life on earth, of similar size of that which killed the Dinosaurs' could come as close to earth as two to three weeks away from impact before being detected. at this stage, its too late. :w00t:

• Like 1

Nah nah nah, ya'll got it wrong, it will be the Borg mate, the Borge will assimilate us all......

• Like 1

Posted Yesterday, 10:50 PM

snapback.pngand then, on 12 October 2014 - 10:35 PM, said:

the final war actually comes at the end of the thousand years of peace. after christ ascends the throne.

that means some of thopse whom god saves will turn their backs on him in the last war.

Y'all know it isn't literal, right?

You should examine your assumptions.

Having said that, I can forsee a scenario that leads to societal collapse similar to what is mentioned in John's book--

With the Ebola epidemic and the ensuing paranoia, it's easy enough to envision a world where the government decides who can "buy and sell" versus who is excluded. This is akin to being "marked" as a marketplace participant in an approved sense, which could be something as simple as having been vaccinated or not and there are many who could or would perceive such a mandate as the "mark of the beast" where the government to impose such measures.

Happening now even.