Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Interesting post-storm photograph

REDFL

My cousin posted this photo of storm damage (see bent over utility pole in the background)... I noticed something entirely different than the storm damage. Does anyone else notice the oddity in the foreground or is it my imagination? We've ruled out dust due to the fact that they'd just had about 4" of rain and hail with intense winds.

post-11307-0-89332800-1401922791_thumb.j

• Like 2

Was it hot before the storm? Could be steam after the rain.

• Like 7

That's one explanation my sister has suggested. She did not take the picture. I came here because I knew if there was really something there, someone here with a gift could determine if it is "just a cool picture" or if it is really what it looks like to me--a group of settlers crossing the prairie with their animals following behind. Either way, I love the picture. That's home to me.

• Like 2

Cool pic,still waters is probably right on this one.I have seen it happen many times,usualy almost always on the roadway.That does take a strange turn onto grass and dirt though.

• Like 1

thanks, all...several Facebook friends noticed the shapes...this storm was quite violent but thankfully no deaths. The figures to me looked like settlers making their way across the prairie. A man and woman in the front (the right side of the photo) and a trail of others following. My daughter said one looked like a goose :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I also agree to a point, that it is most likely steam from after a storm. I remember living in Jersey, after a quick storm in hot and humid weather, and all the puddles disappeared quickly. I watched as the steam floated from the ground up. The thing is, that was happening all over the ground. This picture is interesting. If the steam was just coming from the road, I can understand that. The road looks like it's dirt, and sometimes I can see puddles forming during a storm. Yet, I have yet to see steam rise to that large of size. And that some of the steam characters go off road. Some do look like figures and others look like line of geese. Something seems odd with this pic.

• Like 2

You got a higher res version you could maybe upload to somewhere like tinypic.com , you could thin link it back here :yes:

It appears to me that in the field beyond the road, the same "steam" wisps are appearing in lesser form.. it is odd that as the wisps turn from the road into the field below they take on a more human shape.. interesting pic..

Very cool looks like ghosts but still water could be ight

Looks like some sort of double exposure shot, in front of the first telegraph pole is a faded image of another that appears to be a replica of sorts to the bent one, also looks like a line of machine gun bullet strike trails but too linear to be steam...

I would suggest a composite construct given the image as is but whats the history here of the camera and the result, is it digital or old film style?

digital...my cousin took it with her phone...and I downloaded it from Facebook. My father is 81 and not prone to fantastical theories... he suggested that the storms combined with all of those live power lines being driven onto the ground caused a type of ripple on time, creating a moment where the past became visible in the present. I do know up until about 30 years ago our cousins land was just to the south (within walking distance) and still had virgin prairie grass that had not been torn up and turned into a corn field. Hard to tell, we are now on our 6th generation on our farm land in Iowa. I simply do not know but I love and appreciate every one of you who has taken a look and weighing in. Thanks!

It almost looks like the photo was taken from inside a car with the car window rolled up... That could explain what your seeing as reflections and/or "steam" markings

on the car window...

• Like 1

Taun, when I first looked at this photo, I wondered the same. If I want to be purely scientific about it, I would go with my first inkling--that was actually washout that had flooded down the slope (they received 4+ inches of rain in roughly an hour and after I first posted, it was determined that there was an F-1 tornado embedded in what they called an inland hurricane that day) and caused a difference in the way the soil and the grass looks. But, after that first glance, I kept looking and it looked like people and animals... knowing the history of the land, it just seemed that the more people I showed it to, the more it seemed to be "not just me". Like I said before, I love the photo and I appreciate every comment.

• Like 1

Not sure how storms flow in Iowa, but here in Oklahoma the majority of storms come in from the SW and move NE... If it's the same in Iowa, then from the broken pole it looks

as though the "settlers" are moving from West to East... Not sure how often that happened in Iowa, but very rarely here...

Looks like steam or smoke drifting across. Fascinating image though!

• Like 1

I'm going with what SW suggested, natural phenomena. I see odd weather phenomena around here, snow ghosts outside my office and mist/fog ghosts down by the pond. I figured out it's just the way those particular wind corridors combined with the lay of the land in my yard. Fairly creepy, even after seeing it several times and knowing it's completely natural.

That is very interesting. It could be steam but it looks organized if you know what I mean. You know steam is pretty random and it's hard to mistake for anything else.

• Like 1

thanks, all...several Facebook friends noticed the shapes...this storm was quite violent but thankfully no deaths. The figures to me looked like settlers making their way across the prairie. A man and woman in the front (the right side of the photo) and a trail of others following. My daughter said one looked like a goose :-)

I agree with your daughter. In the past, people like farmers kept geese for their eggs.

• Like 1

Peculiar timing! On the news a day or two ago they broadcasted a man's video of the downpour of rain behind his house and on into the distance splashing everywhere on the lake that began about 30 feet past him.

When he and his wife reviewed the video they noted he had captured a branch of a lightning strike. The image had a straight line of dirt flying streight up at regular intervals, much like this image. That took place where there was only a dirt surface--obviously very wet dirt.

Maybe we could suspect that this is the same affect, however giving up stream rather than dirt. The lightning would be sufficient to make steam from the rain water. An arm of lightning could easily be a straight line for that distance. The dirt dispersed slightly from the axis of the strike points--from like a point of the ground then when two feet up, around a 5 to 8 inch mouth of a cone shape. The whole cone was all there at one time. Perhaps steam disperses differently.

That fallen pole would likely be 11,000 volt lines. That could easily do some interesting things, too... I wonder if the distance between each of those images in question;;; I wonder if that distance can be associated with a 60 Herz

Edited by MyOtherAccount

found the news clip about the lightning strike

• Like 2

This is a great photo and a little creepy. It looks like people made of vapour.

As for lightning and thunder, I'm frightened of the both of them. Of course we don't get any of that in London with our perfect climate. :)

• Like 1