Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Do atheists get a hard time?

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

#31    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,554 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

double post

Edited by markdohle, 07 October 2012 - 02:01 PM.

#32    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 14,880 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:32 AM

View Postmarkdohle, on 07 October 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

If what you say is true, then you are in communication with just another life form, though more powerful and intelligent, however not God by a long stretch.  You are saying creation preceded God, so God was created by creation????  Backwards I believe.

NO I am defining the god I know and love. As far as i know, there is no creator god who created the universe. That is a physical impossibility.

I am not a believer in god nor a constructor of a conceptual/ metaphysical/ theological idea of god. I know an entity that acts like god and has the power of god, who lives within me and all about me. It fits the description given by humans through out human history, of god.  A real, sympathetic  caring personal, involved and powerful god is a lot more useful than the most omniprescent omniscient and omnipotent god which only exists as a mental construct of people as a belief based on faith.

Such gods do have constructive purposes, but not for me A real god is of course "just another life form" . What else, in reality, could it be. Even a god with the power of creation is onlypossible as another evolved entity. In a few centuries humans will have the knowledge and the power to do all the things attributed to the god of the bible, old and new testament.

Edited by Mr Walker, 14 October 2012 - 01:43 AM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#33    Stubbly_Dooright

Stubbly_Dooright

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

• Take off your clothes
    Take off everything you are
    Take off your heart
    Get funky on the dance floor
    (FiveForFight-PoliceMan'sXmasParty)

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

You know, I think the main point of the OP's thread is that, the act of Christians denouncing UFOist and ghost's experiencers claims is hyporcritical. I think one poster's point is a good answer, where it may seem to theist's point of view of their attacks are right since they are higher in numbers than to the UFOists and ghost enthusiests. (in my feeling, there might be more people with experiences with UFOs and Ghost's encounters from what I have read and heard, and more from theists who haven't realized the experiences for what they are. That can also be said of religious experiences being regarded for something else from non-theist.)
I think it does seem actions are done more from more in numbers, which of course, doesn't make it right. I have noticed in the past, when I was an Atheist for a small time or was percieved as one, the amount of denouncing and attacks and lectures toward me. I grew up secular, so I never had an orthadoxed set of beliefs or life growing up, yet I have my own set of very strong beliefs that have come from life experiences. When I explain I am not an Atheist, yet not a Christian, Muslim, Morman, etc, yet I name my own spiritual belief system, I get more of an tolerant acceptance and we agree on how our lives benefit from our individual belief systems. Which gives me a second reason I think that UFOist and Ghost enthusiests get villified, because they are misunderstood. Again, that is not acceptable and again I find that hypocritical. In other words, a very good point on the OP for pointing this out.

Posted Image

#34    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,194 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:27 AM

View Postmarkdohle, on 07 October 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

We all have the same frustrations my friend.  I just ignore village atheist, let them rant, the way I do people from Westboro Baptist church.

Peace
Mark

If you lived over here, it would never be the atheists you would hear rant at you.. no.. It would be the protestants that will rant and rave  at you for being catholic...   And vice versa of course... Sometimes, Christians can be their own worst enemy..

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#35    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,349 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

I am not an atheist,I have my own religeous beliefs,but Some religeous people get very insulting when you dont agree with them.There is no need for people with either view to condemn people who dont agree.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#36    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Psychic Spy

• 2,017 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 15 October 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

I am not an atheist,I have my own religeous beliefs,but Some religeous people get very insulting when you dont agree with them.There is no need for people with either view to condemn people who dont agree.

They think it is their god given right, yet they cry persecution when people fight back.

Drunk with blood..
Danger cult leaders
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

#37    TheLogic

TheLogic

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

I myself, do not know whether or not god actually exists but I don't believe he does.

On many occasions I have been told my beliefs or lack of are wrong, what I don't understand is why can't we have our own beliefs without being criticised.

#38    MidKn13ght

MidKn13ght

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

• The world is MINE!!!!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

HELL YES WE DO!!! Ofcourse i work in a governement office. They pretty much think im the devil and refuse to hear why i am an athiest.. pretty much when i say i dont believe in god they give me the eye of rejection and walk away. Funny thing is i NEVER bring it up they always have to point it out. During all religious holidays i keep my mouth shut and play along. i have kids and want them to enjoy the religious holidays i.e.  christmas because it is a time of joy. I dont push my beliefs onto my kids or anyone else. Yet im always the bad guy because of this....i dont have problem being the bad guy lol its kinda fun and im used to it. But still i have to walk on egg shells and i get introuble if i fire back at them cuz they get offended at the drop of a dust partical..... :gun:

#39    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Psychic Spy

• 2,017 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

View PostMidKn13ght, on 15 October 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

cuz they get offended at the drop of a dust partical..... :gun:

Ain't that the truth.

Drunk with blood..
Danger cult leaders
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

#40    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 14 October 2012 - 01:32 AM, said:

What else, in reality, could it be.
Oh, I don't know; perhaps your imagination?

#41    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 14,880 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:58 AM

View PostAlienated Being, on 15 October 2012 - 05:45 PM, said:

Oh, I don't know; perhaps your imagination?

Doesnt anyone ever read a sentence in context anymore?

A real god is of course "just another life form" . What else, in reality, could it be

If a real god exists then, it is not imaginary. If a real god exists, then it is a life form. What(other than a life form) could a real god be?

One possible answer is a constructed artificial intelligence. In my terminology such a sentient artificial consrtruct is still a life form because of its self aware sapience.

Now to speak of the god i know. It is impossible for me to determine if it is a natural evolved organic entity like myself or a constructed artificial entity produced by others. Thats partly becaus,e of my position vis a vis it, and partly because of a lack of advanced tools to interpret it. Advanced technology is always incomprehensible to a lesser level of technology, if it is advanced enough. . The cosmic consciousness could be an organic based consciousness like ourselves, or an artificial  intelligence/consciousness. From my /our perspective as yet, there is no way to know

Edited by Mr Walker, 16 October 2012 - 04:12 AM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#42    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Psychic Spy

• 2,017 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:19 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 16 October 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

If a real god exists then, it is not imaginary. If a real god exists, then it is a life form. What(other than a life form) could a real god be?  

It all depends on how you define a god.

Drunk with blood..
Danger cult leaders
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

#43    Viviana98

Viviana98

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:57 AM

I would just like for a believer to explain things with out using the words "believe" or "faith". How about some truth and facts?? I don't want to hear bible riddles or how it depends on the context in which to take it. I want some things actually explained in a logical and factual way. I don't get mad that people believe in what they do, I get irritated that no one who does believe will admit that they just believe and that they don't know for a fact and that they might JUST might be wrong in teaching young kids that they'll go to hell if they don't believe what they do. You don't have any facts and you never will because you don't get the gifts of god until you die and you don't believe in past lives. So maybe stop being so hard headed and stop teaching it as though its fact. I think that's what gets most people is that you DON'T KNOW but you act as though its fact.

#44    Biff Wellington

Biff Wellington

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:01 AM

You're wrong Viv! Have faith. Blind faith. & don't question. There's no possible way you might die & find out that you wasted your time in doing so.

#45    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:45 AM

View PostViviana98, on 16 October 2012 - 05:57 AM, said:

I would just like for a believer to explain things with out using the words "believe" or "faith". How about some truth and facts?? I don't want to hear bible riddles or how it depends on the context in which to take it. I want some things actually explained in a logical and factual way. I don't get mad that people believe in what they do, I get irritated that no one who does believe will admit that they just believe and that they don't know for a fact and that they might JUST might be wrong in teaching young kids that they'll go to hell if they don't believe what they do. You don't have any facts and you never will because you don't get the gifts of god until you die and you don't believe in past lives. So maybe stop being so hard headed and stop teaching it as though its fact. I think that's what gets most people is that you DON'T KNOW but you act as though its fact.

Fair question, but you must realise there is no "logical" way to answer the "problem" of existence. There is no hope that logic and reason  can land a blow on it. The greatest delusion of all is to believe it is coming, somewhere in the future through science. Will not, and cannot happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users