Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why People Believe in Conspiracies

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#1    Viral

Viral

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• Nothing is true
    Everything is permitted

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:46 AM

The article is here: http://www.scientifi...in-conspiracies

My personal favourite bit:

But as former Nixon aide G. Gordon Liddy once told me (and he should know!), the problem with government conspiracies is that bureaucrats are incompetent and people can’t keep their mouths shut. Complex conspiracies are difficult to pull off, and so many people want their quarter hour of fame that even the Men in Black couldn’t squelch the squealers from spilling the beans. So there’s a good chance that the more elaborate a conspiracy theory is, and the more people that would need to be involved, the less likely it is true.

So what do you guys think about this?

Posted Image

#2    Bracket

Bracket

Evil Monkey Genius

• 3,968 posts

• I'm the fourth wise monkey.

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:03 AM

I simply agree with that. Anything big WOULD be found out. I mean, government officials can't even keep their affairs secret,and those happen between 2 people in a closed room.  :rolleyes:

I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

*Note to self, need more henchman, good ones this time. Also, start auditions for new female lab assistant.

#3    Viral

Viral

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• Nothing is true
    Everything is permitted

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:12 AM

View PostBracket, on 23 February 2011 - 01:03 AM, said:

I simply agree with that. Anything big WOULD be found out. I mean, government officials can't even keep their affairs secret,and those happen between 2 people in a closed room.  :rolleyes:
Of course with the way conspiracy theorists are the whole nature of it would mean they could turn around and say "that's what they want you to think!" :lol:

Posted Image

#4    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:46 AM

The promotion of conspiracy theories might well be a giant conspiracy, I mean "they" might want you to concentrate on the wacky stuff, like the moon hoax story, while the real conspiracies slip under the radar. No wonder those U.S. bills have got " In God We Trust " printed on them, or is that part of a conspiracy too ? Paranoia knows no bounds, trust me on that one.  :innocent:

#5    Q24

Q24

Government Agent

• 3,921 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:47 AM

View PostVirus, on 23 February 2011 - 12:46 AM, said:

The article is here: http://www.scientifi...in-conspiracies

My personal favourite bit:

So what do you guys think about this?
I think that enormous government-backed ‘conspiracies’ such as Operation Gladio, Operation Northwoods and Operation Ajax amongst others went unrevealed for decades and this on its own squelches the paragraph you quoted.

The article references 9/11.

Explain why one person behind the false flag attack would speak out.

It doesn’t make sense.

The information that is provided by whistleblowers on the fringe of the operation is consistently disregarded by the media and public at large.

So sure, a large ‘conspiracy’ can’t exist to most peoples’ minds… until an official source confirms it.

:rolleyes:

Operation Northwoods was a 1962 plan by the US Department of Defense to cause acts of violence, blamed on Cuba, in order to generate U.S. public support for military action against the Cuban government. The plan called for various false flag actions, such as staged terrorist attacks and plane hijackings, on U.S. and Cuban soil.

#6    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,629 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:08 AM

I think there are a lot of people out there who have to much time on their hands.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#7    MstrMsn

MstrMsn

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

• "If you don't like the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question!"

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:45 PM

View PostHabitat, on 23 February 2011 - 01:46 AM, said:

The promotion of conspiracy theories might well be a giant conspiracy, I mean "they" might want you to concentrate on the wacky stuff, like the moon hoax story, while the real conspiracies slip under the radar. No wonder those U.S. bills have got " In God We Trust " printed on them, or is that part of a conspiracy too ? Paranoia knows no bounds, trust me on that one.  :innocent:

"In God We Trust" was put on our currency during the 1950s. This was during the cold war, to show that the "commies" were Godless heathens, and we had to be scared of them. No conspiracy, everything was right out in the open: ignorance and arrogance.

We are born with 2 fears: Falling, and loud noises, all others are LEARNED.
You say fear is all in the mind. I say you are right; for it is our imagination that makes things seem scary.
If you want to learn how to not be afraid, ask.

#8    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,480 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:16 PM

View PostHabitat, on 23 February 2011 - 01:46 AM, said:

Indeed, I've often thought that, that some of the more outré ones might have been planted to discredit those who have a (very often entirely healthy) distrust of governments.  A prime example being (not wanting to derail this by starting any arguments about it, just as an example) 9/11, where people are put off from asking some of the questions that I think could quite legitimately be asked by some of the wackier fringe theories.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#9    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,558 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:59 PM

View PostQ24, on 23 February 2011 - 01:47 AM, said:

I think that enormous government-backed ‘conspiracies’ such as Operation Gladio, Operation Northwoods and Operation Ajax amongst others went unrevealed for decades and this on its own squelches the paragraph you quoted.

The article references 9/11.

Explain why one person behind the false flag attack would speak out.

It doesn’t make sense.

The information that is provided by whistleblowers on the fringe of the operation is consistently disregarded by the media and public at large.

So sure, a large ‘conspiracy’ can’t exist to most peoples’ minds… until an official source confirms it.

:rolleyes:

There's a big difference between something being a secret vs something being a conspiracy and, frankly, comparing those operations you list above to something like 9/11 is apples and oranges.

Equating the deaths of 3,000+ Americans to paramilitary operations in Italy, a false flag operation that never went beyond proposal stage, and the US-led coup in Iran that returned the Shah to power that pretty much everyone knows about doesn't make sense at all.

Not to mention all three of those examples happened decades ago when we weren't all fame grubbing glory hounds.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#10    flyingswan

flyingswan

Government Agent

• 3,846 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:11 PM

View PostRafterman, on 23 February 2011 - 03:59 PM, said:

...and the US-led coup in Iran that returned the Shah to power...
That was the conspiracy, but the conspiracy theory is that Mossadegh was a British agent and conspired in his own overthrow to thwart the clerics.
http://www.worldling...piracy_theories

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true" - Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
In which case it is fortunate that:
"Science is the best defense against believing what we want to" - Ian Stewart (1945- )

#11    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,950 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:56 PM

As someone who works in a federal government I find a lot of conspiracy theories that are thrown around just foolish. I can't see how the government can kill thousands of people with a needlessly complex plan without anyone noticing when it takes them a damn month to get my desk set up properly.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#12    Q24

Q24

Government Agent

• 3,921 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:34 PM

View PostRafterman, on 23 February 2011 - 03:59 PM, said:

There's a big difference between something being a secret vs something being a conspiracy and, frankly, comparing those operations you list above to something like 9/11 is apples and oranges.

Equating the deaths of 3,000+ Americans to paramilitary operations in Italy, a false flag operation that never went beyond proposal stage, and the US-led coup in Iran that returned the Shah to power that pretty much everyone knows about doesn't make sense at all.

Not to mention all three of those examples happened decades ago when we weren't all fame grubbing glory hounds.
I didn’t equate 9/11 to those other ‘conspiracies’ – at best there are a few comparisons that could be drawn.  I used the examples specifically to show that an operation can be elaborate, involve many people and still be quite true.

I then moved on to ask why anyone behind the 9/11 false flag attack would reveal the role they played… and I’ve never had a sensible answer to that.  Obviously they don’t plan for years, action the operation, get the results and then sit down for an interview with the media to tell everyone about it.

I pointed out that when information has been released by individuals on the periphery of the operation, for example, the fact that Silverstein was seeking to authorise a controlled demolition of WTC7 on the day, that the hijackers appeared to be receiving protection in the United States or that foreign and domestic government agents are implicated, etc etc etc, this is mostly ignored anyway.

I then concluded from the three separate issues above that ‘conspiracy theory’ only becomes ‘conspiracy fact’ for the… I’m going to say it… sheeple when an official source confirms it and/or, as you say, the event becomes so far removed from memory that it is no longer worth denying.

I hope that explains.

And what’s a ‘fame grubbing glory hound’ anyway?   :D

Operation Northwoods was a 1962 plan by the US Department of Defense to cause acts of violence, blamed on Cuba, in order to generate U.S. public support for military action against the Cuban government. The plan called for various false flag actions, such as staged terrorist attacks and plane hijackings, on U.S. and Cuban soil.

#13    Q24

Q24

Government Agent

• 3,921 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:42 PM

View PostCorp, on 23 February 2011 - 04:56 PM, said:

As someone who works in a federal government I find a lot of conspiracy theories that are thrown around just foolish. I can't see how the government can kill thousands of people with a needlessly complex plan without anyone noticing when it takes them a damn month to get my desk set up properly.
Yeah… because moving a desk is very much like a high-level covert op.

And I got called out for my comparison?

:blink:

#14    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:06 AM

Every time I get the bill from the dentist I am reminded that.....

" Every profession is a conspiracy against the laity "

#15    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:28 AM

I think a lot of conspriracies are nonsense but I do believe in some of them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users