Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does war and hatred make us Human?

George Ford

Are war and hatred exclusively human traits? If so, should we embrace them to become 'more' human?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GoldenWolf

• aquatus1

• Hideout

• George Ford

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about embrace, but sometimes they are necessary.

I think they are exclusive to humans. Animals are much more civilized than people.. I think I will embrace them...

I think they are exclusive to humans. Animals are much more civilized than people.. I think I will embrace them...

Not true, chimpanzees have been observed 'going to war' with neighboring groups and claiming their territory, even sharpening sticks into rudimentary spears for hunting. I don't know about any other animals though, maybe it's just a simian thing. :hmm:

I understand your sentiment, but actually animals aren't peaceful at all, they however are protected by instinct, we are not.

Peace

mark

Are war and hatred exclusively human traits?

Not really, no. Depends on what we are calling animals and what we are calling wars, but at least we know of several members of the ape family who proactively plan out military attacks to raid and conquer enemy territory, and on several occasions crows big cats have been shown an active ferocity towards a given stimulus.

If so, should we embrace them to become 'more' human?

Can't imagine why. If we are going to embrace a human trait, let's do it to our ability to clean up after our mistakes. No other animal even bothers.

No, war and hatred make us just like any other animal. Lions kill rival lion's cubs, chimpanzee groups attack other chimpanzee groups, and most species fight (and sometimes kill) each other over resources such as food, mates, territory, etc.

I feel human without going to war.

Just an addition: Animals are more likely to do that because of their instinct.

We have just an instinct, too, but we have more choices to make!!!

Edited by Guest

Are war and hatred exclusively human traits? If so, should we embrace them to become 'more' human?

There is no such thing as more human. Genetically, human is human. Or are you suggesting a species more evolved that human? In natural selection, the winner evolves. Most of the time, war is origined from greed is has nothing to do with gene, but society influence. Just because you go to a war doesn't mean that you are any more evolve than anyone else. But those who win a war and keep on living (until he breeds) will transfer his genes (good and bad) to the descendants. One could have good genes but unlucky and die in war, one could have very bad gene but survive in war... It's total random

Hatred can be seen plenty in animals.

War is the result of civilization, which is exclusive to humans. War and civilization aren't a genetic part of us, and the former should never be embraced.

War happens so much because of our ability to organize and our capacity for violence.

Animals have plenty capacity for violence, but less ability to organize.

Not true, chimpanzees have been observed 'going to war' with neighboring groups and claiming their territory, even sharpening sticks into rudimentary spears for hunting. I don't know about any other animals though, maybe it's just a simian thing. :hmm:

Chimpanzees don't make nuclear weapons.

Nuclear weapons don't make a war. Heck, out of all the wars in history, there was only one in which such things were used, and they were atomic.

The only thing unique to mankind is a positive I already mentioned.

You would think that humans are intelligent and wouldn't have a need for mindless wars

Chimpanzees don't make nuclear weapons.

I'm sure if they had the capability they would.

You would think that humans are intelligent and wouldn't have a need for mindless wars

Intelligence doesn't imply pacifism. It just makes it so that we can think of new ways to kill each other and satisfy our base instincts to be the Alpha.

The martial spirit has had it's evolutionary advantages, whether that will continue to apply in our times and into the future is unclear to me.

It just makes it so that we can think of new ways to kill each other and satisfy our base instincts to be the Alpha.

That is an animal instinct

Edited by HavocWing

No, war is not a human trait, but it is also important to know why wars do happen. What did the wars of the past 20 years about? The fear of losing territory? Survival? Just as conflict happen between other animals, so do our conflicts have causes and interests...