Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spirit Stones - 40's and 50's in WA Australia

Sunny Day

I did a few searches of the forums for information and/or theories on the so-called "Spirit Stones" which are told to have rained down on some aboriginal settlements and farms in the south west corner of Australia back in the 1940's and 1950's.

I watched a documentry aired by the ABC awhile ago and it got my brain ticking over.

http://www.abc.net.a...2009T213000.htm

Anyway, I'm interested to hear others views on these and if it has occurred anywhere else. One possible theory is that the aboriginals living there were unhappy with how the land was being used etc so created the mystery themselves to send a message to the white settlers? Did that involve group trickery or group hallucination or did the group's cranky energy cause it (like a poltergueist might?)

So what do you think?

P.S. Be gentle with me, I'm new here... I've seen some forum posters get the stuffing knocked out of them on their first few posts :st

• Like 1

Hi sunny day.

Welcome to UM!. :)

I've heard a similar story that came out of Australia back in the same era about a house being pelted by big boulders out of the blue sky. This didn't just happen as a once off either, it happened again and again over several years and the farmers ended up leaving. I think the place was somewhere near alice springs.. I think something similar occured in scotland some years later.

Thanks for replying Professor T. You could be thinking of the same story as the stones went on for weeks and seemed to 'follow' a particular farm worker, even when he moved to a new farm. The rocks ranged in size but all fell softly and were warm to touch.

So did you have a theory on what might have been going on? The weird parts are when the witnesses say that the rocks/pebbles would just fall down seemingly from the ceiling and that it occurred inside and outside, but no one was hurt by them or windows broken etc. So even if it was part hallucination and part reality it's still v. strange. What was going on? :unsure2:

I got all excited to see Brian Topp had replied, expecting a nice clear explanation of what had occurred... ah well... maybe next time.

Ninhursag, You're welcome. I'm glad it's given you something to think about. :tu:

I got all excited to see Brian Topp had replied, expecting a nice clear explanation of what had occurred... ah well... maybe next time.

Ninhursag, You're welcome. I'm glad it's given you something to think about. :tu:

I am an australian and born in wa. I heard this story before i heard about the documentry and i really don't want to get into it. It's the type of crap you hear at the pubs when people got bored of talking about sports, cars and women. It's a story.

Edited by Brian Topp

I am an australian and born in wa. I heard this story before i heard about the documentry and i really don't want to get into it. It's the type of crap you hear at the pubs when people got bored of talking about sports, cars and women. It's a story.

Ok, thanks anyway.

• 5 months later...

Brian's not right here. The Spirit Stones documentary covers mysterious stone throwing events in the Pumphreys/Mayanup area in the late 50s, and as part of a book on Australian Poltergeists I'm working on with a colleague we went back over all the local (WA) press material, recorded interviews with participants (there are a few and some Ive done), as well as going on site to talk to some of the participants. The remarkable case was actually spread over four farms and was particularly intense from 1955-57, recurred sporadically through the 60s and persists in a less dramatic form to the present day. The stone falls were witnessed by hundreds of people, and I've spoken to quite a few. The best summary of the case is in Helen Hacks book 'The Mystery of the Mayanup Poltergeist' (sometimes on eBay). Very few polt cases are as well documented. Its a long case to summarise but in general the witnesses observed hundreds of stone and other objects falling apparanetly out of nowhere. My view is that there is zero chance this impressive case was a hoax. Cheers P.

• Like 1

fellow west aussie :)

• 6 months later...

Hi, I forgot I posted this and then went off UM for about 12 months. I still wonder about this sometimes. Shame you only ever did one post Crops. Feel quite honoured it was my first ever UM topic you chose to post to though :-*

Hi, I forgot I posted this and then went off UM for about 12 months. I still wonder about this sometimes. Shame you only ever did one post Crops. Feel quite honoured it was my first ever UM topic you chose to post to though :-*

I did do some more research incase this got necroposted.

in the 1940 to 1950s they were still clearing the land for transport and full human settlement. During this time, Trees were being cleared and a lot of the land suffered sandstorms. The land itself has been reported of having sand storms with rocks such as Flint glass.

The stories became twisted and people started claiming it rained on its own.

• Like 1

Well thankyou Brian, I appreciate your effort. I can understand how stories get re-told and things get exaggerated (especially at the local). It does seem to be the case here, sadly. I really wanted there to be something in this... :td:

Ah well.. will keep looking...

Crops, if you're still reading this, can you let me know more about your book once it's finished? Would make an interesting read no matter what the truth turns out to be. Best of luck with it. I'll try track down the Helen Hacks book too. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I did do some more research incase this got necroposted.

in the 1940 to 1950s they were still clearing the land for transport and full human settlement. During this time, Trees were being cleared and a lot of the land suffered sandstorms. The land itself has been reported of having sand storms with rocks such as Flint glass.

The stories became twisted and people started claiming it rained on its own.

You're explanation is as hard to believe as the original story. Someone would have to be the stupidest person on the planet to confuse sandstorm driven rocks with poltergeist activity. The American dust bowl suffered catastrophic dust and sand storms and rocks were never involved. The wind needed to carry rocks in large numbers for long distances would need to be very, very high and sustained. There would be no mistaking what was going on.

I know you want desperately to come up with an answer, but you are better off just not providing one rather than posing absurd explanations.

You're explanation is as hard to believe as the original story. Someone would have to be the stupidest person on the planet to confuse sandstorm driven rocks with poltergeist activity. The American dust bowl suffered catastrophic dust and sand storms and rocks were never involved. The wind needed to carry rocks in large numbers for long distances would need to be very, very high and sustained. There would be no mistaking what was going on.

I know you want desperately to come up with an answer, but you are better off just not providing one rather than posing absurd explanations.

I see you are back to your trolling ways.

Good luck.

• Like 1

tedthebug, I finally actually read the article and it was interesting in that it said the rocks hit hard enough to break windows etc. The Aussie stories sometimes involve warm pebbles coming seemingly from the ceiling at times in a soft manner. Thanks for the link.

So now, unfortunately, I am less and less inclined to see much truth to the stories. The thing with Aussies is, we likes our booze. A lot, a LOT(!) of alcohol gets drunk down the local and some people are quite competitive. Meaning, the story gets bigger and bigger each telling. That's why, when Brian reminded me of this (correct) information, I sat here nodding sadly. Aside from that, the Aborigines are very spiritual and have their own beliefs which would have, no doubt, added influence as well.

Ordinary Clay, I do think you are being a bit rude to Brian. There's room here for everyone's explanation. I appreciate everyone's input as it looks at this from all angles. :tu:

• Like 2

tedthebug, I finally actually read the article and it was interesting in that it said the rocks hit hard enough to break windows etc. The Aussie stories sometimes involve warm pebbles coming seemingly from the ceiling at times in a soft manner. Thanks for the link.

So now, unfortunately, I am less and less inclined to see much truth to the stories. The thing with Aussies is, we likes our booze. A lot, a LOT(!) of alcohol gets drunk down the local and some people are quite competitive. Meaning, the story gets bigger and bigger each telling. That's why, when Brian reminded me of this (correct) information, I sat here nodding sadly. Aside from that, the Aborigines are very spiritual and have their own beliefs which would have, no doubt, added influence as well.

Ordinary Clay, I do think you are being a bit rude to Brian. There's room here for everyone's explanation. I appreciate everyone's input as it looks at this from all angles. :tu:

Hi,

1) I don't know if the stories are true or not. I have not vetted the testimonies to establish whether I place any stock in them.

2) I don't care if any one believes the stories or not. It all boils down to whether someone believes the testimony, considering the purported events are not empirically studiedly.

3) My post simply pointed out the absurdity of the counter explanation. This was not being rude.

Hi,

1) I don't know if the stories are true or not. I have not vetted the testimonies to establish whether I place any stock in them.

2) I don't care if any one believes the stories or not. It all boils down to whether someone believes the testimony, considering the purported events are not empirically studiedly.

3) My post simply pointed out the absurdity of the counter explanation. This was not being rude.

1. Yes but you utterly disagree with out doing any research yourself (as per usual)

2. Yes you did, you wouldn't of posted here.

3. You didn't research to disprove it, you just wanted to stir the pot.

• Like 1

1. Yes but you utterly disagree with out doing any research yourself (as per usual)

2. Yes you did, you wouldn't of posted here.

3. You didn't research to disprove it, you just wanted to stir the pot.

I am familiar with what occurred in the American dust bowl, and what was carried by the wind and what was deposited. It does not require research to know that it takes high velocity winds to lift and carry rocks for long distances. It is common sense to conclude a person would be a fool to mistake winds of sufficient velocity and duration to carry these rocks with paranormal activity.

I am familiar with what occurred in the American dust bowl, and what was carried by the wind and what was deposited. It does not require research to know that it takes high velocity winds to lift and carry rocks for long distances. It is common sense to conclude a person would be a fool to mistake winds of sufficient velocity and duration to carry these rocks with paranormal activity.

I never said long distances, You added that yourself. And it is not a paranormal ability.

You Need to reread what i said

Edited by Brian Topp
  • Like 1

The stories from America differ from the stories from Australia, as I mentioned above.

I been talking 'pebbles', you been talking 'rocks'. No wonder people get into arguments around here, sheesh.

1. Since I was the OP I just wanted to update others on my view.

2. I don't care if any one believes the stories or not. It all boils down to whether someone believes the testimony, considering the purported events are not empirically studiedly [sic]

3. The use of numbered points seems a little unnecessary TBH.

So in summary, I don't care, you don't care and I'm betting Brian don't care. We'll all go our separate ways for now.

The stories from America differ from the stories from Australia, as I mentioned above.

I been talking 'pebbles', you been talking 'rocks'. No wonder people get into arguments around here, sheesh.

2. I don't care if any one believes the stories or not. It all boils down to whether someone believes the testimony, considering the purported events are not empirically studiedly [sic]

So in summary, I don't care, you don't care and I'm betting Brian don't care. We'll all go our separate ways for now.

I am refering to pebbles also.

• Like 1

I never said long distances, You added that yourself. And it is not a paranormal ability.

You Need to reread what i said

The thread is available for everyone to reread.

Stones from blue skies implies distance.

The documentary you stated called them stones. So what size "pebbles" are you referring to?

Edited by OrdinaryClay

oh now you trying to be ignorant. ok ordinary, you are just being an instigator as usual and no matter what I say, what research i show you will try and make a fight out of it. as stated australians are prone to embellish, you arent australian, you aren't even educated about the events that happened.

I swear, you and zoser are relatives.

• Like 2