Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

Celebrities on gun control

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16    Sixth

Sixth

Poltergeist

• 2,311 posts

• Scientists get funky about having their research poached

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

This delusion that Americans have a 'right' to own a gun is about as idiotic as people saying celebrities don't have a right to express an opinion. Even if they are wrong or don't conform to your own ideals, they are entitled to a view point as much as the rest of you. Celebrities don't necessarily see themselves as something 'a part' - the public does, and that enables this ideal.  Of course they've started believing their own press! Look around at all the idiots to who eat all up.

do your palms ever itch?

#17    MstrMsn

MstrMsn

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

• "If you don't like the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question!"

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

View PostWalter White, on 03 January 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

It depends on the whether the actors in the PSA are seen to be glamorizing gun violence in a "hey, aren't guns cool!!!" fashion in the films they star in, then I could agree on a charge of hypocrisy.

If the character they're portraying is a cop or a soldier who at one point in a film has to use a gun (i.e. Julianne Moore in the clip from "Hannibal") then I don't think they're a hypocrite for speaking out against guns.

Sir Anthony Hopkins played a cannibal in "Silence of the Lambs", doesn't make him a hypocrite if he says cannibalism is bad.

If actors were as truly anti-gun as they claim, they can make the choice not to be in a movie or tv show that has them using guns. And they chose the almighty dollar over actually sticking to their "beliefs", which in turn makes them look exactly like what they are - hypocrites.

There are plenty of actors out there that don't take roles that go against their ideals. And there are plenty out there that are aware of the real problem with gun violence, that have no issues using them on camera.

We are born with 2 fears: Falling, and loud noises, all others are LEARNED.
You say fear is all in the mind. I say you are right; for it is our imagination that makes things seem scary.
If you want to learn how to not be afraid, ask.

#18    MstrMsn

MstrMsn

Psychic Spy

• 1,023 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

View PostAramis, on 04 January 2013 - 06:21 AM, said:

This delusion that Americans have a 'right' to own a gun is about as idiotic as people saying celebrities don't have a right to express an opinion. Even if they are wrong or don't conform to your own ideals, they are entitled to a view point as much as the rest of you. Celebrities don't necessarily see themselves as something 'a part' - the public does, and that enables this ideal.  Of course they've started believing their own press! Look around at all the idiots to who eat all up.

How is it a "delusion" when the Second Amendment of our Constitution provides this right?

You say fear is all in the mind. I say you are right; for it is our imagination that makes things seem scary.

#19    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

• "He will regret it but once, and that will be continuously." - J.E.B. Stuart

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

View PostMstrMsn, on 04 January 2013 - 07:24 AM, said:

If actors were as truly anti-gun as they claim, they can make the choice not to be in a movie or tv show that has them using guns. And they chose the almighty dollar over actually sticking to their "beliefs", which in turn makes them look exactly like what they are - hypocrites.

There are plenty of actors out there that don't take roles that go against their ideals. And there are plenty out there that are aware of the real problem with gun violence, that have no issues using them on camera.
But we have actors who in the past have played Nazis, racists, "evil" republicans (not to conflate republicanism with nazism or racism), none of which are the ideals of the stock hollywood actor.  We don't accuse Leonardo Di Caprio of hypocrisy because he plays the role of a racist when in the real world he abhors racism.  Why should we treat actors who want stricter gun laws any different when/if they fire a few rounds in a film?

If an anti-gun actor starred in a film which had a strictly pro-gun message, or sought to glamorise guns, then he or she is a hypocrite no doubt.  You'll have no argument from me there.

But not every film which contains guns is pro-guns or an attempt to glamorize their usage, and an actor is free to partake in such films without their character being called into question.

"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union.  It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for it's preservation." - General Robert E. Lee

"I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." - Major General William Tecumseh Sherman

#20    F3SS

F3SS

Her name is Jodi :)

• 7,612 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

View PostMstrMsn, on 04 January 2013 - 07:26 AM, said:

How is it a "delusion" when the Second Amendment of our Constitution provides this right?
A couple of guesses. The constitution is an old piece of paper that can and should be done away with or whittled down. She doesn't have that right so neither should we and people who don't live in America know best. She thinks the world is safer with stricter gun laws against mounds of evidence to the contrary. Or, she's right and this is all a dream and we are delusional to think we have a right that we don't really have but we really do so yea, a reactionary nonsensical comment at its best.

Posted Image

#21    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,890 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 03 January 2013 - 10:47 PM, said:

Of course they do. More and more it seems the real liberal stance on gun control here is that guns are ok but just not for other people.

Well, that is the liberal stance my friend.

"It's okay for us to have secret service, hired bodyguards that protect our children, and concealed permits for ourselves.

But you can't have guns to protect yourself or your children."

All the while the media says we should ban assault rifles - when picking up semi-automatic guns.

Referring to them as fully automatic guns.

All while the DHS has gathered 1,800,000,000 rounds of hollow point ammunition.

All the while the government is persecuting those who stockpile guns and ammunition; preppers, as "terrorists".

Dark times are definitely ahead..

Edited by Eonwe, 05 January 2013 - 12:23 AM.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#22    MstrMsn

MstrMsn

Psychic Spy

• 1,023 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

View PostWalter White, on 04 January 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

But we have actors who in the past have played Nazis, racists, "evil" republicans (not to conflate republicanism with nazism or racism), none of which are the ideals of the stock hollywood actor.  We don't accuse Leonardo Di Caprio of hypocrisy because he plays the role of a racist when in the real world he abhors racism.  Why should we treat actors who want stricter gun laws any different when/if they fire a few rounds in a film?

If an anti-gun actor starred in a film which had a strictly pro-gun message, or sought to glamorise guns, then he or she is a hypocrite no doubt.  You'll have no argument from me there.

But not every film which contains guns is pro-guns or an attempt to glamorize their usage, and an actor is free to partake in such films without their character being called into question.

Most movies that contain guns are pure action movies (or war), and not meant to convey any kind of message. Few war movies in the last decade had a message, and these were movies like "We were Soldiers", "The Big Red One" and "The Thin Red Line" - and the message was more from a "this is what it was like for us, so you can know our story".... huge difference than a special interest thrown into an action movie (like Seagal did in most of his later films).

Also, you're opening and closing comments basically solidify my statement about they care more for the dollar, than their so called ideals. A few years ago it was gay rights, now it's guns, and next will be something else for them. To them, it's nothing more than a fad. They really don't care one way or another - they only care about what makes them money.

#23    MstrMsn

MstrMsn

Psychic Spy

• 1,023 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 04 January 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

A couple of guesses. The constitution is an old piece of paper that can and should be done away with or whittled down. She doesn't have that right so neither should we and people who don't live in America know best. She thinks the world is safer with stricter gun laws against mounds of evidence to the contrary. Or, she's right and this is all a dream and we are delusional to think we have a right that we don't really have but we really do so yea, a reactionary nonsensical comment at its best.

The funny thing, while Canada may be very selective with who they issue permits to own handguns to, they still do. Rifles, shotguns... yep, they have them, too.

#24    F3SS

F3SS

• 7,612 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostMstrMsn, on 05 January 2013 - 07:51 AM, said:

The funny thing, while Canada may be very selective with who they issue permits to own handguns to, they still do. Rifles, shotguns... yep, they have them, too.
Ok, now you're being delusional.

Posted Image

#25    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,267 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Quick check reveals yes they have them. No delusion.

Edited by Stardrive, 05 January 2013 - 05:17 PM.

Posted Image

#26    F3SS

F3SS

• 7,612 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

I know, I was being funny. Haha.

Posted Image

#27    MstrMsn

MstrMsn

Psychic Spy

• 1,023 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 05 January 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

I know, I was being funny. Haha.

Made me chuckle.

The only thing I was ever delusional about was think the Red Sox were a good baseball team.

#28    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

• "He will regret it but once, and that will be continuously." - J.E.B. Stuart

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

View PostMstrMsn, on 05 January 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

Most movies that contain guns are pure action movies (or war), and not meant to convey any kind of message. Few war movies in the last decade had a message, and these were movies like "We were Soldiers", "The Big Red One" and "The Thin Red Line" - and the message was more from a "this is what it was like for us, so you can know our story".... huge difference than a special interest thrown into an action movie (like Seagal did in most of his later films).
That's my point, these films don't offer a judgement on whether civilians in America should be restricted in what guns they can or can't have (or if they should have them at all), a lot of films which contain guns don't offer that judgement either.  So I don't think it's hypocrisy for an actor who does believe that gun control should be restricted, to appear with a gun in these types of movies.

I'm not familiar with Seagal films so I can't say in that respect.  The only one I do know but not very well is the one with Tommy Lee Jones on a boat.:)

The only thing I was ever delusional about was think the Red Sox were a good baseball team.
I thought the Red Sox were good?  Then again '07 was a long time ago now and I don't watch Baseball much to be honest.:)

Edited by Walter White, 07 January 2013 - 01:06 AM.

"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union.  It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for it's preservation." - General Robert E. Lee

"I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." - Major General William Tecumseh Sherman

#29    MstrMsn

MstrMsn

Psychic Spy

• 1,023 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:52 AM

View PostWalter White, on 07 January 2013 - 01:00 AM, said:

That's my point, these films don't offer a judgement on whether civilians in America should be restricted in what guns they can or can't have (or if they should have them at all), a lot of films which contain guns don't offer that judgement either.  So I don't think it's hypocrisy for an actor who does believe that gun control should be restricted, to appear with a gun in these types of movies.

I'm not familiar with Seagal films so I can't say in that respect.  The only one I do know but not very well is the one with Tommy Lee Jones on a boat. :)

I thought the Red Sox were good?  Then again '07 was a long time ago now and I don't watch Baseball much to be honest. :)

You aren't missing anything by not seeing any Seagal movies. The early ones were ok, but crappy plots, crappier dialog, but very good action.

The Red Sox were good that 1 year, and I think the League felt pitty on them for not winning the Series in 86 years. They do suck, they are highly overrated. They dress sloppy, and it reflects on their playing.

As far as actors go, they can be considered hypocrites because they put a paycheck over their ideals. It doesn't matter if the movie sends a message or not.

#30    F3SS

F3SS

• 7,612 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:53 AM

View PostMstrMsn, on 06 January 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

Made me chuckle.

At least they're not the Pirates. My love for baseball died around 1990 and so did the Pirates. At least we have an awesome stadium though.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users