Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How Can You Not be Afraid of Death?

Voyager

Having grown up around Christians all of my life, one pervading attitude among them is "Even if it's not true, at least I believed something." But the fact is, no one has ever died before and come back to tell about it. And the many people who claim to have done so, you have to go by their word of mouth.

I often hear people say they're not afraid of death, but I think at least some of these people are trying to look macho. I'm not going to lie though, I am afraid of death; only because I don't know for sure what's going to happen afterward. If I knew for sure, I don't think I would be afraid.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aaron Whisman

• Voyager

• clockworkgirl21

• Xanthurion2

Very simple, I know I'll kick off sooner or later and that most likely that will be it (there might be a surprise) and my attitude to it is irrelevant. I just hope it is before I vegetize around for 20 years due to Alzheimer's or similar, which is what I am really afraid of.

I'm not afraid of death.

I'm not looking forward to it. I don't want it to hurt. I don't want it prolonged.

But not afraid.

Nibs

Remember before you were born? It's going to be exactly like that.

With less to look forward to.

But you won't be bothered by this fact, because the self will no longer exist.

Every person I have seen that was close to death was very much afraid. It didn't matter what religion they were either.

I am willing to bet good hard earned cash that those who claim to not be afraid will very much change their mind when the time draws near.

Every person I have seen that was close to death was very much afraid. It didn't matter what religion they were either.

I am willing to bet good hard earned cash that those who claim to not be afraid will very much change their mind when the time draws near.

I'll probably be the same, I just assumed (possibly incorrectly) that the OP meant right now.

Nibs

That has always amazed me too, the arrogance of those who claim they are Christians and believe that they have absolution and are off to happy land when they die...considering the stiff stipulations that God has about those who get through the gate...

I'll take that bet.

I'm not afraid of death. I'm afraid of dying, but not death. Dying can be a process that in some cases take a very long time. Death itself is what happens when the dying bit is over. I do not fear that.

I will kill myself before letting my self die slowly as a useless, unproductive mass lying in a bed somewhere. People need to realize that we are just animals, impermanence is the only thing we can ever be sure of, and fear will control you for the entirety of your life if you allow it.

"Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not. Why should I fear that which cannot exist when I do?" -Epicurus

This quote changed my view of death the second I read it.

I am not afraid.

The way I see it is thus.

Can I prevent it?

- No.

Can I know what will happen?

- No.

Do the above two facts prvent me from living my life as I wish?

- No.

So why should I worry about it?

I often hear people say they're not afraid of death, but I think at least some of these people are trying to look macho. I'm not going to lie though, I am afraid of death; only because I don't know for sure what's going to happen afterward. If I knew for sure, I don't think I would be afraid.[/size][/color]

I reckon that you are only afraid of death if you have things left undone, or things left unsaid. If you have nothing left to do, then life becomes meaningless. To be honest, I have done all that I have every wanted to do in this life. I have no regrets, and if I were to die right now, then so be it. If I could choose the child to bring into the world to replace me and recieve my remaining surplus of resources and oxygen, I'd pick and go(said child would then do more than what I have, with a third of the difficulty and do it better by several orders of magnitude)

No sense sticking around if there's a more peaceful eternity waiting, eh? Least I don't have to worry about the rent!

The most important thing to do before dying is to give a trusted friend your computer password so he/she can delete your browser history :)

This is what I think. Because right now, as I sit here at my computer, I'm not afraid of death. Why? Because the odds that I will die righ tnow are very slim. I perceive death to be afar off, so I'm not threatened by it. But I'm pretty sure that if I was lying somewhere and gasping for air, that I would be panicing in all kinds of terror! That is the reality of death; it's not pretty.

I'm incined to believe that anyone who says they don;t fear death is saying it out of their own prideful ego. It's like the "I fear no man but God" cliche.' You have to fear your boss at work if you want to get that paycheck. The fact that you are a law abiding citizen proves that you fear/reverence the higher authorities that be.

There is an order to everything, and fear is a natural emotion and a warning/protection mechanism.

The most important thing to do before dying is to give a trusted friend your computer password so he/she can delete your browser history :)

LOL... true

Because I accept death as a part of the nature, as a part of my life

Because I see death not something bad : without death, birth is meaningless, without destruction, creation is meaningless

When people say they are afraid of death, they usually mean that they are afraid of the moment of dying (to get hurt, the pain, etc...)

To answer to that question, answer this question : why do someone, something, some animals want to live, try to survive so badly?

Edited by FlyingAngel

Having grown up around Christians all of my life, one pervading attitude among them is "Even if it's not true, at least I believed something." But the fact is, no one has ever died before and come back to tell about it. And the many people who claim to have done so, you have to go by their word of mouth.

I often hear people say they're not afraid of death, but I think at least some of these people are trying to look macho. I'm not going to lie though, I am afraid of death; only because I don't know for sure what's going to happen afterward. If I knew for sure, I don't think I would be afraid.

It's like being asleep and you don't wake up.

I used to be afraid of death, but after reading people's accounts of near-death experiences (remarkably consistent despite religions or situations), it's really quite peaceful. As others have said, the pain of dying would be more scary than death itself, and I would be sad about leaving loved ones behind (for then, anyway).

I can understand why someone might be afraid to experience a seemingly infinite DMT trip in the last seconds of life.

But you shouldn't waste time fearing the inevitable.

I wanted to commit suicide at age 10 or 11, so my earliest memory of death was looking forward to it. I'm on antidepressants now, so my attitude towards it has changed. I'm scared of dying, since that might include being very sick or in a lot of pain, but of actually being dead? I'm not that concerned.

Death shouldn't be feared....it should be treated as an adventure seeing as nobody knows what happens when we die....

If there been any pill that could have freed us from useless worries of dying than it would have helped the humanity a lot to focus on what they are doing is good or bad to improve over it, because it will be more helpful for all of us.

"Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not. Why should I fear that which cannot exist when I do?" -Epicurus

This quote changed my view of death the second I read it.

My head hurts now

I'll take that bet.

I'm not afraid of death. I'm afraid of dying, but not death. Dying can be a process that in some cases take a very long time. Death itself is what happens when the dying bit is over. I do not fear that.

I would go along with that. The afterwards is not something that worries me at all. It's the getting there that scares me. After all, I managed not to exist quite happily for 13 billion years before I was born, so will surely be able to take over from where I left off once I 'pop my clogs'.