Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

UN votes to recognize the state of Palestine

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

http://www.newsday.c...tions-1.4276304

UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations voted overwhelmingly Thursday to recognize a Palestinian state, a victory decades in the making for the Palestinians after years of occupation and war. It was a sharp rebuke for Israel and the United States.

A Palestinian flag was quickly unfurled on the floor of the General Assembly, behind the Palestinian delegation, as the final vote was cast.

In an extraordinary lineup of international support, more than two-thirds of the world body's 193 member states approved the resolution upgrading the Palestinians to a nonmember observer state. It passed 138-9, with 41 abstentions.

The historic vote came 65 years to the day after the U.N. General Assembly voted in 1947 to recognize a state in Palestine, with the jubilant revelers then Jews. The Palestinians rejected that partition plan, and decades of tension and violence have followed.

Real independence, however, remains an elusive dream until the Palestinians negotiate a peace deal with the Israelis, who warned that the General Assembly action will only delay a lasting solution. Israel still controls the West Bank, east Jerusalem and access to Gaza, and it accused the Palestinians of bypassing negotiations with the campaign to upgrade their U.N. status.

Despite Thursday's triumph, the Palestinians face enormous limitations. They don't control their borders, airspace or trade, they have separate and competing governments in Gaza and the West Bank and they have no unified army or police.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#2    MichaelW

MichaelW

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,523 posts

• Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:32 AM

Well, progress is progress.

Signature removed - please see rule 3b.

#3    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:52 AM

How they Voted:

Attached File  UN Vote.jpg   23.77K   43 downloads

So very, very sad to see Canada on this list for me :td:

Edited by jugoso, 30 November 2012 - 03:54 AM.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#4    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,511 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:03 AM

View Postjugoso, on 30 November 2012 - 03:52 AM, said:

How they Voted:

Attachment UN Vote.jpg

So very, very sad to see Canada on this list for me :td:

Canada's only on the NO list because of the crooks running the country.  Their Conservative minority GOV doesn't represent ALL of Canada.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#5    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,587 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

View Postacidhead, on 30 November 2012 - 04:03 AM, said:

Canada's only on the NO list because of the crooks running the country.  Their Conservative minority GOV doesn't represent ALL of Canada.

Yeah, but we´re still on the list and they represent our country in the UN. I´m sure the Nauru or Palau Governments don´t speak for all of their citizens either. Shameful IMO. :td:

Edited by jugoso, 30 November 2012 - 04:16 AM.

G.Clinton

#6    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,447 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

Nice to see New Zealand voted yes.. :tu:

Sad to see Australia didn't have the dangly bits to vote either way.. :hmm:

#7    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,305 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:44 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 30 November 2012 - 07:08 AM, said:

Nice to see New Zealand voted yes.. :tu:

Sad to see Australia didn't have the dangly bits to vote either way.. :hmm:
All that money to be on the Security Council and our first vote we say "no thanks, we're not going to vote".

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#8    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,447 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 30 November 2012 - 07:44 AM, said:

All that money to be on the Security Council and our first vote we say "no thanks, we're not going to vote".

It was the general assembly, not the security council..

But what surprises me about the Ozzy affair, is gillard wanted to side with Israel/USA and vote no?? But gillard was told no by her own party..

#9    with bells on

with bells on

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

our govt in Australia is just as bad as the US.. its a joke.. they are all as thick as thieves..

there is still a long way to go for Palestine.. but its a step in the right direction..

#10    with bells on

with bells on

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 30 November 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

It was the general assembly, not the security council..

But what surprises me about the Ozzy affair, is gillard wanted to side with Israel/USA and vote no?? But gillard was told no by her own party..

Gillard is a twit.. the most hated woman in Oz, well, besides Gina Rinehart..

#11    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,641 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

It's obvious that the intent of this vote was primarily to save Abbas' political career and to try to box Israel in - it has nothing to do with making peace.  The Palestinians have decided that they can use world opinion to "acquire" their State without negotiating with the heavily armed people who currently control the land it will encompass.  They will be successful only in causing new violence ultimately.  Again, I point to the madness that seems to proliferate in the world concerning this issue.  Because Israel needs public opinion on their side to prosper in the land they are forced to play this game with the Palestinians - whom they could easily destroy if needed.  When the incentive of world opinion turns so thoroughly against them that it is no longer a restrainer, what do you suppose they will do?  
A:  Give in and pack their bags, leaving the land they have sworn to live or die on, or
B:  Soundly defeat their enemies who are sworn to kill them all?

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#12    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

The historic vote came 65 years to the day after the U.N. General Assembly voted in 1947 to divide Palestine into two states, one for Jews and one for Arabs

I don't get it, why is this allowed to be said? Surely this isn't correct.

Jew = Religion
Arab = Race

How is this allowed?! YET if you said one for Christians and one for African Americans.... It would be racist and politically incorrect.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#13    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,587 posts

G.Clinton

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

View Postand then, on 30 November 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

It's obvious that the intent of this vote was primarily to save Abbas' political career and to try to box Israel in - it has nothing to do with making peace.  The Palestinians have decided that they can use world opinion to "acquire" their State without negotiating with the heavily armed people who currently control the land it will encompass.  They will be successful only in causing new violence ultimately.  Again, I point to the madness that seems to proliferate in the world concerning this issue.  Because Israel needs public opinion on their side to prosper in the land they are forced to play this game with the Palestinians - whom they could easily destroy if needed.  When the incentive of world opinion turns so thoroughly against them that it is no longer a restrainer, what do you suppose they will do?
A:  Give in and pack their bags, leaving the land they have sworn to live or die on, or
B:  Soundly defeat their enemies who are sworn to kill them all?

I dunno....maybe return to preexisting 1967 borders and share the water as you suggested in another thread!! What is obvious from the vote for me is that the majority of countries support the recognition of a Palestinian State. If your solution to the problem is the continued subjugation of the Palestinian people, my comment is that that is no solution.

G.Clinton

#14    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,950 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

It's a good move and hopefully it will give the Palestinians a stronger position in future peace talks. Likewise I hope they don't use this to try and flood the internation courts with cases in an effort to get some revenge. But either way the government of the West Bank has used diplomacy instead of violence to further their aims and this should be encouraged. It's just a shame that Harper is throwing a hissy fit because Israel didn't get what it wanted.

Edited by Corp, 30 November 2012 - 04:58 PM.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#15    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,444 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

View PostAmbush Bug, on 30 November 2012 - 02:58 AM, said:

The commentary from the Obama administration in response to this welcome development has been ridiculous.

The continued subjugation of the Palestinian people is the problem, not the solution.   That's only a solution to someone if they care about the security of one group to the exclusion of the other.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users