Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sleep Paralysis

xadoflitan

Are there people with sleep paralysis who don't have troubling alien abduction stories? Or was sleep paralysis just invented to explain alien abductions...

I want to meet a person with sleep paralysis who never had an alien abduction or hallucination experience. wacko.gif

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Derek123

• kthxbye

• Nameless

• muddyfrog

I havn't had sleeping paralysis but I know what it is. It's not necessarily with alien abductions. It's when you wake up, in the middle of the night, unable to move, and the person experiences one of there greatest fears.

A person who truly beleives in aliens will invision being abducted and a person who is religious will see the devil, in hell, in his/her house.

It's not really an explaination to aliens, it's a condition.

Edited by Nameless

I havn't had sleeping paralysis but I know what it is. It's not necessarily with alien abductions. It's when you wake up, in the middle of the night, unable to move, and the person experiences one of there greatest fears.

A person who truly beleives in aliens will invision being abducted and a person who is religious will see the devil, in hell, in his/her house.

822259[/snapback]

Thanks for explaining that to me Nameless.

That is a good explanation, but it doesn't debunk the alien abduction phenomenon, there are countless abductions of people from outside their bed, while wide awake.

and what started the fear anyway? did the fear just pop out of nowhere? Of course not, the fear was produced and reproduced over many generation from actual real encounters with aliens. If what I say is true, then who has the right to say that these bedside abduction scenarios are mere imaginatory hallucinations based on fear? No one!

Xad

What did you experience?

822279[/snapback]

I'd been having trouble with waking up in the middle of night. I just remember waking up one night and not being able to move. But it's kind of blurry to remember, from what I can recall I just became scared that I had become paralysed and then sort of drifting back to sleep.

In order to answer your question xadoflitan, we'll need to look into the "victims" past and see what kind of medical history they have. I'm not crossing out the abduction theory, i'm just saying we need to see if they have/had any medical treatment.

If they are healthy, then we can confidently bring up the topic of aliens.

i believe you xad. in your theory. ithink that thats exactly what happened.

mac thumbsup.gifalien.gif

822259[/snapback]

Thanks for explaining that to me Nameless.

That is a good explanation, but it doesn't debunk the alien abduction phenomenon, there are countless abductions of people from outside their bed, while wide awake.

and what started the fear anyway? did the fear just pop out of nowhere? Of course not, the fear was produced and reproduced over many generation from actual real encounters with aliens. If what I say is true, then who has the right to say that these bedside abduction scenarios are mere imaginatory hallucinations based on fear? No one!

Xad

822293[/snapback]

Only partially correct...(I think)

Ive had sleep paralysis about 5-6 times. I was scared because I wake up and can't move anything. Not even my eyes! I could see and hear but couldnt change what I was looking at. I didnt see ghosts/Aliens/demons or what ever else.

I do believe people have been abducted though. I have never seen an alien real or imagined. I am and was very interested in aliens and my brain didn't use that as an excuse for being paralyzed. I just assumed that I woke up "still" paralyzed from REM sleep. I didn't assume I had been purpousfully paralyzed.

I Don't think most abductions can be explained this way. There are really impressionable people out there who may take this as being abducted. (mabey)

***BUT*** Sleep paralysis doesn't last all that long. It woudn't be long enough for you to go on a ship and come back lol. Mabey a minute at most I would think.

I could easily say this: MOST abductions occur at night when people are suddenly awakened. Skeptics it's because abductions arent real and people simply dream them up. I say it's because you are most vulnerable while sleeping, DUH.

Why would "they" paralyze you?

Ever watch animal planet original.gif

i have suffered from sleep paralysis a few times. I dont have any abduction stories. Just wanted you to know that while maybe all abduction stories aren't real, sleep paralysis is.

BTW the event itself was scary, but I have NO ghosts, goblins, demons, or aliens in my stories.

edit: spelling, rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr frankenstein spell good.

Edited by sourpatchkid

***BUT*** Sleep paralysis doesn't last all that long. It woudn't be long enough for you to go on a ship and come back lol. Mabey a minute at most I would think.

Wouldn't what happened on the ship be a result of them falling back to sleep and dreaming about it?

Wouldn't what happened on the ship be a result of them falling back to sleep and dreaming about it?

822356[/snapback]

I don't know (never experience it myself) as I said 6 times no paranormal activity.

I don't think so though, you said you had it? Isnt it scary as sh**? How quick would you fall asleep after that? Peoples stories as far as I see them Start right when they wake up and don't include laying back down or anything.

I don't think so though, you said you had it? Isnt it scary as sh**? How quick would you fall asleep after that? Peoples stories as far as I see them Start right when they wake up and don't include laying back down or anything.

You'd think it'd be really scary, but it wasn't that bad. I got into a bit of a huff but fell back asleep. I'm guessing that if my body was still asleep than my brain probably wasn't fully functioning either.

You'd think it'd be really scary, but it wasn't that bad. I got into a bit of a huff but fell back asleep. I'm guessing that if my body was still asleep than my brain probably wasn't fully functioning either.

822378[/snapback]

What do you mean "youd think that"

I was very scared all 6 times. Even though I knew by the second time what to expect. When It happens to me Im fully awake ( I go get breakfast as soon as I can move grin2.gif )

I try and move with all my might, but can't.

Your control comes back without warning though, and I usualy make a sudden jerk and end up on the floor. wacko.gif

I meant from my point of view, if someone asked me before it happened if I would be scared if I woke up paralyzed I'd say yes but when it actually happened I wasn't as scared as I thought I'd be.

But mine was in the middle of the night which is probably why I drifted back to sleep.

Edited by kthxbye

I think that when you are experiencing sleeping paralysis, only one portion of your brain is fonctioning so that you are aware, but unable to move.

I meant from my point of view, if someone asked me before it happened if I would be scared if I woke up paralyzed I'd say yes but when it actually happened I wasn't as scared as I thought I'd be.

But mine was in the middle of the night which is probably why I drifted back to sleep.

822401[/snapback]

I see now what you meant kthxbye

and yes i agree with that nameless.

I'd say that it's more unnerving than scary (unless you're one of those unfortunate souls who deals with hallucinations on top of the paralysis).

Over the past few months, I've been getting the occasional sleep paralysis episode. Up until earlier this summer, I'd never experienced them. I'll share a few stories when I'm not about to collapse from exhaustion, provided you guys are interested; they might help to give you some idea of what it's like.

Edited by sofia

Ok, here are my experiences with sleep paralysis, believe it or not. I used to suffer from it a few times a week, no joke. Not to much anymore, more like once every month or two. Some times, I would see a weird old lady (that's why it is often referred to as Old Hag syndrome), but plenty of times would see nothing and just feel paralyzed. At first it would really, I mean really screw with my head. Here is where people may not believe me... I started reading material on lucid dreaming and began using my paralysis to trigger a lucid dream (but that's a whole different story). I can definitely see how people may believe that the paralysis is some sort of alien encounter, and I do believe that to alot of people that is probably all it is.

Hi-My name is Derek, Im 23 and I both come from and live in Dublin in Ireland----Its never occured to me to search for a forum about sleep paralysis before for some reason but sure enough when i did i found one straight away....

Ive been experiencing sleep paralysis for around 5 or 6 years now, I was lucky enough to have watched a program on tv about it soon after it happened to me because i really couldnt figure out what was happening at the time---Each time i awoke from my sleep I was 100% convinced what i had just dreamt, Had actually just happened---The paralysis which most people experience is the one where youre lying in your bed and you cant move no matter what you try--then eventually you CAN move and you wonder why you couldnt before but what you dont realise is that you were in fact "dreaming you couldnt move" and you werent awake at all- It feels so real you cant distinguish between your dream and reality

- But like in my case and so many others these "nightmares" can be much much worse--and the only way i can describe it is it being "terrifying"...Im not the squeemish type and l love horror movies and all that but nothing can prepare you for what happens when you experience this-----

I can see why this happens with people thinking they were abducted or whatever (maybe theyve an even stronger paralysis than me-who knows?!) but then again I also dont believe in aliens , devil or any super natural bull**** so i thinks its down to these people being a bit too simple for their own good and narrow minded....

Is the explaination not when your brain wakes before your body or something??

I only told people about my paralysis for the first time recently in 5/6 years-was afraid everyone would think im nuts!!!

What is the lucid dream--believe it or not i can usually control what happens in my dreams when i get the paralysis---Some1 said earlier they used to get it a lot more often than they do now----exactly same as me -i used to get it almost every night or 2nd night for years--now its prob once every few weeks!!

Ah sleep paralysis. Perhaps the definitive answer to alien abduction claims. To show how it is indeed possible to have sleep paralysis and feel youve been abducted let me give you two scenarios.

1. You wake up in the middle of the night paralysed and see strange lights, a humming or buzzing sound, and see aliens in your room. You are terrified. You unknowningly go back to sleep. You wake up in the moring and think you were abducted, so you go to a hypnotherapist. Under hypnosis your memories are manipulated by the hypnotherapist and then they are influenced by sci fi shows and movies that you may have seen, and what do you know! You have a false memory of abduction!

2. You have the sleep paralysis episode described above and you unknowingly go to sleep. You start having vivid dreams about the hallucinations you saw in your room. Every bit of sci fi material you have seen comes back to you as your dream. You dream the stereotypical abduction scenario, which you thought of because of the media. Also, I think the sexual content of abductions is based on the American focus on sex. So, you wake up the next morning and are sure you were abducted. In a state of paranoia you search your body for any unusual marks. You find three masquito bites and think one thing: alien needles! You also go to a hypnotherapist and get your memories further manipulated.

Also, if alien abductions are real, why does no one witness them? You would think that a flying saucer levetating over a house and shining and ultrahigh intensity light into it while at the same time levetating a person into the ship would be witnessed by a neighbor!

Also interesting is that before aliens became popular people used to describe this experience as visits from evil forces, ghosts, witches, or basically whatever myth is believed at the time. Now, only after the American sci fi boom, we have people describing this same experience as "alien abduction". People are just too influenced by pop culture and this alien stuff is a good example.

Edited by Skeptic102

The reason i joined today by the way is because i had sleep paralysis over and over again all through the night 2 nights ago(hard to explain) and i thought its about time i talked to people about it that had similar experiences---I was up all night-2 nites ago-with sleep paralysis ,getting it over and over again all through the night waking up sweating -thinking some1/something was in the house every time i woke up so right there and then in the middle of the night i phoned my boss(hes more of a mate) to tell him i was stressed out and wouldnt be in the next morning... Finally morning came and first thing i got up and rang him again and apologised for calling him in the middle of the night--he said --"what are you on about? , you never called me!"......im totally sane by the way (well maybe going mad at this stage!)so imagine what it feels for something like that to happen

Very good analogy skeptic--thats exactly how i would see it happening also---OUtside influences have always affected my sleep paralysis--its down to the work and imagination of the brain at the end of the day and nothing else