Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

jesus and god and that kinda stuff...

gregsandersfromthelab

do you belive in all that christian/catholic stuff  

33 members have voted

1. 1. do you belive in all that christian/catholic stuff

• yes
    • sorta, yes
    • i don't know
    • sorta no
    • no way

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bizeebutt

• Athenian

• Hotoke

• gregsandersfromthelab

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted yes but with one provision, Catholic and Christian are 2 seperate things. I am a Christian I do not worship the Virgin Mary nor do I believe a mortal man can remove my sins.

I voted yes but with one provision, Catholic and Christian are 2 seperate things. I am a Christian I do not worship the Virgin Mary nor do I believe a mortal man can remove my sins.

412251[/snapback]

oh...sorry if i offended you! crying.gif

gregsandersfromthelab, dont worry too much....your question is quite innocent. I dont see how someone could get offended by that! And if they do, dont worry about it too much happy.gif

As for me I answered sorta no.

I am not Christian or Catholic nor believe in their religion, but as with any religion they have lots of wisdom to share. I take it and leave the rest.

oh...sorry if i offended you!

No offense taken I assure you.

I answered no way. why did you not choose all religions in stead of only christianity?

Edited by Hotoke

I answered no way. why did you not choose all religions in stead of only christianity?

412290[/snapback]

perhaps beause on this site....Christianity and Catholics take 3/4 if not more of the space.....

412290[/snapback]

perhaps beause on this site....Christianity and Catholics take 3/4 if not more of the space.....

412293[/snapback]

yea prety much that. it's really popular religon.

412251[/snapback]

I voted yes, I am Catholic and Christian and I do not worship the Virgin Mary nor do I believe a mortal man can remove my sins. original.gif

copy & paste rofl.gif

I'm definatly a "no way" I was raised Catholic tho, so I was brought up with Catholic and Christian morals, and I'll raise my kids with the same. But the actual religion mumbo jumbo and the belief in a god or gods is too farfetched for me.

twpdyp Posted Today, 11:54 AM

Are you saying you don't believe in Jesus? If so, then you aren't christian. Christians believe Jesus died for our sins, and Catholicism is a type of christianity.

Are you saying you don't believe in Jesus? If so, then you aren't christian. Christians believe Jesus died for our sins

I am a believer in Jesus Christ, he did die for our sins. Sorry for the vauge answer I am at work and I got interupted in mid sentence.

What is not to believe in being good towards your fellow man, benevolence, honoring your enemy, loving all... etc?!

angry.gif

i answered no way. i follow the facts of science.

quote:

"Religion is incompatible with science. Although many, including numerous highly respected scientists, aim to show that religion and science are complementary approaches to understanding the world and our place in it, the truth is that religious views are intellectually inconsistent with scientific views.

Only sentimental wishful thinking and cultural conditioning allows the two approaches to understanding the world to inhabit the same head. Religion is the institutionalizations of prejudice.

Science looks for simple concepts that underlie the workings of the world and sets them out in a way that, given patience and guidance are, in principle, accessible to everyone. Religion is a denial of our power of comprehension and puts for purported explanations cloaked in obscurity: we are not supposed to understand religion's "explanations", for we are presumed to be intellectually too puny. Science respects the power of the human intellect; religion denies it. Thus, science respects humanity; religion despises it.

Ethics spring from evolution, pragmatism and thoughtfulness about consequences. How much more admirable it is to base society's constraints on behaviour on a knowledge of our animal past and ability to think through consequences than on religious fiats based on faith. Although the clergy may be astute, kindly, circumspect and wise, it is deplorable that they should ration pleasure and regulate personal behaviour on the basis of private faith and institutionalized prejudice. Religion, with its kindly face, thwarts the aspirations of humanity."

is this a answer that you hope to see for our decision?

if so, that's my reason.

Science can not teach you how to behave and live happily, Why don't you just kill me and eat me for survival?

Edited by Athenian

Science can not teach you how to behave, Why don't you just kill me and eat me for survival?

412487[/snapback]

and the bible can?

Burning of early Christian literature for not supporting trumped up dogma's. Original biblical (gnostic) texts which did not substantiate Christian sectarian viewpoints, have so thoroughly been destroyed in the early centuries after the death of Jesus that we have hardly any record left. Moreover the great library of Alexandria, said to have contained half a million volumes, was destroyed by Christian fanatics in 397 AD - one of the severest losses to history ever encountered.

Persecution of the Jews, who are supposed to have been responsible for the alleged crucifixion of Christ leading up to the holocaust, following Paulinian accusations: ...the Jews, who killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets, and drove us out, the Jews who are heedless of God's will and enemies of their fellow-men.... (1 Thessalonians 2:14-16). After the reign of emperor Constantine it was considered a crime for a Christian to marry a Jew.

Persecution of homosexuals, mainly based on St. Paul's condemnation (although it has been speculated that he was a closet one himself. He never married, which was unusual at that time!). Homosexuals have been tortured, castrated and murdered throughout the ages, being condemned by God's supposed word. 'Homosexuals are filled with every kind of injustice, mischief, rapacity, and malice; they are one mass of envy, murder, rivalry, treachery, and malevolence .., etc. etc. (Romans 1:26-32).

Whereas homosexuals are believed to have contributed as no other sex to the advancement of civilisation percentagewise.

Condoning of slavery on the basis of some biblical texts (Ephesians 6:5: Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling....)

In Leviticus 25:44 Yahweh recommends buying slaves.

Subordination of women. (1 Corinthians 11:9 For neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.). But in fact science has discovered that the female species have much older genetic material than the male. Endocrinologist Prof. Dr. Netelenbos said that the receptor for the male hormone dates from around fifty million years ago, against 450 million years for the female oestrogen receptor.

Persecution of heretics, supposed witches and other lamentable members of the community who did not support church dogmatism. Eric Hoffer: "true believers of various hues ....view each other with mortal hatred and are ready to fly at each other's throat...". Heretics were tortured and slaughtered like cattle. Burning at the stake was justified by Matthew 3:10: ...every tree that fails to produce good food is cut down and thrown on the fire.

In 415 AD Hypathia, one of the last scholars to work in the famous library of Alexandria, was seized by Christians who scraped with shells the flesh from his bones and burnt the spillings!

In 1553 the Spanish physician Michael Servetus, who discovered the circulation of blood, was burned at the stake, by order of Calvin, for believing in the trinity (albeit nowhere mentioned in the gospels).

Obstructing advancement of science and culture. Great men who made amazing discoveries in science and medicine which might have benefited mankind, were being persecuted and forbidden to make their findings known. Nature need not to be examined as all explanations could be found in the Bible. Inventions were often considered the work of the devil. Discoveries by Leonardo da Vinci remained unknown for centuries. The creativity and constructional skills in building the pyramids were not matched until the 18th century A.D.

Philosopher Bruno was burnt at the stake, Galilei escaped it by lying. The theory of evolution was rejected as it contradicted the book of Genesis. Fossils were argued away as being from satanical creatures from antedelluvian times.

Christianity has so held Western civilization in its grip from the Dark Ages onward, obstructing advancement of liberal thought.

Teachings of other religions were suppressed. Buddhism, preaching compassion, was practically unknown till the nineteenth century. (See the Oriental Renaissance).

Blocking development of understanding life based on latest insight and advances in science. In some universities in the Southern states of the USA the theory of evolution may still not be taught. Many of their students believe that the earth was created some six thousand years ago in spite of the huge body of evidence to the contrary.

Imposing backward biblical notions on themes that could better human living conditions such as birth control and euthanasia. Not to speak of instilling fears for blood and natural bodily outlets as m********ion.

Disrespect of living beings. Animals, are supposed to have been created to support men. They have been slaughtered as sacrifice to god Yahweh.

Instilling a perpetual fear of an imminent end of the world. All gospels, epistles of St. Paul and specifically the Apocalypse herald the endtime and the Coming of Christ. This mistaken belief has cost the lives of countless Christians up to this day (Crusades, Jonestown, Heaven's Gate).

Brainwashing its believers that salvation depends on accepting on faith its incredible myth.

Belief in original sin instilling a traumatising fear in Christians from childhood onwards. This concept was thought up to account for almighty God making man's life a hell at times. But factually man pays a price for having been evolved from the animal kingdom to his present status. He is the one species capable of self-reflection. Endowed with creative powers and a vision of the Divine, his mind is yet incapable of grasping the why of it all

in response to Anthenia:

Even those with no faith have been brainwashed into respecting the faith of others. When so-called Muslim community leaders go on the radio and advocate the killing of Salman Rushdie, they are clearly committing incitement to murder--a crime for which they would ordinarily be prosecuted and possibly imprisoned. But are they arrested? They are not, because our secular society "respects" their faith, and sympathises with the deep "hurt" and "insult" to it.

Well I don't. I will respect your views if you can justify them. but if you justify your views only by saying you have faith in them, I shall not respect them.

Looks like religion teaches us to behave that way.

Amen, Hotoke.

Science can not teach you how to behave and live happily, Why don't you just kill me and eat me for survival?

412487[/snapback]

There are written works (if you take any good ethics classes) that teach you how to be a good person with no mention of god. rolleyes.gif

Hmmm...

Aristotle

Nietzsche

Epicurus

to name a few

Edited by Bizeebutt

412487[/snapback]

Let me see. Japan lowest crime rating in the world and 99% of the people do not believe in any religion. they only follow shintoism and buddhism because it is tradition Let us compare that with USA or France or Great britain. christianity is the main religion and most of them follow it but the crime ratings are insane. violence people getting killed drug use etc. conclusion Japan a country with no religion > any christianity following country. No religion > religion

Edited by Hotoke

*doesn't believe in god but, if you'll excuse a great deal of sarcasm towards people that annoy me, is a good person at heart tongue.gif*

Claiming that you need to be religious in order to have morals, or be a good person, lies somewhere on the line or offensive/stupid tongue.gif I don't believe in god, yet have never had the urge to rush out into the street and start randomly stabbing passersby, just because it strikes me as something exciting to do tongue.gif

412487[/snapback]

Let me see. Japan lowest crime rating in the world and 99% of the people do not believe in any religion. they only follow shintoism and buddhism because it is tradition Let us compare that with USA or France or Great britain. christianity is the main religion and most of them follow it but the crime ratings are insane. violence people getting killed drug use etc. conclusion Japan a country with no religion > any christianity following country. No religion > religion

412515[/snapback]

Hotoke, this is very true. I lived in Japan for three years and the biggest thing on the news over there ever was impending doom from a tsunami or typhoon. No sex, no drugs, a lil bit o' rock and roll... and whao, no personal firearms.

and whao, no personal firearms.

AND some of the most graphic tv any children in the globe are exposed to tongue.gif So, let's see...we've blown.

1) Religious people are better morally.

2) Guns don't kill people, people kill people

and

3) TV causes violence.

What other crap can we use Japan to throw out of the window? original.gif

412487[/snapback]

There are written works (if you take any good ethics classes) that teach you how to be a good person with no mention of god. rolleyes.gif

Hmmm...

Aristotle

Nietzsche

Epicurus

to name a few

412505[/snapback]

Ah that is not science... tongue.gif

When did I ever mention a God?

There are still good and useful teachings in Christianity that should be heeded even if one does not believe in a God.

We can all be good and better people if we listen to the teachings, warnings, prophecies, instructions, and rules that our history and ancestors throughout all the cultures and religions have given us.

Most spiritual laws give you something more and effect you in a way no material law can.

Edited by Athenian