Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

why do people still believe in big foot

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#166    Sakari

Sakari

Say it how it is

• 13,063 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

View PostBavarian Raven, on 30 December 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

A little back on topic, lol, but humans are not "slow-witted" in the woods. Our noses are to some extent our hearing is not as good as other species, but (if one is familiar with the woods and spends a lot of time out it them), we can compensate for those with great sight and above all else, reason. And if Sasquatches are but humans who went "wild" due to one genetic disorder or another, they would be just as smart and just as sly/creative as any other human out there. Heck, I remember as a kid, my friends and I would play in the wooded ravine behind our school. It was dense brush and tree in there, and steep terrain, and when one of us didn't want to be found/seen, it was as tough as hell trying to find them. So, while most modern humans are "slow witted" in the woods, not all modern humans are. Cheers.

Something else to remember.....

About every animal in " the woods " is hunted by people. Legally and illegally. Some prefer bow hunting ( as I had ), and about every animal out there has been taken by a bow and arrow.

If we are " slow witted " , then those dead animals taken in hunts must be more " slow witted " then us :)

Here are two things on their own hard to get close to.....

GEDC0056.JPG

Edited by Sakari, 30 December 2012 - 11:29 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#167    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,267 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

View PostBavarian Raven, on 30 December 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

A little back on topic, lol, but humans are not "slow-witted" in the woods.
I strongly disagree.

Our noses are to some extent our hearing is not as good as other species, but (if one is familiar with the woods and spends a lot of time out it them), we can compensate for those with great sight and above all else, reason.
You gave the correct reasons why. And the "above all else" part is what slows us down the most.

So, while most modern humans are "slow witted" in the woods, not all modern humans are. Cheers.
In the context of what your view on what a sas is, I have to agree with you here.

Posted Image

#168    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,267 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

View PostSakari, on 30 December 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

About every animal in " the woods " is hunted by people. Legally and illegally. Some prefer bow hunting ( as I had ), and about every animal out there has been taken by a bow and arrow.

If we are " slow witted " , then those dead animals taken in hunts must be more " slow witted " then us :)

Here are two things on their own hard to get close to.....

Attachment GEDC0056.JPG
How long did it take you to figure out how to outsmart them? How much time was taken in trial and error?  Anything longer than a few minutes and your in the slow witted bin. Yes, we are quite capable of figuring it out, in time.

Posted Image

#169    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

View PostSakari, on 30 December 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

Attachment GEDC0056.JPG

Yeah, we'd have died out long ago. Stopping at Mickey D's or Wally World after a bad hunt has only been possible very recently in context of human history.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 30 December 2012 - 11:39 PM.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#170    AREA__51

AREA__51

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 30 December 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

You are kidding right?  BFRO's main goal is to sell overpriced squatching expeditions to fringies and rubes.  They also are heavily into merchandising on the side.  BFRO is opportunistic and crazy.  They feed the fire of Bigfoot nuttery without adding anything constructive to the debate.
yes, I was kidding.

Edited by AREA__51, 30 December 2012 - 11:44 PM.

#171    Sakari

Sakari

Say it how it is

• 13,063 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

View PostStardrive, on 30 December 2012 - 11:36 PM, said:

How long did it take you to figure out how to outsmart them? How much time was taken in trial and error?  Anything longer than a few minutes and your in the slow witted bin. Yes, we are quite capable of figuring it out, in time.

Took a while....Did not get a Deer with a bow for my first 5 years of bow hunting. Had plenty of shots, just nothing inside 50 yards. I wish I had taken a camera with me every time though.

Now, as for Chukar, Dove, Duck, Goose, etc.... I am pretty positive I was on them my very first times out.

I think it depends on how one is raised. Obviously, a person straight from LA out of the hood would not be very fortunate in the wild.

Now a person that saw shows on TV, and has learned a bit from reading would have a better chance.

A person raised around wildlife, or hunting / fishing would be a natural.

Animals are the same way. Deer born near housing developments are no where as timid, or " street smart " as Deer born deep in the back country. They have nothing really to be defensive about. Deer in the back country have things that will eat them, and they are raised knowing this.

Look at Emperor penguins....Humans can walk right up to them, as they have no reason to fear them.

So, it really has to do with habitat, and generations before you.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#172    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,025 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

View PostSakari, on 30 December 2012 - 11:45 PM, said:

Took a while....Did not get a Deer with a bow for my first 5 years of bow hunting. Had plenty of shots, just nothing inside 50 yards. I wish I had taken a camera with me every time though.

Now, as for Chukar, Dove, Duck, Goose, etc.... I am pretty positive I was on them my very first times out.

I think it depends on how one is raised. Obviously, a person straight from LA out of the hood would not be very fortunate in the wild.

Now a person that saw shows on TV, and has learned a bit from reading would have a better chance.

A person raised around wildlife, or hunting / fishing would be a natural.

Animals are the same way. Deer born near housing developments are no where as timid, or " street smart " as Deer born deep in the back country. They have nothing really to be defensive about. Deer in the back country have things that will eat them, and they are raised knowing this.

Look at Emperor penguins....Humans can walk right up to them, as they have no reason to fear them.

i was sort of thinking along these lines too
if you took a creature that was raised in captivity and then let them out in their 'natural habitat' they wouldn't know what to do either. it would take them some time to figure things out as well (if they didn't get eaten by something else in the interim)
so it isn't about slow wittedness, it's about experience

#173    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

so it isn't about slow wittedness, it's about experience

Very, very true. If we were "slow witted" we'd be extinct. Intelligence is a sixth sense so to speak. And arguably the most important of the senses.

How long did it take you to figure out how to outsmart them?

Not that long actually. On my third or fourth try, I got within a meter of them.

#174    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,777 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

We have smarts, tools, and weapons which is why we are so successful, and dominate the earth.

If bigfoot was so smart wouldn't he be competing with us to build walmarts and mcdonalds?

#175    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

Give them time and they'll take over.

#176    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,267 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

View PostSakari, on 30 December 2012 - 11:45 PM, said:

Sounds logical. But we're still slow witted in the woods. Not so much the hunters though.... they're more savvy than most.

Posted Image

#177    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

You have to be in order to be a successful hunter. However, with the advantage of modern fire arms we do have a huge advantage now so we don't have to be quite so mindful of what we're doing, however the prey is always wary.

#178    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,267 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

Ok, I'll say "I'm slow witted in the woods and it seems everyone else I've been out there with is just as slow witted as I am, if not more so."

But all my arguing friends here are the best and very quick witted in the woods. Nothing gets by them. Is that better?

Give me time and I'll learn how to navigate the waters here.

Posted Image

#179    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,777 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

View PostNight Walker, on 30 December 2012 - 12:55 AM, said:

It is no coincidence that Patterson also had a high regard for this person (Ray Wallace) and consulted him prior to making his Bigfoot film...

"Either the most complex and sophisticated hoax in the history of anthropology has continued for centuries without being exposed, or the most manlike (and largest) non-human primate on earth has managed to survive in parts of North America and remains undiscovered by modern science." - Forensic anthropologist George W. Gill, Former Director of the American Board of Forensic Anthropologists

Note that he says "anthropology" (the study of humankind; of our societies and cultures) rather than "biology" (study of living organisms) or even "zoology" (study of animal life). This is significant.

Following the trail of Bigfoot reveals a history of fakery and storytelling loosely based on the same theme - the Wild/Hairy Man. Such fakery and storytelling is neither overly complex nor sophisticated but it is a very human thing to do. This part of our (anglo) folkloric tradition overlaps with that of the Native Americans is reflected in the distribution of Bigfoot sightings which largely cease at the Mexican border. The folklore of the Latin culture which colonized central America overlaps with that of the Native Americans moreso in terms of "devils" (like the modern Chupucabra) than "wild/hairy-men". If Bigfoot were a real creature it would also be appearing with the same frequency south of the border and that is simply not the case...

See Mangani's Bigfoot Maps.

There is much evidence that Bigfoot is a cultural experience. There is no evidence that Bigfoot is an undocumented species.

Excellent point NW,

Bigfoot is either a cultural belief, or the border patrol is more effective at keeping bigfoot out of Mexico than keeping Mexicans in Mexico.

Seriously though that map pretty much says it all doesn't it?

#180    Sakari

Sakari

Say it how it is

• 13,063 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

View PostStardrive, on 31 December 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

Ok, I'll say "I'm slow witted in the woods and it seems everyone else I've been out there with is just as slow witted as I am, if not more so."

But all my arguing friends here are the best and very quick witted in the woods. Nothing gets by them. Is that better?

Give me time and I'll learn how to navigate the waters here.

I am not saying anyone is " better " then anyone else. Nor am I arguing.

I could go out right now and track down a few Elk....My wife on the other hand, would never see them.

I am just saying it is not being " witty ", it is having experience, and education on how to do it.

Take evancj for example. He can go out and get magnificent wildlife pictures at anytime, because he has experience doing it. Just as you would if you made it a hobby of yours.

I know one thing, if I were lost i the woods and had to survive on vegetation, I would have a very good chance of dying. I know little to nothing of what is safe to eat.

Edited by Sakari, 31 December 2012 - 12:09 AM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users