Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UMers, Dow Jones: Stockmarket Divination

Professor T

So I'll bet you are wondering which way the Stockmarket will go, If only we knew...

Stockmarket billionares have used Science, Hunches, Intuition, Clairvoyance and many other various forms of Divination to determine what to do will all of their ill gotten gains.. Nowadays they just cheat...

So, Let's give it a go and see if the UM Community as a whole can Determine what the Dow Jones Industrial Average will be on the closing bell, 20th December 2012.

You can post Guesses if you like, because intuition is valid..

But if you want to have a bit of fun, try a legitimate form of divination such as reading your tea leaves, Biblomancy, Cleromancy or any of the other various forms of divination that are out there except for Anthropomancy. Sceptics, you are welcome to display your awesome power of Scepticalmancy!

Results will be collected and published after the Closing Bell 20th December, 2012. Then we will see how good we really are..

So, Two Questions..

• What way will The Dow Go. Up? Down? (bear in mind, the market is jittery at the moment.)
  • What will the Dow be on the closing Bell 20th December, 2012.
  • And if you want, tell us how you Divined the future.

Currently the Dow is 13,245.45 on Closing..

Here's what the Dow has done in the last 5 trading days.

f28t38.jpg

Have fun.

Edited by Professor T

Hmmmm

Up, but I'm using some basic market analysis.

Long term, there are no market drivers. The only thing keeping us ufloat is mobile technology and very bad money supply policy. Short term the markets wil pretend to get better until people realize it is not build on substance. Buy companies that support the technological infrastructure Intel is way undervalued at the moment.

• Like 1

I think it's going to go down, thump..

Only because of the fiskal cliff and a bank collapse because of idiots pulling out their money before 21.12. 2012.

I used Tasseography to get this number.. The brew was Earl Grey.. Two sugars, no milk..

Edited by Professor T

Old Man Waffles will love that one Hasina. ^^

Market will go up to somewhere around 13,600.

Because Banker's bonuses.

• Like 1

Well so far today it's sitting at 13,160.00, down.

I don't know. Indexes like the DJIA are so completely FAKE these days. I think they're so throughly manipulated, both directly and indirectly, that if you ever see a triple-digit one-day decline, it means the wheels have come off the dang thing, and collapse is here.

I could be wrong about that.

It amazes me that they've kept the whole Ponzi scheme going this long.

Anyway, I'll predict that next week as a whole will be pretty boring for the DJ, just the usual pre-Christmas upward creep followed by a dip between Santa and New Year's. Friday the 21, Doomsday, will see sluggish trading and the general culmination of a subdued Holiday season full of mixed economic signals. Then the world will end, and then they'll be back for half a day of equally subdued profit-taking on monday.

• Like 1

I don't know. Indexes like the DJIA are so completely FAKE these days. I think they're so throughly manipulated, both directly and indirectly, that if you ever see a triple-digit one-day decline, it means the wheels have come off the dang thing, and collapse is here.

I could be wrong about that.

It amazes me that they've kept the whole Ponzi scheme going this long.

Anyway, I'll predict that next week as a whole will be pretty boring for the DJ, just the usual pre-Christmas upward creep followed by a dip between Santa and New Year's. Friday the 21, Doomsday, will see sluggish trading and the general culmination of a subdued Holiday season full of mixed economic signals. Then the world will end, and then they'll be back for half a day of equally subdued profit-taking on monday.

Completely agree with a whole fake ponzi scheme thing..

Not so much of the end of the world happening soon stuff, though peoples perception of that will effect the numbers market.

Are you willing to take a stab at it? using any method you like..

Will the Market go up or Down?

And what will the DOW be at on the closing Bell, 20th December, 2012?

I'm puting our Predictions in a spread sheet to get some results to chew over.. To see how Stockmarket savy we are..

Edited by Professor T

Why Dec 20? I'll say it'll edge back up to 13300 +/- 50 at least by close of Fri 21 Dec. Knock a hundred off of that for close on Dec 20.

This is assuming the fiscal cliff evaporates like the mirage it is. If they're still playing chicken with the national budget, then your 10,600 might be right.

• Like 1

Why Dec 20?

Because on the 21'st I'll be in my bombshelter with my head between my knees in the crash position. :lol: JK

Martet has closed for the day, Down 74.73 points.

Matet closed at 13,170.72

Interestinly enough, UMer's have so far correctly predicted a downward trend.. :huh:

Market has closed down again @ 13,135.01

Another loss of 35.71 points.

It'll close at 11,189.04

I consulted with my bs guide. It stated to pull a number out of my ear.

• Like 1

Just so it's out in the open before the closing bell on the 20th, Seeker79's pick was 13,300.00..

So far, on average, responders (collectively) think it will close on or about 12,447.91

Market has closed up for the day.

Dow @ 13,235.39..

I know it's gonna crash I know it.. lol..

Sorry Guy's, but I don't think I'll be able to fulful my commitment to this thread.

My father has been taken to Hospital, and is not expected to live, so I doupt I'll be loggin in for a while, or not as often..

Dow Jones closed up again today at 13,350.96..

Sorry Guy's, but I don't think I'll be able to fulful my commitment to this thread.

My father has been taken to Hospital, and is not expected to live, so I doupt I'll be loggin in for a while, or not as often..

I'll take over prof, you take care of your own.

Wed closed at

Edited by Seeker79

My sincere condolences Prof. T.

On the note of this thread, I don't believe a big crash will come yet. I am just getting back into the whole share thing and scoping out what's good in the local market. I don't know enough about the Dow index at the moment. If I have a look at it today I'll chuck up my estimate later.

Closed Thursday

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back..

Thanks for the concern guys, & thanks for taking over Seeker.

So, results were..

UM Community partisipants sucsessfully predicted that the Dow would fall.. (Correct direction prediction) :tu:

Our collective average was 12447.91, the market closed at 13,141.61 (we were out by 693 points) :td:

Overall, I guess we're not that Stockmarket Savy..

But if you have a spare million or two to invest, Hamlyn might be the one to ask for financial advice.