Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Evidence That Jesus Was Married (1)

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#106    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,018 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

There were other Jewish sects like the Essenes that did not  marry, we really don`t know what sect Jesus belong to. The frist to baptize Jesus was John the bapist and nothing was ever said that he was married.

http://aramaicherald...-of-christ.html

#107    Ben Masada

Ben Masada

Poltergeist

• 2,448 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 24 January 2013 - 02:38 AM, said:

I've tried.  Your response usually takes one of two roads:

1- "Jesus couldn't have said that, therefore the New Testament is wrong/lying/pious forgery".

2- "Paul was a Hellenistic Jew who incorporated Greek mythology into his beliefs".

No matter what I say to support my view, you will dismiss either Jesus or Paul or both.  And in the process you will continuously claim that Christians believe such and such, and even when Christians turn up and say "We don't believe that", you will stubbornly hold to your view and demand that we accede to your outlook.  And while I agree that some Christians believe what you claim they believe, it is by no means a universal understanding.

Therefore, I wash my hands of this entire debate.  There is no point in discussing with someone who refuses to listen to the other side of the debate.  Best wishes,

~ Regards, PA

Well my friend, I cannot accept the opinions and views of the other side just to show good will interfaith. If something shocks with my understanding we have got to discuss further. If I disagree it is not just for the sake of disagreement. I give the proper quote to prove my assertions. Jesus was a Jewish man. To use him to promote Christianity, you must provide a reason without the shadow of a
contradiction. That's simple Logic.

Ben

#108    Ben Masada

Ben Masada

Poltergeist

• 2,448 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

View Postminera, on 24 January 2013 - 05:33 AM, said:

What exactly is the big deal if Jesus was married or not. He was after all a man. Not one word in the bible about him being celibate or having other interests than females. It is insulting to all women that we are referred to as something not important and hanging out with a bunch of guys all the time is acceptable. But then the Catholic church is a great example of that. Whether he was married or not should not make any difference in who he was and who he represented.

Minera, I agree with you up to the point: "Whether Jesus was married or not should not make any difference in who he was and what he represented." Perhaps not to you but to the the fact that he was a Jewish man, it makes a lot of a difference. A Jewish child, from age 13 or "Bar Mitzvah" he starts being mentally prepared for marriage, according to the first commandment to leave his mother and father and join a wife to be with her one flesh. (Gen. 2:24) Then, we have Jesus in Mat. 5:17-19 declaring that he came to fulfill all the laws. Obviously, he must have fulfilled the very first commandment too. Then, marriage only enhances a man's credibility, especially if he was a Jewish teacher or Rabbi whose professions one could not perform as a single man. If indeed he was not married,
it must either be stated in the text that he was NOT married or admitted that there is a contradiction.

Ben

#109    sslama

sslama

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 96 posts

• Say what you mean and mean what you say....that way I know who you are and what you stand for!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

True....Jesus was a good person, no doubt about that.  What I don't like is the re-telling of the story to suit a few people hell bent on controlling the masses.  Now maybe it was a necessary step to show us the way but I think we are past that stage now and don't really need those stories anymore.   We are mature and we are starting to see the writing on the wall.   Just like when you believed in Santa Claus, at a certain point in your life you step back and say "Hey, wait a minute".... raindeer can't fly and it's not possible a fat man can deliver all those presents in one night and he uses the same gift wrap my Mom does....hmmmm

I'm ready for the truth!

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."

#110    Ben Masada

Ben Masada

Poltergeist

• 2,448 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 24 January 2013 - 10:24 AM, said:

Where does it say this is Mary Magdalene - it says "woman of the city"  In 7.00 Jesus entered Capernaum, following this in Luke 7:11 he entered the town of Nain.  Mary does not originate in any of these places and the "woman of the city who is a sinner" is not mentioned at all by name.  Therefore, you have yet to prove your point

And I tell you more: Both Mary's: Mary Magdalene and Mary of Bethany, the sister of Martha and Lazarus were one and the same. One is forced to admit that truth under the penalty to make the anointing of Jesus impossible to have happened. Jesus was neither a Mormon or a "Casa Nova" to be anointed by wommen wherever he was. A religious could not even be talked to by women let alone touched upon if woman was not his wife. Otherwise, Jesus was not a Jewish man.  

John 12:3 - Mary of Bethany
Mark 14:3 - Mary of Bethany
Mat. 26:6 - Mary of Bethany
Luke 7:37 - A woman known in the town to be a sinner. According to Pope Gregory VII, she was a prostitute. He was talking about Mary
Magdalene.

Then, at Calvary up to the last moments of Jesus, there stood before Jesus' cross the two Mary's: Mary the mother of Jesus and Mary Magdalene hand-in-hand with each other. Then, after Jesus was buried, Mary Magdalene went to see the sepulcher and, as she found it empty, she cried desperately asking someone who was there if he knew where they had taken Jesus so that she, Mary Magdalene could
take him away with her. Who would have such ideas if not his own wife? (John 20:15)

Ben

#111    Ben Masada

Ben Masada

Poltergeist

• 2,448 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

View Posteight bits, on 24 January 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

Ben

The burden is on the teacher to teach. It is the student's prerogative to say "Show me where that is written." It's not my OP, Ben. Do the math.

And I have shown even more than several times from logical evidences in the NT that Jesus was a married man and that his wife was Mary Magdalene who was the same as Mary of Bethany, the sister of Martha and Lazarus. So, why posters struggle to contest those evidences?

Ben

#112    Ben Masada

Ben Masada

Poltergeist

• 2,448 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

View Postdocyabut2, on 25 January 2013 - 02:15 AM, said:

Any one wonder why there was so much emphasis on Mary Magdalene, if it was not she that was the frist women Jesus had saved from stoneing.

It could not have been Mary Magdalene because to be stoned to death for adultery, the woman must be married and Mary Magdalene was not married until she became to Jesus in Cana of the Galilee. And that was a parable of Jesus to sinners not to be too ready to condemn other sinners. The event never occurred in reality. Everything about it does not make sense according to Jewish culture.

Ben

#113    Ben Masada

Ben Masada

Poltergeist

• 2,448 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

View Postlaver, on 25 January 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

Mary of Magdala is the key. From biblical and other texts she was the messenger, companion and confidant of Jesus but what were they being so confidential about? Did it relate to her town Magdala on the Sea of Galilee? Next to Magdala is a mountain called Mount Abel and Jesus had a special mountain in this area which Mary of Magdala directs the Apostles to. (Matthew 28). What was so special about this mountain that Jesus chose as a meeting place? It is a special location and the reason must have been known to Jesus and Mary of Magdala.

IMHO, Mary Magdalene lived two kinds of life. In Magdala according to her profession as a courtesan and in Bethany where she had her family home. Somehow, she would not allow one to influence the other. Then, after already married to Jesus, she must have been recognized by the Pharisee who invited Jesus over for dinner and criticized Jesus for allowing himself to be touched by a woman "known in the town to be a sinner." The Pharisee probably did not know that they were already married. (Luke 7:37)

Ben

#114    Ben Masada

Ben Masada

Poltergeist

• 2,448 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

View Postsslama, on 28 January 2013 - 12:55 AM, said:

Hebrew law states only married men may be teachers.  Throughout the bible Jesus is called a teacher.  Especially if he taught religion.    It was the law.  If he wasn't married no one would have paid any attention to him.  I doubt people decided to ignore their laws and traditions and listen to him anyways.  Most likely he was married.  

Also when he was crucified.... Mary Magdalene was there.  Again by law the only women allowed to anoint a man are family members.  If Mary Magdalene even tried to anoint Jesus....that would have been absolutely unthinkable unless she was married to him.    So again most likely he was married to her.

The writers of the bible left out a lot I think.

And a lot must have been screened out of context in order to safeguard Jesus so-called divinity as if being married was a moral stain
in a man. Pious forgery was very common in the 4th Century to enhance Jesus credibility.

Ben

#115    Ben Masada

Ben Masada

Poltergeist

• 2,448 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

View Postdocyabut2, on 28 January 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

There were other Jewish sects like the Essenes that did not  marry, we really don`t know what sect Jesus belong to. The frist to baptize Jesus was John the bapist and nothing was ever said that he was married.

According to Josephus, the most famous Jewish Historian in the First Century, the Essenes were composed of several subsects. Only one of them that gathered in monastery-like caves would observe celibacy. Ambulant Essenes would marry and work throughout the Community immersing Jews daily in a ritual manner and somehow propagate their Jewish way of life. It is obvious that nothing is said
about jesus as a married man because to be married was the common way to live. If he had not been a married man yes, it would by necessity be said that he was NOT a married man. That's a strong evidence that he was married.

Ben

#116    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,010 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

Ben

So, why posters struggle to contest those evidences?

What evidence? You made up a story, and surrounded it with Gospel quotes that at best don't support your story, and at worst frequently conflict with it. When the complete lack of canonical support is pointed out to you, you stonewall. When you're asked for sources that support any part of your story, you stonewall.

That's what you did in the Carl Sagan thread, and what you've done since then more than once here and across the web, such as passing off a line from a famous fictional short story as a historical quote from Pontius Pilate. It's your thing, Ben. Enjoy the lulz.

Posted Image

#117    Ben Masada

Ben Masada

Poltergeist

• 2,448 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

View Postsslama, on 28 January 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

True....Jesus was a good person, no doubt about that.  What I don't like is the re-telling of the story to suit a few people hell bent on controlling the masses.  Now maybe it was a necessary step to show us the way but I think we are past that stage now and don't really need those stories anymore.   We are mature and we are starting to see the writing on the wall.   Just like when you believed in Santa Claus, at a certain point in your life you step back and say "Hey, wait a minute".... raindeer can't fly and it's not possible a fat man can deliver all those presents in one night and he uses the same gift wrap my Mom does....hmmmm

I'm ready for the truth!

What is the Truth?

#118    Ben Masada

Ben Masada

Poltergeist

• 2,448 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

View Posteight bits, on 28 January 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

BenWhat evidence? You made up a story, and surrounded it with Gospel quotes that at best don't support your story, and at worst frequently conflict with it. When the complete lack of canonical support is pointed out to you, you stonewall. When you're asked for sources that support any part of your story, you stonewall.

That's what you did in the Carl Sagan thread, and what you've done since then more than once here and across the web, such as passing off a line from a famous fictional short story as a historical quote from Pontius Pilate. It's your thing, Ben. Enjoy the lulz.

Well, why don't you demonstrate to me and to all of us that my quotes do not support my assertions? I hardly see a quote here from anyone. And when I see one, it usually has nothing to do with the issue. Let us do this, show me no more than a single quote stating
that Jesus was NOT married and I am out of the issue and one with your opinion. Let us see if your evidences are any more substantious than mine.

Ben

#119    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,010 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

Asked and answered, Ben. Please read your own thread, that is, the version of it on this site, before making replies here.

Posted Image

#120    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,018 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

View PostBen Masada, on 28 January 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

It could not have been Mary Magdalene because to be stoned to death for adultery, the woman must be married and Mary Magdalene was not married until she became to Jesus in Cana of the Galilee. And that was a parable of Jesus to sinners not to be too ready to condemn other sinners. The event never occurred in reality. Everything about it does not make sense according to Jewish culture.

Ben

The women to be stoned or Mary Magdalene`s marital status was`nt never given. Mary Magdalene was qouted as the women Jesus had saved from the seven deady sins. Do you think Jesus would have married a women he had saved from those sins?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users