Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Elijah go to heaven without death

KrowMax

Did Prophet Elijah go to heaven without experiencing death..?it is said that he taken to heaven without experiencing death.It is written in the bible that he was taken to heaven and his apprentice had succeeded him..

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shabd Mystic

• KrowMax

• Jor-el

• Hero of our time.

There is no source outside scripture which corroborates this tale as anything except a fantasy story. Thus, the existence of the character(s) in question must be held in some doubt and makes this topic a matter of belief, rather than an 'historical mystery'.

I would recommend the topic be moved to a religious forum, where it may be discussed as a matter of belief - but it is your call to request the move, Rodegil.

Did Prophet Elijah go to heaven without experiencing death..?it is said that he taken to heaven without experiencing death.It is written in the bible that he was taken to heaven and his apprentice had succeeded him..

Welcome to UM Rodegil. :tu:

As Leonardo writes, this is a question about Bible Scriptures, and as such, I'll move your Original Post (OP) to the "Spirituality vs Skepticism" forum board.

Also, here are my personal thoughts/opinions in answer to your post:

It is a common misconception that Elijah was taken "to heaven without experiencing death".

The verse about Elijah you write about is:

2Ki 2:11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

First,consider that the word "heaven" has three distinct meanings:

the atmosphere of Earth;

the outer space of the universe;

the realm where at present God's spirit beings dwell.

About five years after his trip in the fiery chariot, Elijah sent a letter to King Jehoram. You can read the contents of Elijah's letter to the king in 2 Chronicles 21:12-15. This by itself is proof that Elijah continued to live right here on Earth, after his trip through the sky in the fiery chariot.

Where Elijah lived for those five years is not mentioned in the Bible; nor is there any mention in Scriptures as to what Elijah did afterwards,or when he died. The one thing for certain is that he was *not* taken into the "heaven" where God dwells. The only human who has ever ascended into that "heaven" is Jesus.

Also, in this context consider the following:

Act 2:29 ... the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

Act 2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: ...

Regards,

Karlis

As Leonardo writes, this is a question about Bible Scriptures, and as such, I'll move your Original Post (OP) to the "Spirituality vs Skepticism" forum board.

It is a common misconception that Elijah was taken "to heaven without experiencing death".

2Ki 2:11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

the atmosphere of Earth;

About five years after his trip in the fiery chariot, Elijah sent a letter to King Jehoram. You can read the contents of Elijah's letter to the king in 2 Chronicles 21:12-15. This by itself is proof that Elijah continued to live right here on Earth, after his trip through the sky in the fiery chariot.

Where Elijah lived for those five years is not mentioned in the Bible; nor is there any mention in Scriptures as to what Elijah did afterwards,or when he died. The one thing for certain is that he was *not* taken into the "heaven" where God dwells. The only human who has ever ascended into that "heaven" is Jesus.

Act 2:29 ... the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

Regards,

Karlis

I tend to agree it all of this Karlis, except for one inherent assumption. That a person must have died to go to heaven. That certainly is the consistent pattern in the bible. Even christ dies as a man on earth before returning to heaven.

However it does not entirely preclude the possibility that elijah was given "special visitor" status and entered heaven for a time. After all, even the saved section of humanity, in the biblical story, does not reside permanently in heaven. It is not meant to be their home. From the time of their resurrection, until the establishment of the new earth, they are visiting in heaven. After that, they too return to earth. So theoretically Elijah, for a variety of reasons, might have visited heaven as a special guest.

The thing I have always liked about this story is the manner/ nature of his ascent to heaven. It is not just the stuff of science fiction writers, but a very believable account of what a person from that time might describe in seeing a physical ascent to heaven (or indeed, "the heavens")

Personally I suspect it was deliberately a bit "showy". God is capable of much less obvious, and more instant, translocations of people, but it made for "very compelling viewing" and a great story.

spontaneous combustion? I always thought that was a plausible interpretation of that image

UFO?

i'm not really sure about this but didn't jesus say to someone somewhere in the bible "who do they say that i am? .. Elijah?" these aren't the exact words but the inference i believe was that some folk at the time thought jesus was elijah returned or reincarnate. [?]

To give you the Islamic perspective on Elijah (idris). According to Islamic tradition Elijah was carried by the angels to heaven and he experienced death on route. A mighty prophet! Every soul shall taste death, but only Jesus (according to Islamic tradition has not tasted death yet) Jesus will taste death on his second coming.

I have been to heaven with out "Death" and am back to tell. So I will say yes , It's entirely possibe he did.

Love Omnaka

the atmosphere of Earth;

Regards,

Karlis

Hi Karlis, I personally do not see how this letter came 5 years after Elijah ascended to heaven in the fiery chariot. Would you mind explaining the chronology of your reasoning?

Since both Chronicles and Kings were written over an extended time period and in parallel to one another, it may simply be that the reference in Chronicles happened at a time before the events of his ascension.

Yes he did, but he is not expected to stay there, as Mr. Walker pointed out. The reference to Elijahs return in Malachi 3:19 demonstrates this clearly.

That is the reason why the Jews expected Elijahs return to come before the the coming of the Messiah, he is supposed to announce the appearance of the Messiah in Jewish tradition. That is the reason for their confusion and question to Jesus, asking him if he was Elijah returned from heaven.

Acording to many eschatalogical interpretations, Elijah will be one of the "Two Witnesses" mentioned in the book of Revelation, where in fact they (Elijah and another person) do announce the coming of the Messiah, except this is his 2nd coming.

Hi Karlis, I personally do not see how this letter came 5 years after Elijah ascended to heaven in the fiery chariot. Would you mind explaining the chronology of your reasoning?

Since both Chronicles and Kings were written over an extended time period and in parallel to one another, it may simply be that the reference in Chronicles happened at a time before the events of his ascension.

Hi again Jor-el,

When Elijah was taken up in the flaming chariot, Jehoshaphat was the king of Judah.

Jehoshaphat gave the kingdom to Jehoram (his youngest son).

Elijah sent the letter to king Jehoram.

Hi again Jor-el,

When Elijah was taken up in the flaming chariot, Jehoshaphat was the king of Judah.

Hmm, tough one...

judah-and-israel.gif

Jehoram became king of Judah in the fifth year of Jehoram of Israel, when his father Jehoshaphat was still king of Judah, indicating a co-regency. The author of Kings also speaks of both Jehoram of Israel and Jehoram of Judah in the same passage, which can be confusing. Jehoram took the throne at the age of 32 and reigned for eight years.

Coregent with Jehoshaphat: 854–849 BC

Sole reign: 849 BC – 842 BC

Theres your 5 missing years.

Hi again Jor-el,

This is interesting and a call to study. I've always heard that both Elijah and Enoch were taken to heaven without dying and they would return to die after witnessing in the end days. Thanks for the puzzle :)

This is interesting and a call to study. I've always heard that both Elijah and Enoch were taken to heaven without dying and they would return to die after witnessing in the end days. Thanks for the puzzle :)

Some say that they are the Two witnesses of Revelation, but truly no-one knows who they will be. But tradition states that they did go bodily to heaven. My logic is that 2 people go to heaven without dying, hence they will both return to die. To me it all fits.

• 1 month later...

Hey Omnaka ..Are you sure about that or you are just joking..Your joke is not good.It is blasphemy..

Elijah and the Altar/pyramid/earth or mountain of G D . Altar and fire/sun storm/electromagnetic energy from G D . G D/ Sun who is good for us,sleep not,went not any where. Strange suns /gods who are negative ,slumbers ,moved .

Elijah and his priesthood illustrate the potential or the experience of ancients to EMP.

I have been to heaven with out "Death" and am back to tell. So I will say yes , It's entirely possibe he did.

Love Omnaka

Me too!! Except I would say I was technically medically dead. AND, not all that convince it would have been any type of "religious" type heaven. But it was an awesome place. :innocent:

Hey Omnaka ..Are you sure about that or you are just joking..Your joke is not good.It is blasphemy..

Blasphemy????? Really??? According to you?

Maybe he had an epilepsy, just like St. Paul did.

The Omnaka character posts all kinds of outlandish turds that you can't dare to imagine. And guess what, he runs around with a nail gun. (he is a construction contractor.)

Yes he did, but he is not expected to stay there, as Mr. Walker pointed out. The reference to Elijahs return in Malachi 3:19 demonstrates this clearly.

That is the reason why the Jews expected Elijahs return to come before the the coming of the Messiah, he is supposed to announce the appearance of the Messiah in Jewish tradition. That is the reason for their confusion and question to Jesus, asking him if he was Elijah returned from heaven.

Acording to many eschatalogical interpretations, Elijah will be one of the "Two Witnesses" mentioned in the book of Revelation, where in fact they (Elijah and another person) do announce the coming of the Messiah, except this is his 2nd coming.

This is also my understanding but I am available for instruction :yes:

Ahaha that's Omnaka ...He said he goes to heaven then came back..LOL:)

As the bible had said Elijah was taken up to heaven by the chariot of fire.And his apprentice Elisha succeeded him as a prophet.Elisha obtain the power of Elijah.As Elijah said that if Elisha witness that his master Elijah is taken to heaven he would obtain the power of his master Elijah.After Elijah is taken some group of prophets from Jericho said to Elisha that they would find Elijah cause maybe he was just by the chariot to some far mountain but Elisha said "No" but they still insisted.After 3 days they come back and did not find Elijah.

Ahaha that's Omnaka ...He said he goes to heaven then came back..LOL:)

Rodegil.

Exactly what quailfies you to ''Ahaha'' at somebody who makes a genuine reply to your posts? I think maybe you should show a little more respect if you wish to be taken seriously here.

There are many things I could say about your posts, me being a non believer, but I dont out of respect for your beliefs. :unsure2: