Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Martian dust storm affecting rovers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    Owlscrying

Owlscrying

• 13,909 posts

•    

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:14 AM

July 4
Pasadena, Cali. - A powerful dust storm on Mars has worsened and is affecting two roving robots' operations on the Red Planet, mission scientists said.

The storm, which has been brewing for a week, has partially blocked the sun. The rovers, Spirit and Opportunity, rely on sunlight to charge their batteries.

The regional storm is the worst to hit the rovers since they landed on opposite ends of Mars in 2004 and scientists expect the storm to last for at least another week.

"The storm is affecting both rovers and reducing the power levels on Opportunity," project manager John Callas of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory said in a statement posted on the space agency's website.

Opportunity scaled back operations June 30 to conserve energy.  

The storm has already delayed Opportunity's descent into Victoria Crater to learn more about the planet's geological past. Scientists hoped to send the rover into the crater this weekend but weather has pushed the entry back until at least July 13.
go

#2    Sun Raven

Sun Raven

Alpha & Omega

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

• I am the master of my fate.
    I am the captain of my soul

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:51 PM

Well this was already predicted, and now it happened... it is true that the rovers are especially designed for Mars but they are not perfect since human created them.

Posted Image

Sun Raven

#3    ROGER

ROGER

Government Agent

• 3,502 posts

• Sticks and stone didnt break my bone,
    But old age is starting to Hurt me!

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:52 PM

I wonder if they program timed movements to keep the rovers on top of the sand. To let them sit for to long may bury them to the piont they are unable to move.

We pray for one last landing/ On the planet that gave us birth/ Let us rest our eyes on the fleecy skies/ And the cool, green hills of Earth.
Robert A. Heinlein

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users