Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Can number of rapes be decreased?

number of rapes decreasing rape nos

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#76    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

Cultural perspectives need a paradigm shift where this is crystal clear in the minds of society when dealing with rapists and other criminals

I very much like those words.

#77    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,475 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:41 AM

How to avoid rape:

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#78    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

Re the video above: is it even possible to p!** or vomit at will? I know I couldn't do that.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#79    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 25 January 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

This topic is a second try at a similar one that was closed a little while ago because posters were becoming disrespectful of each other. PLEEEASE people, keep it nice this time around. Rape is a terrible crime with immediate and long term effects. It needs to be discussed, and males and females need to work together for a better understanding of how the opposite gender to their own, views the situation. Then we need to act in accordance with that understanding.

Please bear with me as I make 3 or 4 posts that relate to aspects brought up in the previous thread.

The most important point IMO that came out of the previous thread was : 'Ideals vs Reality'. Of course we need ideals and our minds need to be constantly turned back to them, BUT, at one and the same time we must be realistic in telling women and children what the pitfalls are and teach them how to stay safe. Encourage youngsters to have ideals and to speak out about them, but remind them that they have to live in the real world in the mean time.

Ideals and reality have to co-exist. As 'eightbits' said in another thread recently: 'The ideal cannot be the enemy of the necessary'. Or, as 'Yamato' said: 'Admitting something exists does not mean advocating it'. I really don't think that this can be emphasised enough. Whilst holding tight to our ideals and promoting them whenever we can, we must not lose sight of the fact that we may be in danger from those who do not hold the same ideals as us. We may believe very strongly in our ideals, but we must never forget that others often view the world and life very differently.

be realistic in telling women and children what the pitfalls are and teach them how to stay safe

This is why male rape, while not as frequent, is not taken seriously because for many it doesn't even exist or could ever be a problem.

#80    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

View PostYamato, on 26 February 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:

How to avoid rape:

How annoying.

#81    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,475 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

View PostI believe you, on 26 February 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

How annoying.
Yeah just quietly accept the BS, it's less annoying that way.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#82    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:22 PM

http://www.dailymail...k-attacked.html

In a study by the country's Institute for Applied Economic Research, 65.1% of Brazilians think women who are provocatively dressed ask to be attacked.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#83    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,664 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:35 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 30 March 2014 - 10:22 PM, said:

http://www.dailymail...k-attacked.html

In a study by the country's Institute for Applied Economic Research, 65.1% of Brazilians think women who are provocatively dressed ask to be attacked.
Which is indicative of how much we still need to learn about the true nature of rape.  In my mind that equates to 65.1% of the population are acting as "enablers" for the rapist mentality.  It is an issue of education and correct evolution of morality.  

Of course different societies are at different levels of comprehension about the matter of morality.  What is the percentage of USA or Australian citizens who believe the same thing? I'll bet they are different.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#84    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,407 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:16 PM

It would be interesting if they weren't.

#85    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,664 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:50 PM

They could be worse or better, I am hoping they are better as my own life experience is aligned to those cultures more closely than others so it affects me,  but I realize that could be wishful thinking.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#86    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,407 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:07 AM

I was thinking more along the lines of the aggressive nature of rape being more a part of the male psyche than culture.  It may well be that it isn't rape culture that gets men to rape, but rather that men raping creates a rape culture.

Not that it makes much of a difference in pragmatic terms.  It's mostly a mental exercise.

#87    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,097 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

Stiffer and swift punishments will decrease rapes. I had 2 students who were Persian girls from Iran. They used to go back to Iran periodically with their parents. They told me that in Iran they are allowed to go wherever they want. Even at 10 and 12 they could walk to the store or shopping centers by themselves etc etc. here inThe US their parents were much more careful about what they were allowed to do. I was perplexed because in my head I would think Iran would be a more dangerous place, but it simply isn't for girls.. Back then anyway. It was about 10 years ago.  

The answer was simple. If you sexually assault a woman in Iran they chopped your head off without little more than a thought. Now I know their are tons of problems with this and the way traditionally religions treat women is deplorable , but it does say something. The simple fact is that while walking down the street those girls were safer than even here in the us by simple virtue of what the punishment was.

Personally I think the punishment for rape should be castration. But even this is dicey... When you play with economic choices unintended consequences will emerge.

Edited by White Crane Feather, 31 March 2014 - 10:50 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#88    Mr Supertypo

Mr Supertypo

Hi...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

• not for nothing, but you sound like a half [...]

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

View Postaquatus1, on 31 March 2014 - 06:07 AM, said:

I was thinking more along the lines of the aggressive nature of rape being more a part of the male psyche than culture.  It may well be that it isn't rape culture that gets men to rape, but rather that men raping creates a rape culture.

Not that it makes much of a difference in pragmatic terms.  It's mostly a mental exercise.

And what about Lesbian rape? yes there are also lesbians who rape other lesbians....ya know?

Finally got my black belt....

#89    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,407 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

What about it?

#90    Mr Supertypo

Mr Supertypo

Hi...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

• not for nothing, but you sound like a half [...]

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

you said

Well if rape is part of the male psyche then how come that women also commit rape?

Finally got my black belt....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users