Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Pipeline Ruptures In Arkansas

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,204 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

Possibly up to 10,000 barrels of oil have spilled after a pipeline busted that carries crude to the Texas Gulf Coast.  Dozens of homes were evacuated.  What a mess.

We really need another pipeline running through the country.

Homes evacuated after ExxonMobil oil pipeline spill in Arkansas

#2    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,687 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

One of my buddies was talking about this earlier today, and I suggested a link to him... I'll share it here too, it's from Mayflower... http://www.cityofmay...m/archives/6107

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,204 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

There is a pipeline not too far from where I live and I hope it never breaks.  These oil spills are killing the environment one spill at a time.

#4    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

View PostHilander, on 31 March 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

There is a pipeline not too far from where I live and I hope it never breaks.  These oil spills are killing the environment one spill at a time.

Amen.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#5    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:08 AM

A few days ago a train carrying oil from Canada derailed in Minnesota, spilling it's entire load of 26,000 gallons (98,000 liters).

Truck, train, pipes, it doesn't matter, accidents are going to happen. As demand increases we can expect to see more spills.

#6    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,204 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:49 AM

You add all the individual oil spill's up, that's a lot of oil, a lot of contamination.

Wish we could come up with something better than oil.

#7    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,303 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

View PostHilander, on 31 March 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

Possibly up to 10,000 barrels of oil have spilled after a pipeline busted that carries crude to the Texas Gulf Coast.  Dozens of homes were evacuated.  What a mess.

We really need another pipeline running through the country.

Homes evacuated after ExxonMobil oil pipeline spill in Arkansas

You do realize that millions of barrels of oil move through pipelines each and every day around the US, right?

It's also the safest - BY FAR - method of transporting not only oil, but hundreds of other materials.

What is your solution?

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#8    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,204 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

There is a video with this article of the oil spill.  Looks so nasty and they say it really stinks.  Hope Obama doesn't let them run another pipeline across the country to carry this tar sands oil from Canada to the Gulf to be shipped to foreign countries.

It’s not just any oil, either: it’s tar sands, a heavy, gritty and more toxic type of oil that is particularly difficult to transport and even more difficult to clean out of water sources.
Shocking: Tar sands oil flows through Arkansas neighborhood’s streets

My solution would be to look for other forms of energy.

#9    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

View PostHilander, on 01 April 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

There is a video with this article of the oil spill.  Looks so nasty and they say it really stinks.  Hope Obama doesn't let them run another pipeline across the country to carry this tar sands oil from Canada to the Gulf to be shipped to foreign countries.

It's sad that we already have environment friendly forms of energy but it's just not being invested in.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#10    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,170 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

Just like Deepwater Horizon, the quantity of oil escaping from this leak is growing daily, exponentially.

I wonder why Obama is not taking a trip down there to console the locals now that their homes and environment are ruined?  Maybe it would be too embarassing, considering his support of the Keystone project?

#11    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,049 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

From this article on CNN

Exxon Mobil met with displaced residents over the weekend to explain how they can make claims for losses. "If you have been harmed by this spill then we're going to look at how to make that right," Exxon Mobil Pipeline Co. President Gary Pruessing told them

That's probably all they will do... just look at how to make it right without actually making anything right.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#12    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,303 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

View PostHilander, on 01 April 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

And we're doing that, but until that technology is fully online, what do we do in the interim?

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#13    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,740 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

Spills are part and parcel of the oil industry.  As long as we remain addicted to oil, we can expect more of them.  It is hypocritical to blame the industry for making a mess while we continue to buy their products.  They are a large and powerful group only because we have made them large and powerful.  If we really want to do something about oil (and tar) spills, we are going to have to start using other forms of energy.

How?  For openers, triple the commitment to wind energy.  Why settle for 20% of US energy being produced by wind in 2030 when we can have 30%?  Or more?

Nuclear energy still has the risk of large-scale contamination and the problem of storage of nuclear waste, but maybe...   Fast breeders can use reprocessed waste.  We have enough of that on hand to generate our power needs for the next thousand years without mining any more.  That's $50 billion worth.  Why not use it?  Fast breeders produce waste with a half-life of about 300 years, rather than 5000 years.  That's a significant reduction of the storage problem and a lot of carbon-free energy, too.

Might that fuel be pelletized and coated with a ceramic covering that would keep pellets apart, thus eliminating the risk of a melt-down?  New reactor designs could be made safer.  At any rate, with the continuing threat to the climate, what do we have to lose?
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#14    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,791 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

Doug there has never been a fast breeder reactor go into full commercial  production due to the intrinsic technical difficulties and significant increase in overall cost.

A well balanced analysis;

http://e360.yale.edu...r_panacea/2557/

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 04 April 2013 - 03:01 PM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#15    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,740 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 04 April 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

Doug there has never been a fast breeder reactor go into full production due to the intrinsic technical difficulties and significant increase in overall cost.

Br Cornelius
Detroit Edison's Fermi reactor did.

Of course, it had a little meltdown.  But I think we ought to at least take another look at fast breeders.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users